Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Post by CinWin »

Action steps at the end of each chapter are two-fold. Sometimes they pertain to the readers life - other times they are just something I would not do. I made my own action steps for this book. Also, when you take the time to do that yourself, it solidifies the knowledge into your brain and you get more out of the book.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Ah, great idea! That makes it personal specific.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I found this book to be filled with many actions steps through those steps may not be in or of physical form...
  • Crawl, walk then run,
  • Taking responsibility for yourself
  • Take control of your own thinking
These to me are all action steps along with many others that I felt this book consists of.
Chelsea N. Hackett
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

chelhack wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 23:05 I found this book to be filled with many actions steps through those steps may not be in or of physical form...
  • Crawl, walk then run,
  • Taking responsibility for yourself
  • Take control of your own thinking
These to me are all action steps along with many others that I felt this book consists of.
Hi,

I guess I see those as guidelines, or rules. To me it's like someone saying, "I'm going to teach you how to drive. First drive the speed limit, then slow down when you see a yellow light and stop when you see a red light. Stay in your lane and concentrate on the road."

Though you need to know those rules, that alone does not teach you to drive. You need a basic knowledge of how a car works. You need to understand the difference between the gas and the break, and you need to learn how to set the mirrors, etc. Those are the action steps.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Holarwale
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Holarwale »

I think it was written in a way where one idea flows into the next. I sometimes breeze past action steps in books anyway, and I felt this was good as it was written. I was able to grasp on to what he described without further exercises at the end of each chapter.
Everything happens for a reason...
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

No, I never really thought of the action steps until this thread appeared before my eyes. That is a typical motivational book, but the title proves this is a different type of book. It works ok for me without the action plan and steps.
mapittz
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by mapittz »

I'm still in the midst of completing this book, however even half way through, I feel the lack of action steps. I don't want exercises at the end of each chapter, maybe bullet points of what is trying to be stated, however it felt as if rambling was happening with blunt expressions.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

Having something written down is usually the first step in actually trying to change. The lack of action steps were a bit of a pity but I don't think the author claimed to be a life coach, so I was fine with their absence.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Cher432 wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 12:46 Having something written down is usually the first step in actually trying to change. The lack of action steps were a bit of a pity but I don't think the author claimed to be a life coach, so I was fine with their absence.
Interesting point.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I think more direct action steps would have been beneficial for several readers.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

acremer wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 00:02 I think more direct action steps would have been beneficial for several readers.
I think they would also benefit some readers, but as I can see from the comments, not all readers thought they were necessary.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Post by Ashley Cremer »

True. To each their own.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I really think that this book was more of a reminder for those who have already heard the main points than a true self help. As I read it, there were a few moments of 'Oh yeah' reminders. I don't think action points would have been very helpful because it really isn't a 'how to' book with steps to take. It's more like a metaphorical slap back into reality.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

I feel like suggesting action steps or providing anecdotes would have been extremely valuable. Without them, it can feel like the author's ideas don't have much practical grounding at all.
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

ViziVoir wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 19:24 I feel like suggesting action steps or providing anecdotes would have been extremely valuable. Without them, it can feel like the author's ideas don't have much practical grounding at all.
I agree.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”