Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Re: Did the lack of Action Steps take away from the usefulness of this book?

Post by EvaDar »

abbiejoice wrote: 15 Nov 2018, 20:09 Lack of action steps doesn't necessarily lessen the usefulness of a book. Some recommendations could merely be implied within the philosophy. In a way, a book can be meant to be inspirational and not instructional.
I completely agree. Some readers don't enjoy a bunch of exercises and just want the information. For my taste, I prefer some action steps, and would have liked to see them in this book, particularly since the author's philosophy is very action-oriented. For instance, what if you just aren't a person who is internally motivated to make the changes in the book. It might have helped to have some more specific action steps about cultivating motivation. But I think it is a perfectly sound choice not to include them, all the same.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 15:54 I am feeling a little on the fence about this issue. I am enjoying the author's sharing of his own personal stories and can glean some action steps from that. But I can see a use for a short section of recommended practices. For instance, the author mentions that he visualized the solution to a problem before falling asleep at night and found that the solution was more accessible to him in the morning. I have found this to be true as well. But, it is a conscious practice that I do every night, and it is helpful to have some idea of how to do it. So, I guess I am missing some attention to "how to" material.
I agree with Eva; whilst I agree that these action steps can be rather distracting, it would definitely be helpful if someone needed a start point. Perhaps the author could have placed these at the back of the book in order not to detract from the reading flow.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

gen_g wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 00:54
Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 15:54 I am feeling a little on the fence about this issue. I am enjoying the author's sharing of his own personal stories and can glean some action steps from that. But I can see a use for a short section of recommended practices. For instance, the author mentions that he visualized the solution to a problem before falling asleep at night and found that the solution was more accessible to him in the morning. I have found this to be true as well. But, it is a conscious practice that I do every night, and it is helpful to have some idea of how to do it. So, I guess I am missing some attention to "how to" material.
I agree with Eva; whilst I agree that these action steps can be rather distracting, it would definitely be helpful if someone needed a start point. Perhaps the author could have placed these at the back of the book in order not to detract from the reading flow.
I am quite surprised at the number of readers who think action steps would be distracting. I really don't understand why, since even if they came at the end of the chapter, all you would have to do is turn the page and keep reading. The chapter is ending, anyway. I don't see how it would be any more distracting than an illustration or a quote. In this particular book, you are being asked to sign your initials, which I found redundant and unhelpful.

But, I guess I see this book as a "How To" book (which means you are going to be instructed) instead of a philosophy book.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I haven't read the book yet, but I agree that some steps at the end of each chapter would be a big help.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I didn’t think action steps were needed. I think it would have distracted from the book. I liked the way the author discussed the topics.
stalliongirlke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stalliongirlke.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by stalliongirlke »

Exercises are a great way to gauge a learners progress. so it would have been a good idea to have had the exercises as you suggested.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 07:22 I found this book lacked Action Steps, and spent much of the book waiting for them. Did you find that the lack of definitive plan detracted from your ability to get the most out of his philosophy?

Would written exercises at the end of each chapter have helped you learn more from the book ?

I thought written exercises at the end of the chapter would have been a valuable way to anchor the information an help me make some changes.
It is true that written exercises will always help to reinforce what has been taught but I believe that at times it is good to incorporate the lessons into our everyday lives rather than what we shall be 'forced' to do.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

It is helpful to jot down what i've learned, but i know not all will like it. I love doing diary so i found good.

One thing, it will help me someday and what i have written will surely remind me and got amazed that i did what i wrote.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Jacci wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 20:48 It is helpful to jot down what i've learned, but i know not all will like it. I love doing diary so i found good.

One thing, it will help me someday and what i have written will surely remind me and got amazed that i did what i wrote.
That's good to hear. It's great to be able to follow through on what you read.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Having some way to apply the author's practices and suggestions would be very beneficial. I'm a bit of an over-thinker and tend to do everything he said not to since it all causes me all sorts of anxiety.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:43 I think it was written in a way where one idea flows into the next. I sometimes breeze past action steps in books anyway, and I felt this was good as it was written. I was able to grasp on to what he described without further exercises at the end of each chapter.
I agree with you on this. I believe that the lack of action steps is what made it such a huge success. I don't feel like I am being told what to do, which is something I loath. I feel like I am consciously making the decision that I want to be happier and more successful.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I understood his three main areas (crawling, walking, running) as the "action steps." I appreciated the way the book treats the reader as a adult. He gave broad explanations and allows each reader the ability to put the advice into practice in their life without a "to do" list. This recognizes that everyone is in a different place in life and in different circumstances.
Jacci
Currently Reading:

Post by Jacci »

FictionLover wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 22:46
Jacci wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 20:48 It is helpful to jot down what i've learned, but i know not all will like it. I love doing diary so i found good.

That's good to hear. It's great to be able to follow through on what you read.
Thanks, i love writing! Many times it saves my day when I can't understand what's going on in my life, i will read them again. This book becomes a part of it.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Jacci
Currently Reading:

Post by Jacci »

Kibetious wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 08:33
FictionLover wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 07:22 I found this book lacked Action Steps, and spent much of the book waiting for them. Did you find that the lack of definitive plan detracted from your ability to get the most out of his philosophy?

Would written exercises at the end of each chapter have helped you learn more from the book ?

I thought written exercises at the end of the chapter would have been a valuable way to anchor the information an help me make some changes.
It is true that written exercises will always help to reinforce what has been taught but I believe that at times it is good to incorporate the lessons into our everyday lives rather than what we shall be 'forced' to do.
👍👍👍🏻👍🏻

Thoughts become useless if we will not try to develop it within us. sometimes hard, but trying to figure it out is so cool.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is true that there is no use of having thoughts and a lot of information, knowledge, if it is not helping us in any way. The author I think tried to make the book address the entire aspect of a person and not some specific areas hence exercise might not have been a good option.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”