Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by kemp1kor »

Doing the same thing in the same way over and over again and expecting a different outcome. It’s difficult not to fall into this cycle sometimes, but I do agree that it is insanity to do so.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I suppose insanity would be doing the same thing over and over again but expecting a different outcome. However, in general, I think insanity is simply something that differs from the societal norm.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

In a way, that definition is myopic. There are instances where doing the same thing over and over brings forth a positive and different outcome. It necessarily doesn't mean that the doer is insane.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

In the sense of not bettering your life, I agree with this definition 100%. I have been "insane" for a long time according to this standard and am only now taking steps to change that.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

What is the essence of doing the thing that isn't taking us anywhere? According to me, insanity is doing something thinking that it is right yet it opposite is actually the right thing.
VandaQ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vandaq.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by VandaQ »

I'm not sure I can define insanity like this. I would define the sunk cost fallacy as what the author describes insanity to be. The idea behind it is that you get to a point where you have invested time/resources/emotional value into something or someone, that you cannot give up, even though the chances of succeeding are slim. It's like bad gambling. If you lose a substantial amount of money already, you are more likely to invest more. What the author describes, in my opinion, is irrationality. Despite understanding something doesn't work, people don't change because of the belief things will change around on their own - that is irrational, not insane. Insanity, in my view, is a complete loss of sanity or perspective. When something or someone is described as 'insane', I view it as completely removed from reality.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

I would say yes. Nothing drives me crazier than feeling like I keep making the same mistake or doing the same stupid thing over and over. Sometimes, it's tough to find my way out of the cycle because it's driven me so nuts. If that's not insanity (or something close), I don't know what is.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

There were lots of debates as to whether Winston Smith in 1984 was insane.
The reader thinks he’s sane because he thinks like them but the characters think he’s insane because he doesn't think like them. Insanity in that case just appears to be whether or not you for in with the crowd.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Staying in a miserable job that you hate while feeling that you achieve nothing us not insanity, it may be that you are afraid of change and failure. That’s perfectly sane.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

To me, insanity is living life with the sole aim of making money and not taking a single day off to actually live life.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Gotyourbakula
Favorite Author: Steve Cavanagh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gotyourbakula.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
fav_author_id: 42995

Post by Gotyourbakula »

Fear of failure makes you crazy because you're willing to accept a routine that isn't working. But sometimes you can't see that it isn't working until someone tells you.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I agree with her statement. You can't expect a change in your life if you are unwilling to change your ways. It's extremely rare that a person's life is changed for the better without them having to put forth any effort.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

I agree with others above. There are plenty of things to try for if what we did shrink. We cannot undo our actions, but we can still move forward in our present time. Failures remain in the past, we still have the present. It's up to you to remain in stack or do something that will alleviate your situation.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Many grew up hearing, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." We need to have wisdom to know when and how to apply these sayings.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

kdstrack wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 15:54 Many grew up hearing, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." We need to have wisdom to know when and how to apply these sayings.
I agree! My husband always said, just try this business ideas and we will find out what is the best. Stories of other peope are helpful as well for our success.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”