What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

HollandBlue wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 15:55
Charlotte_Shi wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:14 As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.
Good point, I had forgotten that statement and it really is true.
Thank you, I was actually intrigued by your post. To my way of thinking, the signing could be something that distinguishes this book from other similar ones. The competition is intense in the author/publishers/booksellers market. It is all about great writing, of course, but having some distinctive features within a book could certainly be helpful (we are already witnessing the increasing importance of a book cover and title).
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

I was of the opinion that thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter would be more helpful. Since I read the in ebook format, there was no way to actually sign my initials, and I don’t feel that doing so would have helped me in any way.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Yeah, I think initialling the end of each chapter gives a real sense of accountability and engagement. It definitely made me feel like the book was work I was actively engaged in completing, rather than just another self-help book to be read and then forgotten.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

kemp1kor wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 19:39 I was of the opinion that thought-provoking questions at the end of each chapter would be more helpful. Since I read the in ebook format, there was no way to actually sign my initials, and I don’t feel that doing so would have helped me in any way.
That's a really good idea, to have review questions and thought-provoking questions.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

joshfee77 wrote: 19 Nov 2018, 12:42 Yeah, I think initialling the end of each chapter gives a real sense of accountability and engagement. It definitely made me feel like the book was work I was actively engaged in completing, rather than just another self-help book to be read and then forgotten.
It does make you feel more engaged in the book.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
(1466-1536)
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Lmahle »

It seems that society is moving towards electronic readers which makes initialing a book a bit more difficult! I honestly felt like it dated the book by asking people to initial it.
jhalwix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhalwix.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by jhalwix »

If I had a physical copy I might have signed my name, because it helps keep the reader accountable to themselves and in theory to the advice given.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

By signing your initials, it's an acknowledgement. Yes, I read this chapter and understood it and I am now ready to apply what I have learned.
Perhaps go a step further and date the initials and if you read it again at a later point initial and date again. Perhaps each time you will learn something new.
sharon8910
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon8910.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by sharon8910 »

I don't mind signing my initials in any book, I used to do it back in high school days, just no idea I can do that in my app hehe...
Monie_raey
Currently Reading: Longthroat Memoirs
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monie-raey.html
Latest Review: Junk Justice by Gerry Rising

Post by Monie_raey »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:37 I think there is the actual signing of it where the eye and the hand coordinate to get it on paper that can be significant, but also there is a vow that is being made that impacts the spirit and the mental part of us that solidifies our commitment to what we have read and that we will implement it. It’s a contract between ourselves and ourselves and for me, that has great meaning to motivate me.
That's an interesting way to look at it.
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Vitter Krane »

That sounded more of an oath taking ceremony. I believe it was a show of allegiance to the book's teaching and guidance and consequently an obligation to live by them.
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Thanks for commenting everyone, you've all brought up very good points!
(1466-1536)
Lmahle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lmahle.html
Latest Review: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959) by David J Castello

Post by Lmahle »

Charlotte_Shi wrote: 17 Nov 2018, 21:10
Charlotte_Shi wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 20:14 As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.
Thank you, I was actually intrigued by your post. To my way of thinking, the signing could be something that distinguishes this book from other similar ones. The competition is intense in the author/publishers/booksellers market. It is all about great writing, of course, but having some distinctive features within a book could certainly be helpful (we are already witnessing the increasing importance of a book cover and title).
Yeah but is having the reader initial the end of each chapter really going to make anyone stand out?
HollandBlue
Currently Reading:

Post by HollandBlue »

Lmahle wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 23:07
Yeah but is having the reader initial the end of each chapter really going to make anyone stand out?
Signing your initials probably won't make the book stand out, but it is an unique idea for the author to get his points contemplated.
(1466-1536)
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

HollandBlue wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 06:48
Lmahle wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 23:07

Signing your initials probably won't make the book stand out, but it is an unique idea for the author to get his points contemplated.
Well, it does make the book different from other similar ones…

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”