Impact of the title

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
jhashamik4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Impact of the title

Post by jhashamik4 »

The title is the first thing people see so a great title is necessary for sales.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

The first impression of the book from this title would be, I'd say, that the book is about personal change and growth, although not covered in rose petals. That is, it says - don't cry over yourself, don't pity yourself and go thrive. I think.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
dhomespot
Currently Reading: Blind Black Sheep
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhomespot.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by dhomespot »

I think the title makes you stop and realize that you can get lost in your own bubble and form a rut it is hard to get out of.
"Maybe ever’body in the whole damn world is scared of each other."- John Steinbeck
Sh3rlockian
Currently Reading: The Affair of the Mysterious Letter
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by Sh3rlockian »

The title's impact was eye catching and attention grabbing (as was intended). That being said, there will always be people either instantly attracted or violently repelled by gotcha titles. It took me a minute to get past the spelling of 'buts', but then I got it :lol2:
safah26121990
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-safah26121990.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by safah26121990 »

For me it was like a kick in the butt, it was like if life is bad change things.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

The title is somewhat crude but effective. I think it reflects the down to earth and no-nonsense style of the book. It will definitely attract the kind of reader who is not interested in reading about magical theories that won't actually work when it gets down to the practical realities of life. The author is a realist and the title reflects this as well as being an excellent reflection on the overall style of the book.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I personally love the title. It immediately captures my attention with a visual picture. That isn’t really a place you want to be in life. No one wants to be at the bottom, but in the end it is up to them to come to the light. Great way of introducing a book in my opinion.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Honestly, my first thought was to get my head out of my but's. I liked that title.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
moj8668
Currently Reading: Fawkes
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moj8668.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by moj8668 »

I get what the author was going for, but the title is a bit combative. Maybe that was the author's intent! While I do agree that many of the difficulties/frustrations we deal with are often self-induced, the implication of the title is you are at fault for EVERY bad thing that happens to you and that's just not reality. I might still choose to read the book just out of curiosity but my defenses would definitely be very high!
jesdav16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesdav16.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper

Post by jesdav16 »

The title gave me a feeling like "This is a book that deals with real life issues in a comical way".
Michelle Boehnke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-boehnke.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Michelle Boehnke »

I think the title is pretty perfect. It’s pretty straight forward and in that way basically scream out of the bookshelves: “ Get your but up from the couch and start changing your life for the better!”
I really like that because in that way the people who see the book in the store might think “wow he’s serious about it, I think I could need an honest book like that that’s gonna open my eyes”
jesscat304
Favorite Book: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f*ck
Currently Reading: It Ends with Us
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jesscat304.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by jesscat304 »

I feel like the title embodies the fact that no matter what life throws at you, you just have to get up and keep going. Thus, seeming to put a twist on the common self help book by focusing on being resilient, rather than creating something that’s perfect.
ChydeanmahE95
Currently Reading: Baggage
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chydeanmahe95.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by ChydeanmahE95 »

I always, always look at the title of a book before reading the description. If I'm not intrigued by the title, I find it hard reading the book.
This particular title is very catchy and arouses curiosity.
The faintest pen is sharper than the mightiest sword.
Angelime
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Angelime »

The title tells us (the readers), that we should have a positive attitude about things. If you go through life dwelling on all the bad things that have happened, you won’t get very far. Mark shows us in the title that we need to stop blaming our problems on other people, and just take responsibility for what we do.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

I think the title of a book is very important, because the main attraction of a book is its title, after that it is the cover of the book and its contents. so it's very important to make the book judging interesting and easy to understand.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”