Personal stories

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Personal stories

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Yolimari wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 04:22 I liked that story too! When I was reading, I expected the friend to take advantage of him. I have had a similar experience with a few family members. They say they have a financial problem and anxiety because of it. One gives them help. They spend the money on unnecessary things or luxuries.

I also liked when he said that having a baby at seventeen was his responsibility. That happened to me at twenty-three. Everyone thought my future was doomed. My husband (at the time my boyfriend) and I took full responsibility. I did not let the pregnancy deter me from finishing my bachelor's degree. I graduated Magna Cum Laude. Then, I completed a master's degree with high honors. Twelve years later we are still fine, not doomed as people thought.
This is a wonderful personal story, Yolimari. It could be a lesson and an encouragement to others who may view such as an end to their lives.
Good to see that this topic is always benefiting us all through such sharings.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I think my favorite personal story or tidbit was when he said that he didn't always follow his own advice. That was what really sold me about this book, that he didn't try to say that we were all living horrible lives and that he had always followed these rules and been happy. He admitted that he sometimes fell short and wasn't efficient, and that he has to remind himself of his own rules to be happy.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The story that most impacted me was the information he shared about his marriage. His honesty about impulsive behavior and facing up to the consequences was moving. He used this example to emphasize his point that no situation should be used as an excuse to keep you from moving forward. I think most people would think this type of situation would qualify as a valid excuse. He shows what a difference your mindset can make in "any" circumstance.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Kibetious wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 22:35 These personal stories added a lot of authenticity and the importance of the book over the others. The reality is that there are so many books out there in the stores on the same topic and subject matter thus including a personal account is always good as it gives the book some uniqueness.
👍👍👍
Awesome! This one is perfect for a strrugling person to thrive in life no matter what happens. Books have the same thoughts, to help, to share and to earn. ☘🍀
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

His stories about peer pressure and being taken advantage of are the most relatable for me. I have had similar things happen to me, and they have made it harder for me to be positive. I'm willing to work towards a more positive outlook.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Learning much on the impact of the personal stories in this forum. At times, it is very easy to read through the stories without getting much since one may not get what the stories mean. This forum is making them seem more relatable through the various sharings.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

I think the idea.around surrounding yourself with successful people is to have their attitude and habits run off onto you, so that you also become successful. It's like the saying goes, lay with dogs, you're going to get fleas, but in a positive way.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

My favorite story was also about the one where he lent money to his friends, only to have his friend drive a brand new car later that year. Reading that story made me think of how some people you consider friends are really just taking advantage of you.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

Jsovermyer wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 21:54 A story that really left me with questions was near the front of the book. His successful friend tells him that to be successful you must associate with successful people. I question if this is good advice.
This is interesting. I am an exercise and sports coach and I've read a few so-called inspirational books and essays that say something similar. I definitely think it's odd. I read one essay that advised surrounding yourself by people who are more talented than you are in order to create a successful business. I think we have to make sure there's a difference between surrounding yourself by people who make you want to be a better person, and surrounding yourself by people whose ideas and successes you can take credit for.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Not everyone is in need of help and not every help has to be financially related. By just spending time with someone in need or letting them talk to you about their problems can also be just as affected. I did enjoy how the author decided to help his friends regardless of what he finds out later.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I enjoyed his story about his VW bus and the birth of his daughter - and how he was solely resposible for how it affected his life, and how his girlfriend was solely responsible for how it impacted hers. I usually think of children as demanding joint responsibility, but that's not how it works in the real world. It's best to recognize one's singular responsibility early on so no matter what happens one is ready to do what one must.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Kister Bless wrote: 11 Nov 2018, 01:20 The personal story I loved was where Mark lend his friend money only to find out later in the same year that his friend was driving a brand new car. This portrays a true picture of what we face in life. Most are times we go out of our way just to help our friends but later they take us for granted. They take our kindness for weakness.
I really liked this personal story too. I felt like I could really relate to times when I tried to help someone and realized they either didn’t need the help as much as they claimed or took whatever help I could provide for granted to my detriment. The book really helps you look at things you do in your life that don’t benefit you.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

Wow, so many personal stories! I don't have any in particular that moved me, but I can say that the stories help the reader to connect with the author on a personal level and ask themselves whether that is the same way they could have handled that scenario.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

To be successful, you must surround yourself with successful people. I'm trying to see all the ins and outs of that.. and although there may be something I'm missing, I'm not sure this is true. It seems a bit elitist to me.
And what is the definition of success anyway? To be rich? That's not the only type of success out there.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I like the story about the author wanting the VW but not having enough money to purchase it. This caused the author to learn the lesson of preparing and saving for future opportunities.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”