Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
JossyMicheal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Who is qualified to give advice like this?

Post by JossyMicheal »

A good question people who are qualified to give advise like this, from my oen point of view people who are qualified to give advise like this are those with better experience about life .. Am not saying another person experience about life is better than anyone but we need people to talk to us about their own experience so that we can learn from them. Sometimes take corrections
Jacquelyn-63
Currently Reading: Call of the Couch
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacquelyn-63.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by Jacquelyn-63 »

I feel like some of these self-help books are motivated by an authors family and friends urging them to share their experiences. These are the diamonds in the rough. Then there are those authors that just do research and it is not really genuine at all. It is sad to see how many self-help books are out there filled with common knowledge and not really helpful information.
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Ghost11111 »

Anyone who either thinks they have found the answer to a certain problem or is arrogant enough to think that their word is law could write a self-help book. All it takes is enough determination to sit down and write a book. There is no real authority to any of these authors except some of their experiences do help with their credibility.
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

I really like this topic question. I think that if other people can learn from one’s experiences, then it is appropriate to share them. I assume that this is the goal that the author intended, but there is also a possible motive of money.
cdhundley
Currently Reading: The Book of Man
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdhundley.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by cdhundley »

People are always looking for advice. The market is filled with so many similar books I'm not sure that qualifications mean much anymore. I think in my case I would take this kind of advice from someone who had accomplished a goal on my own list.
"Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." Marcus Aurelius
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I think the author was being authentic when he said he genuinely wanted to help others live a more fulfilling life. I do not think for a minute that his life is perfect, but hopefully if we live long enough we learn from our mistakes - at least some of them!! :lol2: I agree that everyone has a purpose in life. His may very well be to share his life lessons with others in his own unique style. Nothing wrong with getting paid to do what you were made to do...
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Manali_DC wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 03:20 I really like the topic you have thrown up for discussion because this is exactly what I have wondered every time I see a book of this genre. What makes someone think that their life is so perfect that they can tell others how to live theirs. And how is it that they are so confident about what they need to do in a given situation when most of us are assailed by doubts and uncertainties.
To be fair I think that people who write these have had experiences which have made them wiser or maybe they have put in a great deal of study into human behavior and they think that their experiences can actually help guide a few people in similar dilemmas.
Same. Same. Same.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

Manali_DC wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 03:20 I really like the topic you have thrown up for discussion because this is exactly what I have wondered every time I see a book of this genre. What makes someone think that their life is so perfect that they can tell others how to live theirs. And how is it that they are so confident about what they need to do in a given situation when most of us are assailed by doubts and uncertainties.
To be fair I think that people who write these have had experiences which have made them wiser or maybe they have put in a great deal of study into human behavior and they think that their experiences can actually help guide a few people in similar dilemmas.
Reading your post, I wonder if your issues with what is presented in the book or how is it presented. If the author narrates his/ her story, not in the form of advising, we may benefit, right? We don't like preaching though.
Abhyarna
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abhyarna.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Abhyarna »

MsH2k wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:57 I think the author was being authentic when he said he genuinely wanted to help others live a more fulfilling life. I do not think for a minute that his life is perfect, but hopefully if we live long enough we learn from our mistakes - at least some of them!! :lol2: I agree that everyone has a purpose in life. His may very well be to share his life lessons with others in his own unique style. Nothing wrong with getting paid to do what you were made to do...
I couldn't agree more. We should not miss any opportunity to learn from the experiences of others, of course, we should use our wisdom as well.
Jasy95
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasy95.html
Latest Review: The Data Collectors by Danielle Palli

Post by Jasy95 »

I personally think that I wouldn't take any of these self-help books seriously unless the author had extensive experience studying psychology and sociology. There are just so many people selling these kinds of books, and it's hard to know who is just looking for a profit and who genuinely really wants to help. Even if they genuinely want to help, I want some kind of evidence that you have reasons to consider yourself wiser than I am in my own life, before I'd be willing to take your advice.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

Any person who has overcome any major life crisis, or has achieved an exceptional feat in any area of their life- health, wealth, or relationships- is most eligible to give others such advice. There cannot be any degree or educational qualification for giving advice, the only qualification is that the advice should be legitimate and working.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

I don't think an individual's entire life has to be in such a perfect order before they are qualified to come up with such a book. Having surmounted a particular "hurdle" naturally affords one the authority to show others how to do same.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”