Who is the target audience?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Who is the target audience?

Post by a9436 »

Who do you think this book is aimed at? Perhaps people with a desire to change, or people who need motivation to change? Is there a pattern as to who will benefit from the advice, or is it completely individual?

The author states that the book is, "not for everyone - but it is for you!" Yet, earlier pages tell me that as an, "overthinker," the advice is not likely to help me. Personally I find this contradictory, which in my opinion makes the author a little less credible. Perhaps the author is assuming that, "overthinkers," will have already put down the book, or perhaps it means that the book will help me, even if I do not believe it.

What do you think?
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

There is a great market out there for books that claim to make you happy, more succesful, and more time efficient. Everyone wants an easy way to make their life better. I think the author is hoping to sell this book to as many people as he can.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Post by sszb »

I think the target audience is the people who are willing to change themselves but have no idea what to do. Sometimes reading a self-help book can be very effective especially when a person feels like stuck in problems or depression.
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
MKRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkrichards.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by MKRichards »

I do feel like the general tone targets a younger audience. Maybe teens transitioning to adulthood?
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that this book is targeted towards people who have read the self-help books in the past and haven't seen any concrete results. I also think that the author's sense of humor draws in people who want a self-help book that isn't in the conventional format.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Though I believe that people that need motivation will feel a firmer/harder impact by this I also feel that people with the desire to change will be able to gain knowledge that needs to guide them to their own personal definitions of success.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It does sound contradictory, but I can see your point and the author's. I guess it depends on what type of person of you are and if you are open to letting this book help you.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I think that the audience that this is directed to is absolutely anyone that needs any sort of guidance. It is so useful to anyone down in the dumps.
serendipity 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serendipity-27.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by serendipity 27 »

I really think the author is just wanting to get the book out to everyone and it's just a ploy that it's not for over thinkers. I think the author wants you to overthink and get frustrated so you'll feel like you need advice.
Give me the courage to get through this week...or at least a big bar of chocolate :D
laurenolgine
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your Buts
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenolgine.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by laurenolgine »

The target audience is my husband!! As I read the intro of the book all I could think was "Wow! My husband needs to hear this." Taking responsibility for your own success and not blaming outside events is something a lot of people need to hear, my husband especially. I'm only half way through the book right now and at this point I don't think I am going to recommend it to him any longer. I think he would get bored with the personal stories. If the book were to be straight forward and direct, like the author discussed in the intro, then I would recommend it.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I think the target audience is anyone who is drawn towards the books message. Those dissatisfied with their current course in life and want a positive change.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Sometimes in life we all need a bit of advice. Though, the author states that this book is not for overthinkers, I think it targets all those who need a bit of motivation, and think about making their lives better.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

sszb wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 06:57 I think the target audience is the people who are willing to change themselves but have no idea what to do. Sometimes reading a self-help book can be very effective especially when a person feels like stuck in problems or depression.
I agree. This book could work for anyone from young adult to seniors but they have to be people capable of change. I think the author is implying that people who are set in their ways would probably be offended because they wouldn't see their problems as being reversible by their own actions.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson

Post by lesler »

The target audience is whomever is first intrigued by this book. The title is meant to grab at you, and read further if so interested. There is no target audience, but it's meant to be a tool for anyone who accepts the challenge to read this.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

To me, the target audience is anyone who wants to improve their life. Someone looking to attain success professionally and/or personally.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”