Is this the kick in the butt we need?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Is this the kick in the butt we need?

Post by Choine »

There are so many self-help books out there and all of them have a different approach. This book fascinated me as the author took the initiative to turn to the tables on the reader. The reader is told that it is their responsibility to change their future and alter their own habits instead of the usual "you are beautiful" or "you are perfect the way you are". Both positions can have good and bad affects on the reader. Which approach do you prefer? Did the author get it right?
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I read this book and submitted a review on it. Yes, I agree with your assessment. The author did get it right! I
do think it is great to support people and help them realize that they are indeed beautiful individuals. But we also need to accept accountability for not stepping up to the plate and making the effort to improve our lot in life- if we do indeed want more from life. Loved his title!
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I agree. This book takes the approach that we are at times our own worse enemy; that we need to get out of our own way. Some people benefit more from the "you are beautiful" approach, but more people need a wake-up call rather than flattery.
We all need to be reminded to get out of our own way.

I had recommended this book to a friend of mine for that very reason.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I particularly enjoy the no-nonsense approach by the author. There are so many books which refer to so-called cosmic laws and to universal laws which one is supposed to be able to use. I do not believe any of this and I appreciate the practical advice set out in this book, without resorting to some sort of New Age mysticism. If this sounds like a harsh attitude then I may agree, however, I believe that it is necessary.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

There are so many self-help books out there, and everyone spends a lot of effort trying to be PC and not offend anyone. I am of the opinion that it’s better to hear a harsh truth than a kind lie. It is the only way towards true self-improvement. That’s not to say it’s necessary to be mean; rather firm and consistent. In this respect, I do think the author has got it right.
luchi123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luchi123.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by luchi123 »

I believe many people need to be told the harsh truth that they are mostly responsible for the quality of their lives.The author drove home this point in the book.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Yes, I believe that it is. The author puts the responsibility and accountability for improving your lot in life solely on the shoulders of the reader. I appreciated his honesty and that he did not coddle the reader.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Yes, this book serves the purpose. This is that friend of yours who says the dress looks bad on you when you ask for an opinion. You might get offended or you might select another dress which suits you. As the author says the choice is ours. Always.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

I had been in a rut when I read this book. It was the kick in the butt that I needed. Nothing new, but a timely reminder of bad habits I was letting slip in.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
fem fad
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by fem fad »

You are solely responsible for yourself. That just the simple truth and the truth need to be exposed. The author really did great.
Danerys Muniz Prior
Currently Reading: The Desolations of Devil's Acre (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #6)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danerys-muniz-prior.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Danerys Muniz Prior »

You are always repsonsible for changing your self, allowing other people to change you, or letting others affect the way you perviece your self gives them the power. This can only cause you harm. I have sampled this book and it was the literall kick in my butt that I needed to realise that I was letting to many people's opinions colide with the way I lived my life.
airielnolan2362
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by airielnolan2362 »

I like how the author says things without "sugar-coating" them. Too many people these days don't tell it like it is and this book goes against the "blame game". This book puts the blame and control all on the reader to remind them that they need to stop blaming life and take control of it.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

The author is one hundred percent correct. The "You are beautiful and perfect just the way you are" advice is cliché and generic, and the most it can give you is solace- a temporary relief. But the author is trying to get to the solution- if you have a problem in your life, solve it. Don't dingle-dangle around it and make up a hundred excuses.
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

Yes, this book offers a great kick in the butt to those who are using excuses to avoid action. By taking full self-responsibility, one can move forward rather than remaining stuck.
Maris Charles M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maris-charles-m.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Maris Charles M »

The author very much got it right. Sometimes we prefer to be pampered with lie than to be hit hard by the truth of our situation. We can only permit anything that happens in our life. The author was right about everything.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”