Mythology/Legend Tales Discussion

For November 2018 Genre Discussion, we will be reading mythologies/legends tales.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Mythology/Legend Tales Discussion

Post by Heidi M Simone »

This month genre of choice is Mythology and Legends! For this month, let's find books that are either based on mythologies/legends or perhaps books/stories that are considered purely a myth and/or legend.

Merriam Webster defines these two terms as:
  • Mythology: "an allegorical narrative" and "myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and legendary heroes of a particular people"
    - Examples: Greek Mythology, Roman Mythology
  • Legend: "a story coming down from the past, especially one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable"
    - Examples: Arthurian legends, Paul Bunyan, the Loch Ness Monster
Though there are plenty of times when myths and legends overlap. If you have more to add about myths and/or legends, please feel free to do so!

To begin our discussion this month, let's consider the following questions:
  • What are you planning to read or have read for this month?
  • Describe why is this book considered to be mythological/legendary-based.
  • Is it a book/story that is an actual myth or legend or an adaptation of a myth or legend?
  • What did you think of the book? Would you recommend it?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I guess my favorite legend is ironically the same story I mentioned last month, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion because I'm interested in reading more myths. I also enjoyed the movie a while back about Fern Gully! trying to save the rainforests; I'm not sure if the story was a book or not.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BookReader+6 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:07 I guess my favorite legend is ironically the same story I mentioned last month, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion because I'm interested in reading more myths. I also enjoyed the movie a while back about Fern Gully! trying to save the rainforests; I'm not sure if the story was a book or not.
Ooo...yes, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. That would be a good one to read!

I remember Fern Gully as an animated film. There is a book, but I'm not sure which came first. :eusa-think: Also, I don't remember if it's a legend or myth, but it was something that I enjoyed growing up. :)
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

hsimone wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 09:39
BookReader+6 wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 18:07 I guess my favorite legend is ironically the same story I mentioned last month, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I'll be keeping an eye on this discussion because I'm interested in reading more myths. I also enjoyed the movie a while back about Fern Gully! trying to save the rainforests; I'm not sure if the story was a book or not.

I remember Fern Gully as an animated film. There is a book, but I'm not sure which came first. :eusa-think: Also, I don't remember if it's a legend or myth, but it was something that I enjoyed growing up. :)
For some reason, and I'm not sure, but I think it was 'The Legend of Fern Gully'. I was thinking of the animated film too.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BookReader+6 wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 10:03
hsimone wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 09:39

For some reason, and I'm not sure, but I think it was 'The Legend of Fern Gully'. I was thinking of the animated film too.
Ah, maybe! :)
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I've decided to read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I haven't actually read one of his books yet, and I don't know much about Norse Mythology. What better way to do both than this month's genre discussion? :)
Heidi

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

hsimone wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:01 I've decided to read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I haven't actually read one of his books yet, and I don't know much about Norse Mythology. What better way to do both than this month's genre discussion? :)
Oh yay! Let me know what you think :)
There were so many cool things that I learnt about Thor and Loki.
Especially with all the Marvel movies out now - it's fun stuff to know!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 10:42
hsimone wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 16:01 I've decided to read Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. I haven't actually read one of his books yet, and I don't know much about Norse Mythology. What better way to do both than this month's genre discussion? :)
Oh yay! Let me know what you think :)
There were so many cool things that I learnt about Thor and Loki.
Especially with all the Marvel movies out now - it's fun stuff to know!
I actually haven't gotten to it, if you can believe that. :doh: I do still have the library book, so maybe I can read it soon!

Really? I did not put the two together. I'll be on the lookout for those things, though!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

I recently read The Secret Key of Pythagorum by Michele Angello, and it speaks to the legend of a certain king...not sure if it would be a spoiler to mention his name, so I'll refrain for now. The book is categorized as historical fantasy, so definitely an adaptation of the legend.

It follows a young boy named Savaric as he journeys to find his true destiny. I actually really liked this book and think many who like historical fantasies would enjoy it, too!
Heidi

Return to “November 2018 Genre Discussion”