Mythology/Legend Tales Recommendation/Help

For November 2018 Genre Discussion, we will be reading mythologies/legends tales.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Mythology/Legend Tales Recommendation/Help

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Merriam Webster defines these two terms as:
  • Mythology: "an allegorical narrative" and "myths dealing with the gods, demigods, and legendary heroes of a particular people"
    - Examples: Greek Mythology, Roman Mythology
  • Legend: "a story coming down from the past, especially one popularly regarded as historical although not verifiable"
    - Examples: Arthurian legends, Paul Bunyan, the Loch Ness Monster
I'm not very versed in myths/legends, so these are the ones that came to my mind:
  • The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan
  • The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott
  • The Odyssey by Homer
  • Circe by Madeline Miller
  • The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
Here are some Goodreads links that might be helpful:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/432 ... _Mythology
https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/myths-and-legends

Do you have any suggestions/recommendations of what book(s) others should try for this month's genre discussion?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I've just read Circe and I must say - I thoroughly enjoyed it. For one of the lesser-known Greek gods, this book really has a lot of information about her. I would absolutely recommend!

One other recommendation:
Neil Gaiman's book Norse Mythology was amazing. I actually listened to the audiobook and it was narrated by him. It's a bunch of short stories about the Norse gods and their escapades. I loved it.
Neil Gaiman has actually written a bunch of books on various mythological gods. He's awesome.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Bianka Walter wrote: 05 Nov 2018, 01:10 I've just read Circe and I must say - I thoroughly enjoyed it. For one of the lesser-known Greek gods, this book really has a lot of information about her. I would absolutely recommend!

One other recommendation:
Neil Gaiman's book Norse Mythology was amazing. I actually listened to the audiobook and it was narrated by him. It's a bunch of short stories about the Norse gods and their escapades. I loved it.
Neil Gaiman has actually written a bunch of books on various mythological gods. He's awesome.
Oh, cool! I'm glad you enjoyed Circe. I've been meaning to read it.

Ooo...I'll add Norse Mythology to the list! Thank you for the recommendations!
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I love mythological retellings (even the modern ones) so I've read more than my fair share.

The Goddess Summoning series - PC Cast (romance)
Nobody's Princess - Esther Friesner (YA)
Oh. My. Gods. - Tera Lynn Childs (YA)
Blooming Goddess trilogy - Tellulah Darling
Gods Behaving Badly - Marie Phillips (magical realism?)
American Gods - Neil Gaiman (urban fantasy)

There are a LOT of romance novels based on mythological retellings, too. Hades/Persephone is probably the most popular but there are a lot of others.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

In terms of non-fiction, I think everyone interested in story structure in general should read Joseph Campbell. He's a classic in terms of academic discussion on the way myths are and how stories are structured.

The Power of Myth and Hero with a Thousand Faces are probably the most read/referenced works.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

I suppose the main point to discern in this thread is if you're looking for fiction or non-fiction mythology and legend related books. I wouldn't necessarily recommend Gaiman's Norse Mythology to somebody who loved American Gods, because one is an expansion on ancient legend and the other is a novel that uses mythology as a premise for the story. In other words, one is cultural and historical while the other is an inspired work of fiction. Personally, I love both, but that's probably because I spent so much time in my Primary School's library reading about Native American legends, Greek Mythology and Bigfoot. Anybody interested in stories such as those coming out of Gaiman's Norse Mythology should look for other collections of ancient tribal and cultural mythology/folklore- The Iliad and the Odyssey (Homer's epic poems) are wonderful examples of original myths that were recorded BC.

For anyone interested in the fictional adaptations of mythology and legend.. take your pick, there are loads! There are a plethora of choices across a myriad of genres (YA, romance, action, crime, etc.) that use these things as their inspiration! You pretty much can choose any culture's myths/legends, pick your genre, and then have a list of books to choose from. Since I've been mentioning Neil Gaiman so much, his novel's Anansi Boys and The Ocean At The End Of The Lane create beautiful stories that are braided with myth and legend.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm actually not very versed in this genre, so it's good to know other booklovers that are!
Heidi

Jerlyn Alperto
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jerlyn Alperto »

Thanks for the suggestions I'm gonna start reding now.

Return to “November 2018 Genre Discussion”