Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the December 2018 Book of the Month, The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel by RJ Torbert. What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
Sanashiii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanashiii.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sanashiii »

The book cover was interesting, it left me a good impression. Is this recommended for a new reader like me? :techie-studyinggray:
Sanashiii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanashiii.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Sanashiii »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.

I've been looking for recommendations and I just found yours. I'll take note what you've said. Thanks
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
alihaider1336
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alihaider1336 »

I liked the book because it tells you about how to cope with your fear. It can really be helpful about those people who fight with their fear and can't cope with it.I recommend it to those people who want to fight with their fear in life.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

My overall opinion of the book is that it's not for me. I don't like horror, murder mysteries, kidnapping, or police procedures. I did like the set up of the story, the flow/writing style and how the author used actual places in the story. I am from Connecticut and Bridgeport, Connecticut is a real place. It is a place that I don't usually go to because a lot of bad stuff/crime happens there. I would recommend this book if someone ask me to refer them to a book in this genre.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I've started to read it, but can't get interested in it. I'm not sure if I will finish it it not.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

The thing that I liked most about this book is that it was suspenseful with many twists and turns. I like a good mystery. Probably what I liked least was all the information about Port Jefferson. I don’t know how necessary all of it was. I would recommend this book to people who are fans of the genre.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I haven't read this book yet, but I can't wait to start. The cover is amazing, and as a fan of the horror genre, this book belongs to my bookshelf. Since it's BOTM I assume it's also very well written.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
RaeReads
Favorite Book: A Game of Thrones
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 32

Post by RaeReads »

Having only read the first few pages I can't in fairness rate it. I can say that my initial reaction to the main character had me feeling that the book is definitely not for me, but after thinking about it I decided to read on a little farther to see if my opinion of her would change or if she would become a character I love to hate. I am a fan of horror and mysteries so I may give it another go.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. " - George R.R. Martin
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I don't personally much like the detective stories. The book is probably written taking the theme that how these fun created Halloween masks may involve in serious crimes. I think people who like to celebrate the Halloween day will like it more.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Analeigh
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-analeigh.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Analeigh »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
This is really good information. I was going to read this book next but I don’t have room in my busy life for extra information about Port Jefferson! 😂
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

If not for the numerous grammatical errors and irrelevant details, I would say I loved this book
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”