Is something special about the author's choosing of the setting of story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Is something special about the author's choosing of the setting of story?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

The author has chosen the village of Port Jefferson, Long Island as the setting for his story. Considering the plot, do you think that there is a particular reason for the author to do so or is it merely due to his knowledge about the area?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 20:28 The author has chosen the village of Port Jefferson, Long Island as the setting for his story. Considering the plot, do you think that there is a particular reason for the author to do so or is it merely due to his knowledge about the area?
Well, the author lives close to Port Jefferson, so I would assume that's why.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

I think the author chose the island of Port Jefferson for the setting to impart to the readers the various problems in the area that hasn't been properly addressed up to now. I have never been to the island, but probably the whole plot is based on the problems of the local police in Port Jefferson. He was probably incensed at the crimes committed.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I google'd this and learnt that the author lives close to that region so it was only convenient he choose it as the book's stage.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I had read another reviewer's opinion on this, and according to her such crimes are common in that place, maybe that's why the author has chosen this place.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

tranquilwaters86+2 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 03:07 I think the author chose the island of Port Jefferson for the setting to impart to the readers the various problems in the area that hasn't been properly addressed up to now. I have never been to the island, but probably the whole plot is based on the problems of the local police in Port Jefferson. He was probably incensed at the crimes committed.
I grew up not far from there, but don't live there anymore. I didn't know there were problems with the police in Port Jeff as it used to be an upscale area.

FYI, it is not an island, but a town on Long Island Sound.

:occasion-xmas:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 07:34 I had read another reviewer's opinion on this, and according to her such crimes are common in that place, maybe that's why the author has chosen this place.
Wow! I haven't read the whole book. Are you talking about crimes like kidnapping and murder?
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The author wanted to make it easier for the kidnappers to kidnap Deborah on the ferry and drive away swiftly and Port Jefferson was not a bad idea.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I think the author wanted to make the story more realistic. Since Port Jefferson is infamous for crime, the author may have chosen this setting.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Author chooses the Port Jefferson for the setting of this story because he lives close to this village and also he has a lot of information about Port Jefferson so he uses it for the story.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It does seem like Port Jefferson was chosen because the author felt most familiar with the place, living near it.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 07:54
Ayat paarsa wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 07:34 I had read another reviewer's opinion on this, and according to her such crimes are common in that place, maybe that's why the author has chosen this place.
Wow! I haven't read the whole book. Are you talking about crimes like kidnapping and murder?
Yes, I am talking about crimes like kidnapping and murder.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
FictionLover
Currently Reading:

Post by FictionLover »

Ayat paarsa wrote: 03 Dec 2018, 04:00
FictionLover wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 07:54
Yes, I am talking about crimes like kidnapping and murder.

So, I just had to look this up. I grew up on Long Island, about 30 minutes from Port Jefferson, and never heard any such thing about it being so dangerous.

According to a few websites, that is not true. One says Port Jefferson is safer than 55% of US cities. I went to 5 sites and they all list Vandalism, Assault and Theft as the most frequent crimes this year. No kidnapping or murder at all.

So, I guess that fiction is fiction.

:occasion-snowman: :occasion-snowman:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think the author chose this particular setting because he had a lot of knowledge about the place as he lives near it.
tranquilwaters86+2
Currently Reading: Real Principals Have No Class
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tranquilwaters86-2.html
Latest Review: Together by Claire Youmans

Post by tranquilwaters86+2 »

I apologize for offending the people of Port Jefferson and those who live nearby for implying that the place is riddled with crimes. I just had a feeling while reading the book that the reason for the author noticing tiny details such as, the lack of a security camera on the ferry was because it was an unaddressed problem. I guess I shouldn't have used the word crime, it's a bit strong. I realize just now.

Could the author have been incensed by the judicial killings happening every day in so many countries? Or that the perpetrators of such crime go freely around unaccountable? I wonder. :eusa-think:

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”