Paul and Rachelle: yay or nay?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Paul and Rachelle: yay or nay?

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I always want a little bit of romance in any book I read, so it's a "Yay" for me.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 16:13 By the end of the book, I was so over them. The 'will they, won't they' got very boring. In the end, I was actually indifferent about their relationship.
Same here. :roll: By the end, I wouldn't have cared less if they went their separate ways. Their relationship was exhausting.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It's a "nay" from me. It was as though the author did not want them to be together. Their back and forth, one step forward three steps back type of relationship was irritating, to say the least. I usually enjoy a touch of romance in crime and mystery novels, but R.J. Torbert did not do a good job with the two of them. I found Bud's relationship with Deborah more interesting.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

A touch of romance always adds some flavor to any story, so yay for me. Only that it shouldn't have been so hairsplittingly crazy for them to try and get together only to be flung so far apart all over again by succeeding events.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I found their relationship to be annoying and highly unrealistic. Paul loved Rachelle, but she repeatedly rejected his advances many times throughout the book. She also acted rude towards Paul once she started to like him. I don't think a sensible man would keep pursuing a sour puss like Rachelle in real life, unless he had mental problems. Plus, he was described as a good looking man with a six pack and a good job. I imagine that if a man like that existed in real life, he would have easily moved on with someone else (considering all the opportunities he may have gotten from other women).
:character-ariel:
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am lover of Romance and though I haven't finished this particular read, I would go with yay.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Mariette15
Favorite Author: Patrick Ness
Currently Reading: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Bookshelf Size: 37
fav_author_id: 3220

Post by Mariette15 »

They were a bit bland by the end, although I had been rooting for them. So I guess it ain't yay or nay, but more like meh.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Paul and Rachelle really took the Ross and Rachel headspin for a ride. Initially, I was all gung ho for them to fiinnnaallyyy get together, and their constant indecision did sorta notch the excitement level up a bit. Yes, the insertion the romantic drama added some spice to the novel but it was so common and drawn out I grew a bit bored.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I didn't like the love affair between Paul and Rachelle. I thought it was one-sided with Paul being in love with Rachelle, but she didn't really reciprocate.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Their romance seemed promising at first, but soon fizzled out. It was kind of disappointing by the end, though.
Angelina_Bazar
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelina-bazar.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Angelina_Bazar »

I think it’s a yay. The author did a great job of getting me attached to the “couple” from the beginning. I think that their constant back and forth added some mystery to the story.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

leanne_brown17 wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 07:59 Do you feel that the relationship between Paul and Rachelle added tension and excitement to the story, or did their interactions fall flat?
It's a yay for me. Though I think the author made their escapade too much. Their romance wasn't too explicit. So, yay.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I thought they added a nice touch to the story at first but by the end I was over them. Their repetitive scenarios became too much for my taste.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

Most readers (or maybe just me) would prefer a little romance in about every novel we read. So yes, it's yay for me
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 16:13 By the end of the book, I was so over them. The 'will they, won't they' got very boring. In the end, I was actually indifferent about their relationship.
AGREED.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”