2016 Reading Challenge

Looking for some exciting reading challenges? Look no further. Here will have all kind of fun challenges.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: 2016 Reading Challenge

Post by ALynnPowers »

Scott wrote:Hey, everyone, I want to make sure the reading goal tracking features with Bookshelves here at OnlineBookClub.org are better than at Goodreads. I have the advantage that the moderators and I can listen to each of you one on one and take your feedback and suggestions to learn exactly what you would like to get out of it. I'm not sure if people would like to get harassing email reminders to add books to their to-read shelf if they haven't been adding them in a timely manner... ?

I'm trying to brainstorm more ideas. Please throw out as many suggestions or requests as you can! :D
Honestly, I love Goodreads for this exact Book Goal tracking feature thingymadoodle (yes, that's the official title), and I guess this is what makes it so good for me:
1. There is a smart phone app that's super easy to use and I can update it anywhere.
2. It's like a one click thing. I just open the app and my list of books currently reading are right there. I click a button that says "I'm finished" and then I click on the rating I want to give it and it's automatically updated on my goal list.
3. It keeps track of the days I read it.
4. I can add comments/reviews about the book when I give it a rating (optional).
5. I can see at any point how many books I have read and what percentage this takes me through the goal (plus there is a progress bar for the those who enjoy visuals of such nature).

All right, that's all I've got for now.
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

I think my reading goals in 2016 is 52 BOOKS with a written review.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
katelacecarter
Currently Reading: According to the script
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katelacecarter.html

Post by katelacecarter »

I love this idea as well!
I'm really not sure what to set mine to, as I've never kept track before and come August I'll be back in University classes and likely have much less time.
Three a month would certainly be doable, but seems a little lax.

Suggestions? I read pretty quickly.
littleboo50
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littleboo50.html
Reading Device: B009A9SV6M
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by littleboo50 »

What an awesome idea! I will definitely have to figure out how many books I read this past year first as well!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Family Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 2289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

katelacecarter wrote:I love this idea as well!
I'm really not sure what to set mine to, as I've never kept track before and come August I'll be back in University classes and likely have much less time.
Three a month would certainly be doable, but seems a little lax.

Suggestions? I read pretty quickly.
Try for 50 books. You can always lower it if you fall too far behind. :wink:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Or up it if you spring ahead! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Family Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 2289
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

rssllue wrote:Or up it if you spring ahead! :D
:text-yeahthat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

:mrgreen:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: An American in Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Scott wrote:Hey, everyone, I want to make sure the reading goal tracking features with Bookshelves here at OnlineBookClub.org are better than at Goodreads. I have the advantage that the moderators and I can listen to each of you one on one and take your feedback and suggestions to learn exactly what you would like to get out of it. I'm not sure if people would like to get harassing email reminders to add books to their to-read shelf if they haven't been adding them in a timely manner... ?

I'm trying to brainstorm more ideas. Please throw out as many suggestions or requests as you can! :D
I look forward to seeing how the goal tracking features will work here. On Goodreads, a few of the review books I've read aren't even on there even if the book is already published and being sold on Amazon. As a result, my GR totals are always a little lower than what I actually read, if that makes any sense.

Add that to the fact that I don't diligently add books when I start and finish them. I tend to add a few at a time to get caught up. Goodreads has this feature that shows today's date as the date you added the book. Since I don't add a book until I've already read it, my book info always look weird. For example, I might add a book today and update that I started it 6 days ago and finished it today. However, the "date added" throws the whole thing off since I didn't add the book when I started it. I actually had an author once post a Goodreads comment that he found it suspicious that I finished a book 15 minutes after adding it. Since it was an OBC review book, I was particularly embarrassed. I had to reply and explain the way Goodreads' add/start/finish columns can look confusing when people first add the books after they've finished it.

Whew....long story! The reason I mentioned this is to show how Goodreads' features don't work well unless someone is diligent about adding a book right at the point they start it.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Good luck to everyone next year :)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
madisonhj_9
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madisonhj-9.html

Post by madisonhj_9 »

This is great! It's hard as a college student to find time to read for fun but I am going to try and set a goal for myself in hopes that it will force me to find time!
CTurtle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cturtle.html

Post by CTurtle »

I think that I would really like to start keeping track of the new authors that I have found and try to continue to follow them. I mean, there are certainly authors that I have been following for years. However, as of recently, and certainly with the use of reading books online, I have more of a tendency to read someone once, perhaps like the book, but never seek to explore other books by that author. Something about digital books makes the authors more forgettable. Am I alone in that?

-- 31 Dec 2015, 13:04 --

I would also like to become more adept at using this site to my advantage (in addition, to my previously posted goal)!
JadePhenix
Favorite Author: Poe
Currently Reading: the wife, the maid, and the mistress
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadephenix.html

Post by JadePhenix »

I've never challenged myself to read x-amount of books before. However, 2016 sounds like as good of a year as any to start! I want to shoot for the stars and say 100, but I'll be realistic and say 50.
KNewton
Favorite Author: Not possible to list
Favorite Book: Not possible to list
Currently Reading: A Bone To Pick (Aurora Teagarden, #2)
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-knewton.html

Post by KNewton »

My reading goal is set pretty low this year, at 26 books. A friend of mine wanted to do a specific challenge together and she's just getting back into reading. However, I am going to try and read more. Also, my goal is read more challenging books than I normally would. For example, my book goal this year is to read Moby Dick all the way through.
[*]How Fear of the Unknown Hinders the Development of Informed Decisions by Dr. Seuss[*][/color]
doyle5
Currently Reading: Steelheart
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doyle5.html

Post by doyle5 »

I'm going to school full time and working a full time job...so my reading goal this year is really low. Only 24. But I figure two books a month is decent.

Return to “Reading Challenges”