What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by BeautySuzy »

So inspirational, and I felt like every cancer survivor would feel the same just like they had victory in this war.
Think outside of the books.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

stacie k wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 09:30 I appreciate that the title imparts a sense of hope to the reader. We all need hope, whether the diagnosis comes to us personally or to someone we care about. The title makes me want to hear what the author has to say.
Glad that the title reaches out to you in that way! thanks for your insight! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I can see your perspective on this. The word "winning" may be misleading to a point. However, alternative treatments, though not assured to cure all cancer may have a chance or possibility of helping people suffering from cancer, even to the point of achieving recovery for some I suppose. Maybe this is where cancer can be won.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think the author wants to give hope that not all is lost and still we can beat cancer. Also, that title is catchy and interesting.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I agree the title is catchy and interesting. And yet, I wouldn't completely opt to title a book as Winning against Cancer especially since it is sensitive issue for many people.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I think the title is a cliche, as the phrase is now so overused (also see e.g. winning the war on drugs / terrorism etc.).
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

abbiejoice wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 20:27 I can see your perspective on this. The word "winning" may be misleading to a point. However, alternative treatments, though not assured to cure all cancer may have a chance or possibility of helping people suffering from cancer, even to the point of achieving recovery for some I suppose. Maybe this is where cancer can be won.
Ah! I see your point! Maybe "winning" doesn't altogether mean banishing or destroying the disease, but in the size of this problem, even small steps are considered a victory already. Thanks for sharing this insight! :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 02:33 I think the title is a cliche, as the phrase is now so overused (also see e.g. winning the war on drugs / terrorism etc.).
It's my first time seeing this title regarding this topic, so I was surprised. But seeing that is indeed common, I guess it wasn't such a big deal after all. thank you for sharing this insight! :tiphat:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

DorcasToo wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 00:02 I think the author wants to give hope that not all is lost and still we can beat cancer. Also, that title is catchy and interesting.
I see your point. And yes indeed it is interesting. I mean people can see it as a beacon of hope, but after reading the book, you can also see that most of it are just theories yet to be proven. I thought it was a bit misleading, but i agree that it sounds hopeful enough. Thanks! :tiphat:
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Post by Raja28 »

I feel that the war against Cancer is fought, typically, on two fronts - firstly, medically, with the disease itself, and secondly, against the powers with vested interests that do not want the disease to be cured. The title of this book, along with the brief, looks to me quite apt since the book seems to be describing the means to win this war.
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Joy Jennings

Post by zarah_ »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.
I never read it this way, and I'm sorry for your loss. I think the author was just trying to be optimistic - as we all are when it comes to loved ones who have to deal with this horrendous illness.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I think the book title speaks for its self. By merely reading the title, what comes to my mind is a detailed uncommon descriptive appraoch on treating several forms of cancer,. The book title is really captivating!!!
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mailis »

Yes. I think the title gives out this a little too overconfident vibe. When you have lost someone to cancer, it kind of says that they were the ones that didn't "win".
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

Julie Green wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 02:33 I think the title is a cliche, as the phrase is now so overused (also see e.g. winning the war on drugs / terrorism etc.).
I was definitely thinking the same thing!
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

I think the title would make you feel like there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Cancer is a very serious disease, and it is every cancer patient's dream to be told its in remission. That right there is an out-right win against cancer.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”