Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Swat3737 »

To the original poster, I am sorry to hear about your mother and hope the current treatments help. My opinion is in all medicine and research, doctors have to be so careful with the expectations you give a patient if advising using a new, unproven treatment. And I think with cancer,it’s not just the patients but their families are involved as well. And there are so many emotions involved that I think it would be hard to do ethically
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

I have observed that alternative herbal treatments boost the effectiveness of the traditional ones. So they can probably go together.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I think much more study and empirical research is needed on this, but as for my experience, as a cancer survivor, I have met a good number of people in each of these circumstances. I know people who did all of the traditional treatments and died, as well as those who are still living cancer-free 20 years later. I also know several women who had breast cancer and opted for lumpectomy or mastectomy but no chemo or radiation. They used non-traditional treatments. One is a 35 year survivor and another is a 22 year survivor. As for me, I did all traditional methods including chemo. It altered my life forever in devastating ways. Would never choose that again. Generally, I believe the slash burn and poison methods often make people wish they'd chosen differently. Quality vs quantity of life.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I suppose doctors and pharmaceuticals companies have to consider that alternative treatments could interfere with the conventional methods they're giving the patient. Then it would seem perhaps that the patient suffered or died because the treatment they suggested didn't work.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Amanda Deck wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:06 I suppose doctors and pharmaceuticals companies have to consider that alternative treatments could interfere with the conventional methods they're giving the patient. Then it would seem perhaps that the patient suffered or died because the treatment they suggested didn't work.
What is fairly agreed upon by most is that traditional treatments are much more likely to interfere with non-traditional treatments' success than vice versa. Generally, non-traditional treatments have very few side effects and few drug interactions. Not that it couldn't happen. It would just be very rare. :tiphat:
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
msbeautfl09
Currently Reading: Music Man

Post by msbeautfl09 »

I am very sorry to hear about any diagnosis of cancer. It's an awful word. My family has seen many members now gone from it. Modern medicine has many good things about it, but at times, it can't do the job, so I'm all for finding alternate cures, or bandaids, at least, to help ease the pain of the disease.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Well, like even certain foods interfere with prescription medications, there must be some interaction. I don't remember what she specifically said about it in the book, but she brought it up. I'd assume if it can help, it could also hurt so just taking it into consideration is necessary.
nomnombooks
Currently Reading: Die Uhr, die nicht tickt
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nomnombooks.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by nomnombooks »

I think alternative medicine on cancer can be used additionally but should never be used instead of traditional medicine. If it helps people to feel better about their therapy then it might have a positive effect on the traditional treatment in general.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

I'm from a Caribbean island that is unapologetically superstitious as a whole. We believe in the use of natural remedies, and quite commonly scorn going to the doctor for most ailments, especially in the rural areas. Almost any sickness is first treated with a brew of some sort steeped in the bush or leaf of some plant. Frequently as a child, whenever I came down with something, I was given 'busy' tea or cerasee, sometimes the leaf or a citrus plant or some other concoction.

When I'm on my cycle, I cramp very hard and absolutely detest taking most pills as I know the science behind them and am uncomfortable with the continued use. Instead, I drink ginger tea or steep pimento and nutmeg in hot water, or drink garlic tea.

At a family dinner this past December, I found out my aunt was battling breast cancer, and preferred using natural remedies, though she still underwent several treatments. She claims that after switching to organic produce, cutting out sugar and salt, and increasing her intake of hot beverages greatly improved her overall feeling of well-being.

I think alternate medicine should never be ruled out. It doesn't possess the drawbacks of conventional medicine, so there's that.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter »

I do not believe that conventional medicine should be replaced with natural remedies without scientific backing and a healthy amount of skepticism. However, it can be used to supplement conventional practices. Most of the trials described in the book seemed to be in conjunction with, not instead of, chemotherapy.
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Firstly, I am sorry about your mum. Alternative natural remedies are not bad as far as I am concerned. I've used natural remedies for hypertension and stomach acids and they seem to work wonders for me. In fact far much better than the meds I got from the hospital. I hope and pray there are such effective natural remedies for cancer therapy.
Kufredavid20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kufredavid20 »

Firstly, I am deeply sorry for your mom and the atmosphere in your house. I must say that traditional medicine has failed mankind to some extent, nevertheless, it is still useful. In the case of cancer, no matter what kind of traditional treatment is administered to the patient, it doesn't prove anything fruitful; therefore, alternative medicine is preferable. I can testify of alternative medicine in my own case when I had Staph, I had treated it with all types of traditional medicine without result, but the first time I tried alternative medication, I was completely free of the staph. Therefore, I stand with alternative medication because I can go on and on to mention the efficacy of alternative medication.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I have no problem with alternative forms of treatment if they can help in the process of curing cancer. I had a relative who had cancer and it got cured by the chemotherapy treatment, but she later died because of the side effects that left her immune system weak and prone to all kinds of diseases. If there's an alternative treatment, am all for it.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

I have heard about such alternative methods to treating cancer.

My mom was diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer about two years ago. She had an amazing team of surgeons that worked with her to get her in for her double mastectomy within a month. Because of the aggressive form of cancer, she had to undergo her procedure right away.

I think these alternative methods are great to try if you have the time to try them. My grandfather tried them and they failed and he died because he refused surgery. My mom didn't have time to try them, did the surgery, and is now almost two years into her recovery period. Her last procedure was two months ago.

For the big issues like cancer, I think traditional methods are the way to go. I am using other methods (along with my doctor's help!) to treat some of my personal issues and work to prevent larger scale ailments than what I currently have. I am of the firm belief in blending both methods for the best outcomes.

Did you know that the northern states are more likely to have diseases such as cancer, autoimmune, and MS because the leading cause of those is lack of vitamin D? Vitamin D is one of those vitamins that helps our body process nutrients we need in order to prevent and build immunity towards certain ailments. I didn't know this until my doctor talked to me about how my thyroid combined with my low levels of vitamin D put me at much larger risk for cancer later in life. Just something to think about.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Fuzaila wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 13:18 I agree with kandscreeley. Companies lie to us about the effectiveness of natural medicines when in fact, there have been so many proven cases where illnesses were cured naturally. I would say, natural medicines would be effective. After all, our ancestors had no problem treating themselves with the herbs they found around them 🤷‍♀️
I totally agree with this. Our ancestors also used to use herbs and live very long. The issue now is that doctors are less concerned with saving lives, more concerned about the zeros in their bank accounts.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”