Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Post by Fu Zaila »

I'm glad you've an open minded approach to the possibilities of natural alternatives to cancer treatment. It still strikes me odd how these sceptics tend to dismiss natural medicines for extremities like chemotherapy, even when their effectiveness has been proven. Hopefully, the author's research and knowledge on the topic would lead them to think otherwise.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
TALIA ONYANGO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-talia-onyango.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by TALIA ONYANGO »

This book is practical and I would recommend it to all cancer patients.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I think there will always be skeptics who only accept conventional medicine. I also agree with your thoughts on preaching to the choir.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

I am very sure the information given by the author are facts and not any misinformation. Orthodox medicine and the natural healing methods perhaps are both contrasted and compared for better management alternatives for cancer patients.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

Totally, specially to those who gulp pharmaceutical drugs blindly.
Think outside of the books.
Mark Dice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollyschafer.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00TREI0D4

Post by Mark Dice »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:07 I actually do not intend to read this because I'm a skeptic. While I'd be willing to look at natural means as a side dish, there's no way I'd use such treatments as the entrée, not with something as serious as cancer. Fortunately, I don't have cancer and therefore don't need either.
If you were to read the book, you would realize that Beljanski never recommends the alternative techniques as an "entree" but always in tandem with traditional chemo methods. I am a skeptic as well, but I do realize that I have no medical knowledge so I can be easily swayed on topics like this.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

The author did a very good job with the book, the writing style is quite simple, the book also has research backing but when it comes to convincing sceptics, I don't think it'll do much.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

While it is true that Orthodox medicine has helped a great deal, it is not also a lie that there loads of instances where it is still lagging behind or without any substantial progress for that matter. Among them is cancer and HIV/AIDS. So if alternative medicine could provide solutions, then why not? I am down for it.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

Though the book is realistic, i highly doubted the effectiveness of the procedures mentioned herein. plus no proper research was done in coming up with this novel.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I think you make a great point that most of the readers would be people who are somewhat suspicious of western medicine and pharmaceutical entities anyway. I hope I'm wrong and many people on both sides of the issue read this one. I found the sample completely compelling, but I'm someone who was sick for years only to be dismissed by doctor after doctor. Then, one day, a new doctor suggested I make a simple dietary change, which completely cured not only the initial problem I was trying to address but several other more minor ailments that had been bothering me. I guess you could say I'm primed by experience to be excited about this book.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Definitely, I am a sceptic on this. However, I have chosen to read it fully. Unless one experiences it, he/she cannot be authoritative in it.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I been wondering about the same thing. In Tanzania when you speak about alternative healing people will think you practise witchraft. This belief is rooted so deeply you wouldn't believe. There is a long way to go to change this mindset.
amafie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amafie.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by amafie »

I hope this title does attract people in the medical community! In my community, I see a shift happening where Dr.'s who practice with a western philosophy are actually referring their patient's toward more homeopathic medicine. I believe, in part, this is due to the extremely high rate of opioid abuse within our community and countless others in our nation. Regardless of what the reasons may be, I am encouraged to see that this shift is happening. I think the title of this book is spot on with the solid research that it is backed by.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

As said in this book, the pain of toxic therapy may force the sceptics to think about it. Also, it is a well researched and without any side effects cure. The world is changing in a way with people turning vegan and so on to lead a healthier life, so why not try out this alternative?
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I am inclined to believe that a non-chemotherapy treatment is something doctors should at least consider. If chemotherapy is so cruel, expensive, and uncertain method, then we must try something else. I think that the book might make a skeptic re-think.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”