Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Timjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Post by Timjim »

Individuals who are already familiar with alternative medicine will definitely love this book. Others might catch up later.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

MsTri wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:07 I actually do not intend to read this because I'm a skeptic. While I'd be willing to look at natural means as a side dish, there's no way I'd use such treatments as the entrée, not with something as serious as cancer. Fortunately, I don't have cancer and therefore don't need either.
I agree! Being a skeptic myself, I found the idea of this book unpleasant. I have had loved ones die of cancer and I still believe that traditional medicine holds the most hope.
Timjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Timjim »

I think this book would appeal to the majority of cancer patients. They just want to be rid of the disease. It's a matter of life and death.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I think a lot of people tend to become stuck in their ways and won't want to reach out and read information that doesn't support their current views. With that though, in families or groups that deal with cancer, it can be hard to hold on to faith in medicine and chemotherapy or radiation. So, people will probably be more likely to reach out and read this, but by that point, I would say they aren't really "skeptics" of the ideas in the book anymore.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I am normally pretty sceptical about far-fetched natural remedies for ailments that can already be cured by medications. I can be convinced of some things though, because many medications are developed from natural ingredients. Considering this and the fact that I had read a few people say that this method could just as easily be used for the prevention of cancer, opposed to the treatment of it, I do plan on reading this book in the future.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

a9436 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 08:45 I am not very far into the book yet, but as an anti-capitalist who has been let down by Western doctors, I was instantly drawn to the blurb and OBC review. I am sure I will find the book fascinating.

However, I do wonder who Winning the War on Cancer will appeal to in general - will the author metaphorically be, "preaching to the choir?" In my community, any mention of support for alternative medicine, or lack of support for established corporations, gets one labeled as a, "crazy hippy," or, "naiive," and a friend was only telling me yesterday about a British soap opera which is currently portraying non-chemotherapy cancer treatments as ridiculous and dangerous. Personally, I doubt that many people I know would consider reading a different perspective, despite the inclusion of proven science, and I find that highly disappointing.

Those of you who are further into the book - do you think the text is written in a way that will encourage sceptics to re-think? Or does it come across as too radical? What do you think of the cover - does that serve to attract or discourage opponents?
I think the author's writing style and presentation would convince skeptics to rethink, not all though. Cancer is a sickness to death. Medical practitioners can only delay the death, and the treatment is very expensive. But here comes a natural treatment with scientific proofs and testimonies of those who tried it. It would be unwise for a cancer patient to be skeptical about this when the patient knows that despite medical treatments they would still die. Instead of being skeptical, they should consider trying this method.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

I just hope the author doesn't write trash in this book this should be real fact. :evil:
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I don't think that this is meant or even will convince a sceptic. It is meant for those still with hope and still trying to look for alternative solutions.
MA
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I think the author would have to be incredibly neutral and aware of the validity of pro-western-medicine skepticism to not arouse suspicion from that audience.
dkleckne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dkleckne.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by dkleckne »

My mother died from breast cancer over 10 years ago. The topic was interesting to me since I always keep an ear out for new breakthroughs in the effort to find a cure. Upon learning that the topic was alternative medicine related to cancer, I have to say I was a huge skeptic of the claims that there were more effective methods than the mainstream medical community has that are not being utilized.

However, the author at least makes me curious to look into her claims more. It is completely plausible to me (as we are watching the opioid crisis in full swing) that the pharmaceutical industry is putting the ability to market expensive cancer-fighting drugs against the well-being of patients. It is completely possible in my mind (watching Congress in the last number of years) that the government is unaware or not powerful enough to fight for the interests of its regular citizens versus its corporate citizens.

I am most of the way through the book, and while I am not completely convinced of her claims, I am willing to consider them, and curious to learn more.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Although generally skeptics are very good at finding reasons for not believing in most things ,the evidence supplied in this book is hopefully sufficient to find a few converts.However i feel that for greater effect the book should have featured a few traceable testimonials .These are irrefutable and do more than appeal- they demand attention.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

I don't think the novel presents itself as attractive to skeptics on first glance, and definitely won't convince anyone 100%. However, its a good way to view an alternate perspective
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I think we do not change the way we react to things because of one way in which a person presents their story. The story is detailed in a way, backed with scientific statistics and quite informative, I could take a lesson or two.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I think there is growing interest in natural medicine, but it would take already having some interest in it to pick up this book. That being said, the book could serve to push people who are on the fence more towards the natural side of things, especially if they find the scientific arguments convincing.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

in my opinion, the author based it on facts and i wont say anything to contradict it.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”