Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
edith38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edith38.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by edith38 »

The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

I think from what I've read so far it is based off her Father's research, so it is more opinion based. I think in some way she being a Molecular Biologist did in some way authenticate the research. Yeah, I'm a bit torn.
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl »

I'm a believer in the idea that a certain amount of knowledge in a specific field will make you an expert in that field. Because the author's father was a molecular biologist, I assume she learned her knowledge from him and is therefore qualified to discuss such matters. It's the same thing as an apprenticeship.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Personal opinion can lead to scientific research. When a trend begins and people claim to have some outcome, experiments are often conducted to validate or refute the claims. It could be a step in the direction to more scientific approaches.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Not only has her father researched it, but further research was done even after he died. It is well-resesrched, though not everyone wants to recognize it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

It seems to me that the book is supported by suitable proof.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I have not read the book completely, however I have seen other research supporting natural remedies for health in general.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:22 The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
Well, my dad was a Royal Marine, but that doesn’t make me a military expert. I take a rather dim view on this kind of book. Coming from a country which has a national health service which would welcome less expensive cancer care, I’m not so open to the conspiracy theory angles.
The survival rates for breast cancer have improved considerably over the last few years, entirely down to mainstream research. I have had cancer treatment myself and had no end of people prescribing mushrooms, honey and positive thinking to me. I would just roll my eyes and go for my next chemo session.
And my hair came back curly.
RESULT!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 17:31
edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:22 The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
Well, my dad was a Royal Marine, but that doesn’t make me a military expert. I take a rather dim view on this kind of book. Coming from a country which has a national health service which would welcome less expensive cancer care, I’m not so open to the conspiracy theory angles.
The survival rates for breast cancer have improved considerably over the last few years, entirely down to mainstream research. I have had cancer treatment myself and had no end of people prescribing mushrooms, honey and positive thinking to me. I would just roll my eyes and go for my next chemo session.
And my hair came back curly.
RESULT!
Well, the author brings in experts from the medical field because she knows she's not an expert. Plus, she also did tons of research to continue in her father's footsteps.

Secondly, she and her father are also recommending that these treatments be used with chemo. There is even one of their products that helps with some of the side effects.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

As a scientific researcher, I think the author based the book on research findings. Without a degree on such field is not a basis whether it is an opinion or fact as long as she stated the research paper she had based on. If she used her father's research to come up with this book, then it could be what we call a meta-analysis research where everything in the paper is a compilation of knowledge from other papers.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book definitely uses research to back up its claims. It’s not just making wild accusations and theories. The author’s father was a scientist who did tons of research on this subject.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

It could be based on some research, particularly that of her father's. It could have been better however, had she also had a degree on a related field.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

abbiejoice wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:10 It could be based on some research, particularly that of her father's. It could have been better however, had she also had a degree on a related field.
Though I said that degree is not relevant when presenting a meta-analysis research, I think what you said is also true. If she had the degree on such topic, it could help skeptics think twice.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

In my point of view this book is based on opinion of the author backed by research of his father. One cannot totally ignore this book stating that it is opinion based . The information contained in the book is authentic as it has undergone enough research.
---
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I am glad that this book seems to have undergone some research. I think that many people in a position where they may feel compelled to read this book may resort to anything to overcome cancer. So I am glad that there is research backing.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”