Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Re: Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

From what I've read so far, I believe that this book is based on research rather that the author's (Dr. Sylvie Beljanski) opinions. The research had been started and even tested by Dr. Beljanski's father who was also a Doctor.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:22 The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
I must say, I am torn trying to decide whether this book is based on fact or opinion. Though her father was a molecular biologist, which legitimizes some of the ideas in this book, I would venture to say that this book is more opinion.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

Even though the Research was conducted by a close person, it doesn't mean it can't be to the point. However, I would suggest reading this book along with others as a comparison, to get more scientific opinions.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

If the author has additional skills it should be specified. His father's vision may be different from his. I think I'll have to read the book again so I can judge perfectly.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Dr Mirko Beljanski PhD left behind something like 133 peer-reviewed research papers. His daughter Sylvie doesn't make any claims for his research that she doesn't meticulously cross-reference to a source or back up with footnotes. In that respect, it isn't just an opinion that she's putting forward here, it's a theory (or theories) supported by documented evidence. However, other questions then arise: how reliable is this evidence? to what extent does it support her conclusions? To answer these with any degree of authority, you would need (in my opinion) to have some kind of medical or scientific training.
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

The book seems to be well researched because a lot of notable studies were cited and one can tell that the author has a lot of passion for the topic.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I think that she has gone specific research about the matter because she is a professional and perhaps, she cares about the reputation of her book.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

I haven't read the whole book. The forward was written by an attorney who had a positive experience with alternative medicine. The author presented respected cancer research created by her father that is very promising for persons with certain medical conditions. So I think that the book contains topics that can be considered both opinions and the results of research.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

I don't think this book is based on extensive research on cancer treatment. The author's opinion is based on her father's biological research which nobody can trust unless the medicines are proved effective on cancer patients.
rnmitchell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rnmitchell.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by rnmitchell »

I've not finished the book, but if it has the proper sources cited I don't see why her lack of formal education in the medical sciences prevents it from being accurate.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Personally, I think that the author gets ready by doing a lot of researches, interviews, and personal knowledge to make this book. It appears pretty well on the product.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Beljanski is not an expert in this specific field, however, I do not think this in anyway detracts from her knowledge about the subject. Sometimes people who have been exposed to a certain area of study, as is the case where her father's molecular biology expertise may have carried over into some of the things she picked up, have more knowledge of said subject than people who may be deemed as experts in their field. I think it's an amalgamation of the two, opinion and research, which made it, yes, slightly biased but also valid.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I think that you don't need a degree in a certain subject to tell others our write a book, you just need to know the subject well. So if the learned from her father, who is a qualified expert then she should be entitled to speak on the subject
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I think that while the book is opinion based, her opinion stems from her belief in her father's research. It is a bit of both opinion and research.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

Just because she doesn't have the official background in medicine doesn't change the fact that her arguments were well-detailed and credible. It's not as if she went and Googled the majority of her points or they were unfounded - she experienced most of these events firsthand.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”