Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by briellejee »

Al Chakauya wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 11:37 She used her father's research and they call it meta-analysis research and it's taken to be valid as long as the research follows all scientific protocol of research findings. So for me it's a valid book because the author emphasises on the need for chemotherapy on top of the natural remedies.
Yes! meta-analysis is a form of research based on other research papers, like this one. Although, this book still contains her biased opinions.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

Thank you for bringing this critical viewpoint. I think this is an important question to ask of this kind of book. I find it rides the line between an autobiography and historical fiction despite presenting itself as non-fiction - it's certainly not a scientific work. A hard look at what sources are there (though the author leaves many claims entirely unsupported) shows that the vast majority of the author's sources are insular and nepotistic. She largely pulls from her father's research, peer-reviewed or not, and her own foundation. Regardless of the author's background, she needs many, many more legitimate, published sources outside of herself and her father to have credibility.
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

After reading the book, it is clear that the author put a lot of time and effort into understanding the basics of biology, even referencing biology's central dogma and reverse transcriptase. The amount of research she did on her own, even without a formal degree, is enough for me to believe that the book is based on research rather than opinion.
meghankelly009
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghankelly009.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by meghankelly009 »

I am generally hesitant to jump on "conspiracy theories" and I have not finished this book yet, but I will say that her writing is very convincing and she seems to bring in experts ideas as well as her own. Overall, it is still an opinion. I think in order to fully take this book as written truth, there would need to be more discussion with people and experts who refute it.

However, to answer the question, "Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?" I would say that is has a decent amount of research backing it, but had it been written by the people who have conducted the research, it may have been more successful in coming across as "truth" since it would probably have presented more questions against her ideas and been able to refute the critics for effectively
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

It seems to be mostly opinion. Although it references research, it doesn't seem to be a balanced viewpoint.
"There's so much more to a book than just the reading."
-- Maurice Sendak
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

In my understanding I think this book is more of an opinion since most research here have not been accepted by contemporary medical boards.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

It is as result of a research.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Even though her official background was originally in law, based on her story, and more importantly, the science she ultimately learned through her journey, I would 100% argue that the book is research based. I would also argue that especially BECAUSE her original background was in law, she would know better than to make a bunch of major claims without doing all the research necessary to go public. I also think the website speaks for itself -- not to mention the enormous body of published scientific works that illustrate the many points she makes in her book. I thought this was an EXCELLENT book.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

The author is reporting on the research of her father, who was a medical researcher. The information in the book could be used to treat people wirh cancer, but more testing should be done to prove it's effectiveness.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

indepaintence wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 18:22 Thank you for bringing this critical viewpoint. I think this is an important question to ask of this kind of book. I find it rides the line between an autobiography and historical fiction despite presenting itself as non-fiction - it's certainly not a scientific work. A hard look at what sources are there (though the author leaves many claims entirely unsupported) shows that the vast majority of the author's sources are insular and nepotistic. She largely pulls from her father's research, peer-reviewed or not, and her own foundation. Regardless of the author's background, she needs many, many more legitimate, published sources outside of herself and her father to have credibility.
This seems to be a good point and a fresh perspective. Though there were sources cited, I guess I do agree with you that they are nepotistic. Thanks for this viewpoint - it really changed the way I see this book! :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Cleis
Favorite Book: Garments Against Women
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-indepaintence.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Cleis »

briellejee wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 04:35
indepaintence wrote: 23 Jan 2019, 18:22 Thank you for bringing this critical viewpoint. I think this is an important question to ask of this kind of book. I find it rides the line between an autobiography and historical fiction despite presenting itself as non-fiction - it's certainly not a scientific work. A hard look at what sources are there (though the author leaves many claims entirely unsupported) shows that the vast majority of the author's sources are insular and nepotistic. She largely pulls from her father's research, peer-reviewed or not, and her own foundation. Regardless of the author's background, she needs many, many more legitimate, published sources outside of herself and her father to have credibility.
This seems to be a good point and a fresh perspective. Though there were sources cited, I guess I do agree with you that they are nepotistic. Thanks for this viewpoint - it really changed the way I see this book! :tiphat:
Thanks! I think my original post may have been just a little harsh, there were two strong sources supporting her father's research from Columbia University. However, I still wish that there were more outside sources so that I could sit back and enjoy! I felt like I had to be skeptical while reading because of how many missing citations there seemed to be. :techie-studyingbrown:
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

The author's father did the hard work, the daughter has also sought help from experts in the field but it still isn't as good as if it came from the horse's mouth...
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

How about its her opinion based on her father's research? I don't think that qualifies as her research given it is her father's research and her background isn't in science.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

You are right, the author has degree in some other decipline. But actually she is presenting this book from the perspective of her father's research. She has sufficiently provided facts and figures to support this research. Plus, she has cited many cases that were solved using this healing method, that includes both traditional and natural ways to cure Cancer. So I am of view that this book is quite authentic, and is a great source of hope for those who are undergoing painful traditional treatment of cancer.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I think it is well-researched since it is backed up by scientific and statistical data as well as professional studies in the field. It is, after all, Sylvie's attempt to make her father's work known to the general public.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”