Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Manali_DC »

As someone working in the medical profession I would like to start by saying that there is still so much research going on in the field of Cancer and there is still so much that remains unknown. Yes, we hear stories about people who have rejected chemotherapy and used alternative medicine and gotten better. But people who want to opt for alternative treatments should be very well informed. Not every cancer is the same, nor do they progress at the same rate- some may be fast growing and some relatively slow. The saddest thing would be for a person to waste precious time exploring other options for a disease which could have been easily cured in the early stages and allow it to progress to a stage where it is difficult to treat!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

briellejee wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 10:08
kdstrack wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 09:53
briellejee wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 09:42

Good for her! That is really great news! :D
Her recovery has been incredible. Had she opted for the chemo she would have been weak and run down. Instead, she has recovered her health and has been able to enjoy her family. I think there are a lot of alternate treatments out there to cure cancer. People need to be knowledgeable enough to research and find them and strong enough to stand up to the pressure you will receive from people who want you to follow traditional methods of treatment.
Where did she learn about the alternative treatment? and what stage was she at?
When the dr. told her to get chemo (with a 5 yr. prognosis), she refused. Her thinking was that if she only had a few years of life remaining, she wanted to be able to spend it with her family and not vomiting and recovering from chemo treatments. She did most of her research online. Once she started with liquid vit. C treatments, one thing led to another. People started referring her to other practitioners of alternative medicine to get the treatment she needed. She changed her whole diet (green drinks, salads, vitamins, essential oils, etc.). She is currently doing plasma replacement and monitors white blood cell count. She had not fully "recovered" but has learned to manage it with these treatments. And she feels good! I find her experience so inspiring.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

briellejee wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:16 I am very sorry for the diagnosis for your mom. It is indeed painful to see them go through it. I have lost loved ones to cancer, and I have ones who survived. You and your mom are in my prayers. As to answer your question, I think for now we cannot say it is fully effective compared to the traditional one, like chemo. It could be a helping hand, that, I know for sure, but being more effective is something I cannot say it. However, I have read papers and learned about people doing it like Dr. Beljanski and his daughter, and the results are somehow promising; but it still yet to be known.
I do agree that using anything that works is good, yet did these extracts really *cure* cancer? The people she talked of had to take the supplements for the rest of their lives and got very sick without them. To me, that is obviously not a cure. Yet, it is promising. I'm looking at it with a grain of salt...
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I have a family member dealing with cancer and she is also very listless and not the same person she used to be. Unfortunately, she is fully immersed in the western medicine mindset. I have tried to offer multiple options that I have come across that are more natural and have fewer side effects. She smiles and pats my arm, fully believing that she is doing everything that can be done because that's what her doctor has told her.
I am sure that if she were to try Beljanski's products she would be doing much better. As mentioned in the book, they are found to work well with the 'traditional' treatments so she would be able to still follow the doctor she so blindly follows, but hopefully not have such harsh side effects.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 11:23 I am using alternative treatments to treat myself. However, I do not have cancer. Traditional medicine has failed me. I tried everything that they offered with no relief. In desperation, I turned to natural medicines, and my life got 1000% better. However, I have seen lies about the herbs that I use. Flat out lies. Big pharma doesn't want you to know that there are natural cures out there that are MORE effective than theirs with LESS side effects. Why? Because they make BILLIONS of dollars. They can't patent natural medicine. They can't make money off of it. So, are there other treatments that will cure cancer? Yes! I'm positive of it.
I completely agree with you. The false information that floods the market and the internet is sickening. It's very difficult to find solid information on natural treatments which made this book all the more appealing.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 11:23 I am using alternative treatments to treat myself. However, I do not have cancer. Traditional medicine has failed me. I tried everything that they offered with no relief. In desperation, I turned to natural medicines, and my life got 1000% better. However, I have seen lies about the herbs that I use. Flat out lies. Big pharma doesn't want you to know that there are natural cures out there that are MORE effective than theirs with LESS side effects. Why? Because they make BILLIONS of dollars. They can't patent natural medicine. They can't make money off of it. So, are there other treatments that will cure cancer? Yes! I'm positive of it.
So true. As a child, I depended so much on Big Pharma, because my lungs were weak, I got sick every other week and so on. Yes, a doctor cured me, yes I got a surgery to fix me. And I am not against tradicional medicine or doctors. But there are so many side effects. I have used traditional medicine most of my life, and I will never say I am not okay because of it, because it cured me, it still does. I do vaccines, I do pills, I do doctos, because I do not know enough about my options. I can cure a cold with natural remedies, I can relieve a back pain or a burn with Aloe Vera, but I have not yet learn how to cure other things.

Traditional medicine, sometimes, makes us choose how we want to die, with the disease or poison by the chemicals. This is something that does not happen with alternative treatments, because they are natural, they cannot poison the body.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Though I don'the know anyone who has opted for this kind of treatment, I think this new method(non-toxic and natural) would be better than the conventional method.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I don't know anyone who treated cancer with alternative medicine, but I think it is something we should try. Especially because chemotherapy doesn't work for everyone.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I know of people who swear by alternative medicine, but I do think there isn't enough proven research into some of those methods at this point just based on number of case studies. Honestly I feel like a lot of emphasis isn't put on prevention enough. I feel like it's fairly well established that someone who is living a healthy life should be cutting down on their risks of illness some.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I've heard several stories about natural cancer treatments, and the results seem mixed. Some people seem to have cancer go into remission with no problems, while others don't seem to have any success and end up having to return to a more rigorous traditional treatment. I think it has to be taken on a case-by-case basis.
lhen054
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lhen054 »

My immediate and most favorite cousin was diagnosed last year, she finished by 2nd week of November a few days after her birthday. I rejoiced with her after completing the chemotherapy and she was very happy and so are the rest of the people who hoped for her to get better. Although, as time go passed after the chemo her body is not the same as it was before anymore. I have been hearing a lot and reading a lot that chemotherapy is not really a solution to cure cancer. But it's the only choice a cancer patient has for now. With all its cost that my cousin paid for along with the help from friends and other people who cared. I guess the cure is the fact that there is something there to believe in that will extend a life, and she grabbed that. Now, I guess what's extending her life is the belief that she's got cured after the procedure.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I do believe that the alternative remedies for cancer can be more effective than the conventional treatments, because there are no negative side effects for natural extracts like Pao Pereira and Rauwolfia vomitoria. I do not know anyone who is currently fighting cancer, but if I did I would be sure to recommend these extracts to them.
:character-ariel:
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

I am a strong believer of natural treatment. I think that chemotherapy is strong enough to kill cancer cells but it also weakens the body. I'd rather use alternative medicines rather than get weaker due to traditional treatment. There are a lot of stories of people winning against cancer by using alternative treatment. Plus, I think the person's willingness to like and fight cancer is a great factor too. I'm sorry to hear about your mom but I think that as long as your family will support her, she will definitely win this war against cancer.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Cancer remains an enigma and even though we profess to understand it, and what causes it, we don't. It's important not to discount any options in the treatment of most diseases. However, I cannot cast stones at the big pharmaceutical companies either because it is to them we look for so many medical breakthroughs, vaccinations being an example, that have saved millions of lives. I believe each one must deal with his body and its ailments as he sees fit, and without judgement.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

The alternative methods depicted in this book look like they could be more effective than the traditional ones. As for life experiences, I've heard stories but I'm not certain of those stories.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”