Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Timjim
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timjim.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Timjim »

Nature is original. As long as an alternative treatment relies on natural materials, it will most likely be effective.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I feel that conventional treatments should be tried first. That said, if they do not work I believe that there may be alternative treatments that work for some people.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

Unfortunately, there are no records of research about the effectiveness of alternative methods in curing cancer. Conventional medicine does not receive the advertising hype that alternative methods do, but supporters of alternative methods claim that big pharmaceutical companies do not want to lose revenue on their products. I would like to see some serious research done on alternative methods.
Robby Chandra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Robby Chandra »

I am sorry for your mother, prescription drugs or alternative medicine as long as they really cure cancer should be tried, which is better between the two must be proven by real research and concrete evidence that has been cured with these drugs.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think that we are learning new things every day for alternatives for cancer. Doctors have found different foods and medicines can shrink cancerous tumors. There are also different types of cannabis that are affecting cancer. I think no matter what you should look at all options because even the littlest thing might help.
nvii_ft
Favorite Book: The Truth About Forever
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nvii-ft.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by nvii_ft »

The world is continually modernising and as time flies, more things are renovated or invented for the better. I believe alternative medicines are effective in curing diseases including cancer. However, it comes with higher compensation in comparison with traditional cures. The price will be more expensive and the medicine itself might have some side effects. I know it's very difficult for us when our loved ones are undergoing painful experiences and we just want their pain to be cured immediately and effectively but wanting fast solutions will not fixed the problem permanently. Sure, you can opt for alternative medicines, which are better, besides chemotherapy but keep in mind that everything takes time.
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever »

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's battle with cancer. I will pray for her and your family. My dad died 18 years ago of Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. He was misdiagnosed and when they found it, it was too late. I don't know if the alternative meds work but some patients prefer them because they have less side effects than chemotherapy.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

timd wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 12:51 Unfortunately, there are no records of research about the effectiveness of alternative methods in curing cancer. Conventional medicine does not receive the advertising hype that alternative methods do, but supporters of alternative methods claim that big pharmaceutical companies do not want to lose revenue on their products. I would like to see some serious research done on alternative methods.
It's true. There is not enough research on alternative methods, but there is some. For every study, there is a lot of money from traditional oncology dedicated to proving the alternative methods won't work. It's true that pharmaceutical companies (chemo drug companies) drive most of the research. I thing the perspective that is lost in all of this, from my experience, is this: Our hyper-focus on quantity of life is misdirected, where cancer treatment is concerned. Studies may show that people live some percentage longer with certain traditional treatments. What's missed in these studies is how profoundly many survivor's lives have been negatively impacted by traditional treatments, especially chemotherapy. Survival at what cost? There is an enormous faction of survivors, including myself, who would never, under any circumstances, choose these treatments again, even to save our lives. I would gladly have traded years of my life to not be suffering with devastating long-term effects of chemo. The importance of the quality of remaining life is profoundly under-recognized. I think this is an area where research is badly needed. Not meant to be a rant. :tiphat:
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html

Post by timd »

I can fully understand your perspective as I have seen many cancer victims. I personally feel that there are in fact more than several alternative treatments which have not been investigated fully. I also would not be surprised to hear that large companies had been instrumental in keeping this research either secret or not allowing it to be done. I think after it was discovered that in the 60'S sugar manufactures apparently paid researchers to publish that fats were responsible for obesity and not sugar, then anything is possible. Here in South Africa, I do tend to support conventional medicine as there are many scams over here.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I am a definite advocate of alternative medicine. I use it for both myself and my family on a daily basis. Do I think it could be MORE helpful in treating cancer than traditional medicines? I can only say that in my research into herbology, I've never come across anything that could. (Not that herbology is the only form of alternative medicine. It's simply what I'm familiar with.) Can it help in some aspects? Definitely. But look for reliable sources with plenty of positive reviews and detailed information. Or go the wild route and grow the plants you have researched and found as possibilities yourself. But as with anything, research, research, research. Natural medicines can be just as lethal in the wrong combination and/or dose as pharmaceutical ones.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by hala-elnagy »

Many cases have been treated with natural herbs and proved its usefulness but the problem of herbs that they contain several components beside the active component.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I'm sorry for your mother's diagnosis, I hope she will be cured and have a speedy recovery. I think theres nothing wrong in trying alternative medicine specially if they have good results to boast. Its actually nice nowadays because people have many options than before.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

briellejee wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 17:46
kandscreeley wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 11:23 I am using alternative treatments to treat myself. However, I do not have cancer. Traditional medicine has failed me. I tried everything that they offered with no relief. In desperation, I turned to natural medicines, and my life got 1000% better. However, I have seen lies about the herbs that I use. Flat out lies. Big pharma doesn't want you to know that there are natural cures out there that are MORE effective than theirs with LESS side effects. Why? Because they make BILLIONS of dollars. They can't patent natural medicine. They can't make money off of it. So, are there other treatments that will cure cancer? Yes! I'm positive of it.
Though I still have faith in traditional medicine because my family has been in the medical field since then, these words ring true. I have seen Medicine as a field for almost half my life, and I can't deny the fact that it is polluted with political and corporate greed. Sometimes I wonder why these people even call themselves doctor when all they care about is exploiting money.

I agree with both of you. I especially have issues with big pharma CEO's who have medical licenses. In my opinion, they should have their licenses revoked because they have obviously forgotten the oath they swore.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

KRay93 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:24 Recently, my mother was diagnosed with a type of cancer known as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and during the last month, she has received several doses of chemotherapy. Being a person who is usually in motion, whether doing housework or other activities, it is shocking to see her so listless and weak as a result of such treatment. However, none of us are very open to considering a type of non-conventional treatment, apart from the fact that she can still enjoy several more years of life if this whole process proves successful.

In this book, the daughter of Dr. Mirko Beljanski exposes the journey of several decades of his father in search of alternative treatments for cancer (which includes new perspectives around genes, mutations, the relationship between emotional and environmental toxins and the destabilization of DNA, the effects of certain substances on hormone-dependent cancers, and the significance of cancer stem cells among others), even having worked to extend the life of French President Francois Mitterand beyond what his doctors expected.

At the same time, both Beljanski and his wife were found guilty of illegal practice of pharmacy, regardless of some irregularities in the judicial process and the relentless persecution against them by corporations and the government. Considering the research exposed in Beljanski daughter’s book and contrasting it with the almost unanimous acceptance of conventional treatments in the scientific community, do you believe that the alternative options depicted in Winning the War on Cancer could be more effective than the traditional ones? Do you know someone who has opted for this kind of treatment? How was their experience?
I don't know anyone who has opted for this kind of treatment before and I can't say if this method is more effective than the traditional. But I can say that it is worth trying out.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

briellejee wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:16 I am very sorry for the diagnosis for your mom. It is indeed painful to see them go through it. I have lost loved ones to cancer, and I have ones who survived. You and your mom are in my prayers. As to answer your question, I think for now we cannot say it is fully effective compared to the traditional one, like chemo. It could be a helping hand, that, I know for sure, but being more effective is something I cannot say it. However, I have read papers and learned about people doing it like Dr. Beljanski and his daughter, and the results are somehow promising; but it still yet to be known.
I agree with you.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”