Cancer Survivors

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Cancer Survivors

Post by briellejee »

dublinkmy6 wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 16:08 Yeah, feels like medicine after death for me. I lost my adoptive dad to cancer last year and he could have made do with some information from this book. If only I had come across it earlier.
I wish I did too before losing my family one by one because of cancer. At least there could've been hope. I'm so sorry about your dad :(
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I feel like the information is timely and in need of wide publicity. Especially for health maintenance.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I think it would have been nice information to know, but I don't think this "cure" is any different from the hundreds of other remedies out there. Try as much as you can, try what makes sense.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I think that this information would have been a good thing to have read and had the option of trying and thinking about, but like with every other alternative option, everyone is different. You have to look at what is working and what isn't working for you, and look at your own beliefs before making your own decision on whether to try an alternative option or not.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

Since cancer survivors escaped with their lives, I'm sure they would be highly interested in anything related to cancer inorder to face a possible reoccurence.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

My grandmother passed away from lung cancer several years ago. She underwent traditional care which caused her a lot of pain. I wish I had known more about alternative treatments back then because she could have possibly been spared some pain.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Having lost family members to cancer, I think it would been good to know about the alternative treatments available. Maybe u wouldn't have lost them that early.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

My aunt is a cancer survivor, and I would totally recommend this book to her. She actually did veer in the direction of alternate medicine, incorporating her treatments with our acclaimed cultural practices. I distinctly remember reading about a Jamaican doctor who was researching the use of alternate remedies in medicine, and found some success in the cancer research field.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Coming from a family with history of cancer and death because of it, I salute the survivors including my relatives and I wish will all prayers that there will be a treatment for longer life.
Cecil Rhodes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecil-rhodes.html
Latest Review: Twisted But True by Darren Burch

Post by Cecil Rhodes »

Cancer survivors will find this book relevant thus are likely to identify with it.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 14:00 As others have mentioned, there are scores of treatments for healing cancer, as alternatives to disfiguring surgeries and toxic drugs. I certainly understand that many who have chosen the traditional route are grateful to have survived the disease. As for me, I reluctantly chose the traditional treatments, including chemotherapy. It is poison. It permanently destroyed numerous physical and cognitive systems, and my life is forever altered. There is an enormous group of people who have experienced what the author reveals in this book. Treatments for cancer present a very personal set of decisions, and I understand how daunting the choices are when mortality is on the table. I wouldn't fault anyone for their personal decisions. I would not, under any circumstances, choose traditional treatments again.
It is good to hear from a survivor. I am a survivor, too. That's why I posted this topic. I endured traditional treatments: surgery, chemo, and radiation. And, while I am thankful to have survived both the cancer and the treatment, like you, I don't think I would go through it again. I was out of work for months. I still have neuropathy, chemo-brain, joint pain, muscle cramps, and the list could go on. But, again, agreeing with you, those choices are easier when you're not sitting across from the doctor. Choices are easier made when you're not the one facing death. While my oncologist didn't suggest alternative treatments, he didn't discourage me from trying supplements and healthy food choices. I don't know what he would have said if I'd walked in with this book under my arm, though! Thank you for sharing here. :tiphat:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 14:52 I'm definitely open to alternative medical treatments, but I, too, would like to hear more reactions from cancer survivors regarding this book.
Thank you. Me, too.

I posted this question because I am a survivor. Reading this book elicited many emotions. At first, I felt like I was being shamed for having gone through traditional treatments. I got a little defensive about it, but I tried to put that aside and understand the point of the book. Yes, drug companies and even insurance companies are in business for the money. When I was going through chemotherapy, did the executives of the drug company actually care about me? No. But my oncologist did. And that's where I have to focus my thoughts and questions about this book.

I wondered if my doctor would have suggested alternative therapies if they were available to him. I believe he would have. Even though I went through the whole regimen (numerous surgeries, months of chemo, and months of radiation) my doctor never discouraged me from looking for other treatments. He didn't offer them, but if I asked about supplements or certain food choices, he always encouraged me to try them. He was interested in my well-being. Now, I know that I was blessed to have him as my doctor. Not all oncologists are so open. Nevertheless, I suffer from the after-effects of my treatments years later. I pray I don't have cancer again. If I do, I don't know what kind of treatment I would accept. I don't want to go through chemo again. However, it's a decision that cannot truly be made unless I am sitting across from a doctor knowing that I might die. That puts things in a new perspective.

I do admire the author and her tenacity in finding alternative treatments. I would love to see her be able to get them into mainstream medicine. I pray she keeps knocking down walls -- for all of us!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 11:01
Cecilia_L wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 14:52 I'm definitely open to alternative medical treatments, but I, too, would like to hear more reactions from cancer survivors regarding this book.
Thank you. Me, too.

I posted this question because I am a survivor. Reading this book elicited many emotions. At first, I felt like I was being shamed for having gone through traditional treatments. I got a little defensive about it, but I tried to put that aside and understand the point of the book. Yes, drug companies and even insurance companies are in business for the money. When I was going through chemotherapy, did the executives of the drug company actually care about me? No. But my oncologist did. And that's where I have to focus my thoughts and questions about this book.

I wondered if my doctor would have suggested alternative therapies if they were available to him. I believe he would have. Even though I went through the whole regimen (numerous surgeries, months of chemo, and months of radiation) my doctor never discouraged me from looking for other treatments. He didn't offer them, but if I asked about supplements or certain food choices, he always encouraged me to try them. He was interested in my well-being. Now, I know that I was blessed to have him as my doctor. Not all oncologists are so open. Nevertheless, I suffer from the after-effects of my treatments years later. I pray I don't have cancer again. If I do, I don't know what kind of treatment I would accept. I don't want to go through chemo again. However, it's a decision that cannot truly be made unless I am sitting across from a doctor knowing that I might die. That puts things in a new perspective.

I do admire the author and her tenacity in finding alternative treatments. I would love to see her be able to get them into mainstream medicine. I pray she keeps knocking down walls -- for all of us!
Sarah, I didn't realize you were a cancer survivor. I'm sure that puts the book in a different perspective for you. I totally understand what you mean about feeling shamed for using traditional treatment. I feel each person must make the best choice for them. It's also beneficial to have as much information as possible, which is another reason I appreciate books like this one. I wish you the best!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 10:34
Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 14:00 As others have mentioned, there are scores of treatments for healing cancer, as alternatives to disfiguring surgeries and toxic drugs. I certainly understand that many who have chosen the traditional route are grateful to have survived the disease. As for me, I reluctantly chose the traditional treatments, including chemotherapy. It is poison. It permanently destroyed numerous physical and cognitive systems, and my life is forever altered. There is an enormous group of people who have experienced what the author reveals in this book. Treatments for cancer present a very personal set of decisions, and I understand how daunting the choices are when mortality is on the table. I wouldn't fault anyone for their personal decisions. I would not, under any circumstances, choose traditional treatments again.
It is good to hear from a survivor. I am a survivor, too. That's why I posted this topic. I endured traditional treatments: surgery, chemo, and radiation. And, while I am thankful to have survived both the cancer and the treatment, like you, I don't think I would go through it again. I was out of work for months. I still have neuropathy, chemo-brain, joint pain, muscle cramps, and the list could go on. But, again, agreeing with you, those choices are easier when you're not sitting across from the doctor. Choices are easier made when you're not the one facing death. While my oncologist didn't suggest alternative treatments, he didn't discourage me from trying supplements and healthy food choices. I don't know what he would have said if I'd walked in with this book under my arm, though! Thank you for sharing here. :tiphat:
Thank you for this discussion. I did some alternative treatments as well as the traditional ones. My doctors were also open to that but at the same time pushed the chemo as the only way to save my life. That's the approach I question. I appreciate the dialogue. :tiphat:
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
KateM234
Currently Reading: Betrayal in Blue
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katem234.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KateM234 »

My best friend is a cancer survivor currently in remission, and upon asking her this question her response was this: "Everyone has their own journey ahead of them when it comes to battling this disease, and I made the decision to follow the regimen I was given from my medical professionals. I don't feel slighted because we didn't use a different method - I knew what I was signing up for - however, it is exciting to know that there are alternatives out there! Being aware of your options is extremely important!"

Good luck to all those fighting their own battles with cancer, our thoughts and hopes are with you all. :angelic-innocent:

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”