Cancer Survivors

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
nicole0bray
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87

Re: Cancer Survivors

Post by nicole0bray »

I am not a cancer survivor myself but recently studied a module on reading illness. I looked at different illness narratives with a focus on cancer patients such as Grealy, Lucy: Autobiography of a Face and
Lorde, Audre: The Cancer Journals. It's especially interesting to compare these illness narratives to the lesser-known Sylvie, Beljanski: Winning the war on cancer. I find that exploring the different perspectives given in illness narratives about illness not only by exploring the types of losses it generates but the different ways in which pain is articulated, and how the experience of illness affects patients’ sense of self. The choices of a patient are usually at the forefront of an illness novel and the choices made in Winning the war in cancer are an example to many others who read the book. A few cancer survivors in this forum have spoken about if they had read this book before undergoing treatment they would have made different choices. This is the importance of illness narratives: to voice pain and give importance to this voice.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I have an aunt who has been struggling hard to win the war of cancer for a long period of time. So I think cancer patients will definitely find this book very much beneficial.
book_fanatic_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-fanatic.html
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato

Post by book_fanatic_ »

I'm not a cancer survivor myself but I'm sure the book would help the cancer survivors to deal with the issues post treatment.
Latest Review: Wonder by Jon Trovato
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

It is a sad topic, but it is a topic we cannot avoid. People are curious to know how to defeat the monster called cancer and their curiosity will drown whatever emotions the book might evoke.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I'd almost lost an aunt to breast cancer a few years back. I would recommend it to her, particularly because since she's beat it, she's made it her mission to get as well-informed on the subject as possible, joining and donating to several foundations even before she was diagnosed. I think it'll lift up her spirits, knowing that other people are fighting like she did.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

My grandfather died due to colon cancer. Perhaps if I read this book prior to his death, there would have been something more we could have done. To cancer survivors, thank God that you have survived! I cannot imagine the pain you had to go through.
Yvonne Monique
2021 Reading Goal: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Unfortunately, like many on this forum, I have seen too many cancer cases in my family to either believe in mainstream or alternative treatments. The only valid treatment is prevention and early detection.
car-mbz
2021 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by car-mbz »

I think this book will help cancer survivors to live healthy generally and have knowledge on preventing reoccurence of their cancers.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”