What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

What do you think about the Title?

Post by briellejee »

I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Funa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Funa »

Cancer has taken so much from so many people world wide . The title to me, represent hope to overcome. Hope that we can not only overcome the disease itself, but we can also overcome the losses and pain it causes.
I therefore see the title as befitting and accurate.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

The title appeals to me because I, too, have lost loved ones to cancer. I would love to see how the author believes we can win the war against the disease. Even though there's nothing we can do for those that have died from cancer, we can still do something for those currently fighting. I believe that's what the author means by "winning."
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Funa wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 23:13 Cancer has taken so much from so many people world wide . The title to me, represent hope to overcome. Hope that we can not only overcome the disease itself, but we can also overcome the losses and pain it causes.
I therefore see the title as befitting and accurate.
Maybe I can see this perspective if I stare at it for long enough, but I was also referring to my first reaction when I saw the title. Thank you for your insight though, will bear it in mind! :tiphat:
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

The title is very good and very apt for the book. It also grabs the attention of the readers and induces an interest to read the book.
---
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The title gives optimism that the diagnosis is not a verdict. Till there.is hope, anything can be overcome.
nvii_ft
Favorite Book: The Truth About Forever
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nvii-ft.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by nvii_ft »

Since it stated winning, so I guess it might mean that this book actually has a cure for cancer. I haven't read it but the title gave me some ideas that characters in the story found a way to either cope with cancer or cure cancer.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I think cancer is curable if caught at the beginning stage. It's not about a false hope.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I looked at it as two ways of winning...combating the disease and letting the powers that be know that alternative medicine is just as important as traditional treatments that have shown a poor track record. The author is clear at the beginning about the “war” that has happened for those with sound supplements from natural substances and the lack of FDA excitement. The war is not only the one facing the diagnosis but the people who desire to cure the problem with sincerity versus greed. The war, whether we like it or not, is once again political. And the ones suffering are in the middle of the fight just trying to survive.
Everything happens for a reason...
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

The title sure grabs my attention, though I must say I'm a bit skeptical since I haven't read the book yet. While I'm not sure how cancer patients would feel about the title, I know that it's important for any patient to maintain a positive attitude. If the book can give them some hope, even false hope, then I don't think it's such a bad thing.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

TuyetMai wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 05:06 The title sure grabs my attention, though I must say I'm a bit skeptical since I haven't read the book yet. While I'm not sure how cancer patients would feel about the title, I know that it's important for any patient to maintain a positive attitude. If the book can give them some hope, even false hope, then I don't think it's such a bad thing.
I guess false hope is better than nothing. I must say that this actually got me to think twice about my perspective about the title. Thank you for this helpful insight! :tiphat:
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

I think it was certainly planned to be an attention grabber. "Winning the war on" anything will already catch the attention of Americans who always hear about the war on drugs, the war on terrorism, etc.

As far as sensitivity towards those who have lost loved ones to cancer, I can definitely see how this could rub you the wrong way.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

melissah30 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 05:38 As far as sensitivity towards those who have lost loved ones to cancer, I can definitely see how this could rub you the wrong way.
Thank you for acknowledging my insight on this! :tiphat:
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

I think the author meant to attract readers to his book. There are many people who are suffering or have lost loved ones to cancer, hence the title would catch the attention of many desperate victims and those who are willing to try new methods of fighting cancer.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I appreciate that the title imparts a sense of hope to the reader. We all need hope, whether the diagnosis comes to us personally or to someone we care about. The title makes me want to hear what the author has to say.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”