What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by soccerts »

It does seem to be quite self-congratulatory and market-friendly. I don't think a positive or strong stance is bad, but it's certainly insensitive. Cancer is such a big subject though, that's almost impossible to tackle it "sensitively" just due to the nature of vastly different (and painful) experiences everyone has.

My mother had cancer surgery last Friday and was quite flippant about it, but my father was less appreciative of anyone downplaying it. So when it comes to the "War on Cancer", I think that the ones fighting ought to dictate how it's going. It'll be different for everyone. Unfortunately, this is also a war between clinical and natural medicine, and I think that ought to be less of a war and more of a harmonious toolkit. I know this book advocates that unity, but it is a very tricky subject. I think the title is more marketing ploy than philosophical stance, but there have been lots of interesting points on this thread both ways.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

The title really has me put off, honestly. I'm not a fan of the way it's always described as a 'fight against' cancer. It's about healing, treatment, and in many cases just good timing or luck. For me the title feels like a bit of a scam or bait for people who may feel desperate.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
Would you rather have the title to be " Losing the War on Cancer?"
LOL. Well, I think the title "Winning the War on Cancer" was due to the positive results she got. We just feel that a cure for cancer is too real to be true. As they say, "a trial will convince you."
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

NuelUkah wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:56
briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
LOL. Well, I think the title "Winning the War on Cancer" was due to the positive results she got. We just feel that a cure for cancer is too real to be true. As they say, "a trial will convince you."
I think I actually did say what I want as the title. Not liking "Winning" as the word does not equate that I want it to be "Losing". If you have read the book, or as I have said in my statement above, the results DO NOT guarantee the WINNING part of the title. I would really like you to consider my perspective as a sensitive one since I've lost family members to it. Also, I don't feel that a "cure for cancer is too real to be true". I wouldn't have brought this issue up if the book actually provides a deeper research about their product. If the results were positive, it doesn't necessarily mean it could provide the same effect to all types of cancer. The book lacks that information and sensitivity that people are fighting with different body metabolisms and different types/stages of cancer. Thus, bringing false hope at some point.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

briellejee wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 22:05
NuelUkah wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:56

I think I actually did say what I want as the title. Not liking "Winning" as the word does not equate that I want it to be "Losing". If you have read the book, or as I have said in my statement above, the results DO NOT guarantee the WINNING part of the title. I would really like you to consider my perspective as a sensitive one since I've lost family members to it. Also, I don't feel that a "cure for cancer is too real to be true". I wouldn't have brought this issue up if the book actually provides a deeper research about their product. If the results were positive, it doesn't necessarily mean it could provide the same effect to all types of cancer. The book lacks that information and sensitivity that people are fighting with different body metabolisms and different types/stages of cancer. Thus, bringing false hope at some point.
Oh! I'm sorry if I crossed a line, friend. I apologize. Yes, I also thought about that, 'if Sylvie's method would work for all types of cancer'. Well, I wouldn't call that 'false hope', rather I'd call it a limitation to her findings. Which means deeper research should me carried out. Different types/stages of cancer and body metabolisms are big limitations to this work. Let's hope Sylvie can succeed in surmounting these limitations. It'd be a great breakthrough to the world that all types/stages of cancer now has a natural cure irrespective of body metabolism.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I can say the title is compelling enough to make a reader want to read. Also, the title is full of positivity and hope. I like it
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Beljanski has reached out to the reader and ripped our heartstrings, and we haven't even cracked the spine.
First, we have winning. Who doesn't want to win? It's victorious, brings pleasure, and a sense of pride. Next, we are graced with the word of War. A common word that may even be desensitized to the public. None the less, in envokes visions of violence, good vs evil. Finally the clincher, cancer. Cancer strikes fear into everyone. It reminds people of loved ones, their own battle, or even the possible fear of that occasional guilty pleasure cigarette. It grabs people.

The author has been successful in creating a title that will stick, causing the readers to glance for it more than a couple times. A title that creates intrigue and will force the reader to attach personal emotion to the book without even reading the first page. Whether those emotions are positive or negative, Beljanski has you looking and wondering, "Can the war be won?"
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

Like I’m sure others have mentioned before me, I did feel that the title was a little click-bait-ish. It reminded me of the articles you’ll see about miracle weight loss, but also of self-help book titles.

That said, I’m not sure what would’ve been a more suitable title for the book.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
Dic45ta
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading: Surviving Life As An Actor
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dic45ta.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Dic45ta »

In my opinion, the author chose the best title. It is catchy and optimistic. Honestly, the title was the reason why In read the book. It gave me the idea that there is actually a cure for cancer.
saimi_v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saimi-v.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by saimi_v »

I really believe that a book title need to reflect the essence of the book, so the people who see it had been interesting in reading it. The same occurs with the image on the cover of a book, need to be so interesting that it draws the attention so the people want to buy it.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I lost my

I lost my paternal grandfather and maternal grandmother to cancer. As such, I can't understand how the war against cancer can be won. We can always do what we think is best, but we'll always keep second-guessing ourselves and we'll always end up feeling guilty that somehow whatever we did was not enough and that we could have done more... That is my experience with it. Winning.. against cancer or anything terminal.. I don't know how
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Although the book provides alternatives that may not work, I like the title because the word "winning" gives hope. Conventional cancer treatments aren't transparent and are often set up with profit as the end game.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

I have not read the book. But my very first instinct was this is not a book I want to read. The word Cancer is associated with so many bad things, death, sickness, struggle that leads me to believe that at one point in the book these type of things are going to be discuss. The title "Winning the War on Cancer" implies progress, success or hope. I am not sure talking about alternative medicine fits this description. I have it on my bookshelf maybe I will take a second look at it and read the pages with a more critical eye to see if this is a book I truly want to read.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 02:04 The title gives optimism that the diagnosis is not a verdict. Till there.is hope, anything can be overcome.
Words are powerful, it wouldn't hurt to use them in a positive way if it gets more people in on the action of fighting this disease.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

The title is certainly a little cliche for me. Cancer's one of the big diseases out there that's the cause of many unfortunate stories, but ultimately I don't think that we're close to beating it yet. Sure, we have made numerous advances and cancer survival rates are better than ever before, but to state that we're winning feels like overstating our progress here...

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”