What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by Celticlady »

The title is a positive thing. Not all people win the war on cancer but you still need to stay positive.
wojiaochloe16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wojiaochloe16 »

The premises of “winning the war against cancer” shows promise as a title but generally speaking war as a whole is not something that you can win at. Sure, a group can defeat another or cause surrender but when wars are waged, people die. In the case of Cancer there’s the fact that it impacts so many and there is the enduring the pains and physical demands treatment puts on the body but as a daughter who had a father survive a 4 time recurring and 5 year fight against stage 4 melanoma you never really win. Yeah, you survive but the emotional effects of those who you became friends with in the oncology department all dying while you still remain on medication to remedy the pain and effects of radiation treatment on the body trying to return to a life when you were in that kind of place makes reconnecting to the world difficult because the world moves on. Also there are ways to starve out cancer and stuff like that and prevention methods that are worth pursuing. I know that most people lose loved ones to those fights and it can financially devastate families even if they survive the treatments. If you change the term war to fight or battle it’d make sense and you might get a more interested perception if it wasn’t about “winning” of course I don’t know if this is a biography like book from first hand accounts or a health and treatment for those in the battle or fight as a family or the person fighting who is trying everything to survive the disease. I hope this perspective provides a different insight for you to mull over.
brittanycarr
Currently Reading: I Know My Way Memoir
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by brittanycarr »

Hi Brielle,

I understand where you are coming from when seeing a title like that and you start thinking of your loved one who didn’t “win.” I can see how that would be a turn off. It’s not a game, it’s not a war, it’s a disease that’s killing people and we need our best medical minds to find (or release) a cure immediately! If I had to suggest a change to the title for the author to be sensitive to those who have lost someone to cancer, I would say something like this: Fighting Cancer or Cancer’s Toll.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The title is so impressive that an ordinary person who is not aware of the difficulties of this disease. But may be may be may be may it be happen?
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

I think the title will make you want to read the book as soon as you see it. The word winning is a game changer and will leave you desiring for more.
wordslinger42
Currently Reading: The Lost Road and Other Writings
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordslinger42.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by wordslinger42 »

I have also lost family to cancer, but I like the title. I think that hope is so powerful to hold onto even in what may be an impossible circumstance, so I like the way the title communicates a hope that perseveres no matter what.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

briellejee wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 20:58 I am curious as to what your reaction in seeing the title. As for me, I lost loved ones because of cancer; and seeing the "Winning the War on Cancer" as the title of the book made me not want to read the it since it sounded like it claims that its like a done deal, that we are actually winning it when in truth there is only an alternative that may or may not work.

I appreciate the author's intention of being positive using the word "winning", especially to those who are still battling with it. But for me, who had loved ones that lost to the war, it sounded a bit ridiculous to say "winning". I think it could have been "In Trying to Win the War on Cancer". A little longer but at least a bit practical.

What about your thoughts on the title? Do you think it's fine the way it is? Or do you think it gives a bit of false hope to some, especially in the later stages of cancer?
I agree with you hear. The title could be improved upon, its important to be sensitive to the feelings of your audience, even when selecting a title. Though I can see that the author was aiming to set a positive tone.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

The title of the book is what made me want to read this book in the first place.I love the positive energy that the author brings to this book and therefore the title suits the book.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

The title seems good. I learnt only a few weeks ago, about a young cousin who has renal cancer. She has little children and it is indeed a war against cancer for the sake of her children.
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

I saw it as an exceptionally bold claim, but I can see how it resembled a statement of underlying hope for some.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I saw it as a battle against cancer. We are nowhere near the end, but, there is still hope.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

Cancer is one of the most deadly disease in the world. Personally, I think the title is great. Cancer patients will definitely love to read it just by looking at the title of the book.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I too have lost close loved ones to cancer. When I first saw the title I was hopeful, hopeful that perhaps finally we are making true strides in this arena, strides that I hope will honor the memory of the loved ones who are not here any longer. However, each person who has experienced a loss has their own grief to deal with in his or her own way. I can see and respect that this title could sting. Sometimes if you've been through it, you can't even hear the word cancer without cringing at the devastation it has caused.

To someone else's point, it is also a shame when viable treatment options are discredited due to politics or money. This unfortunately dishonors the people who have lost their lives to this disease and the people currently fighting. I am pleased to see this author is shedding some light on these issues, and I hope good things come from it all the way around.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

I feel sorry for your loss, however I think the title is encouraging and it somehow gives hope to those who are battling with cancer.
mweni254
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mweni254 »

Hi i think the title of the book "WINNING WAR ON CANCER" sounds like a very eye catching title as one cannot just ignore in the event where they had or has a loved one battling cancer. In my opinion i think its extremely appropriate and a motivation to not lose hope to those experiencing the cancer situation.
kind regards.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”