What do you think about the Title?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Re: What do you think about the Title?

Post by maritzaalston »

I have not read the book. But my very first instinct was this is not a book I want to read. The word Cancer is associated with so many bad things, death, sickness, struggle that leads me to believe that at one point in the book these type of things are going to be discuss. The title "Winning the War on Cancer" implies progress, success or hope. I am not sure talking about alternative medicine fits this description. I have it on my bookshelf maybe I will take a second look at it and read the pages with a more critical eye to see if this is a book I truly want to read.
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Your Piece Of The Pie by Dr C S Wilson

Post by KitabuKizuri »

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 02:04 The title gives optimism that the diagnosis is not a verdict. Till there.is hope, anything can be overcome.
Words are powerful, it wouldn't hurt to use them in a positive way if it gets more people in on the action of fighting this disease.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

The title is certainly a little cliche for me. Cancer's one of the big diseases out there that's the cause of many unfortunate stories, but ultimately I don't think that we're close to beating it yet. Sure, we have made numerous advances and cancer survival rates are better than ever before, but to state that we're winning feels like overstating our progress here...
Teddy Jones
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Teddy Jones »

Yes that title has a natural pull factor because so many persons are affected by that disease. It does, however, make me wonder whether the writer didn't stop short of stretching themself a little more so as go give this title am irresitable edge.
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

I think the title is clever. It gets the point across. However, I don't like thinking of cancer as a war. To me, wars are a bloody mess you fight with guns. Cancer is comparable to war. Both take lives, leave families and friends sad, and are just plain horrible. Cancer is something else, though. Maybe I'm the only one who sees it this way.
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Helen91 »

I like the title. It reflect a level of positiveness. This in itself is a crucial stage of healing, of winning. So, I don't agree that the author was giving false hope with the title.
Amieward
Currently Reading:

Post by Amieward »

‘Winning’ is the buzz word of the past few years made famous by Charlie Sheen. Cancer is definitely the most deadly disease of our century. So combining Winning with Cancer are two very eye catching words. We are definitely encouraged by this title to get some good information on the topic of cancer.
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

For me i have lost many people because of cancer so the winning war on cancer is what motivated me to read the book and it is a very good book.
Krys_82
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krys-82.html
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Krys_82 »

I agree with the original poster that the title of the book makes it seem like we're coming to the cure of cancer and it'll forever be gone. We know ultimately that's not the truth of it, and that cancer reoccurrence is unfortunately part of the picture when someone has battled through it. I wish more than anything it was obsolete. great topic to discuss.
Latest Review: Kiran by Ellen Steller
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

The title, I feel, represents hope of winning the war against cancer. It also, creatively, sells the book.
MA
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

melissah30 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 05:38 I think it was certainly planned to be an attention grabber. "Winning the war on" anything will already catch the attention of Americans who always hear about the war on drugs, the war on terrorism, etc.

As far as sensitivity towards those who have lost loved ones to cancer, I can definitely see how this could rub you the wrong way.
It does seem a bit insensitive especially because there are still so many types of cancer that do not have an effective treatment.
Summer_Moon
Currently Reading: The Jurassic Chronicles (Future Chronicles #15)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-moon.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
Reading Device: 1400697565

Post by Summer_Moon »

I think the title is appropriate. It is not meant as an insult and honestly a little surprised that it could be taken that way. It is supposed to show hope that you can win against cancer. Still confused as to how it was taken in any other way
valevsska

Post by valevsska »

Personally, reading the title of this book makes not want to read the content. Why?
Deep down i am afraid of the possibility that one day i will discover i have cancer and would it be possible to fight it. Would i win? Or would i lose? And to me, in a way, the title represents a false hope.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

You are right the title actually seems like giving false hope to people who are battling with cancer.
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I agree that the use of "winning" seems too much like an attention grab for the book over an accurate depiction of this alternative to classic medicine.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”