Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Re: Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

There's definitely corporate greed at work but whether there's a bigger conspiracy involving the government... I don't know, but I doubt it.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 04 May 2019, 11:24 There's definitely corporate greed at work but whether there's a bigger conspiracy involving the government... I don't know, but I doubt it.
Yes, I suppose it all comes down to how you define conspiracy. Big corporations definitely work to further their own interests and they're certainly not above setting out to exclude smaller rivals from the market. They would also employ political lobbyists to try and influence government policy. Perhaps that more a coming together of interests rather than a conspiracy, but it's a close call.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Unfortunately, cancer is a huge business - especially the chemo. When my mother was diagnosed with cancer, nobody even asked if she was willing to go through chemo - they presented it as her only choice.
Essie_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essie-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Essie_Reviews »

It's like this: there are three big industries where if you start up shop in a market that's lacking, even if it's a small market, you will become an instantaneous billionaire. Energy, food, and medicine. These are three things that we constantly need and build the pillars of a society that can now look towards investment. The thing is, both food and energy are industries that are advancing whilst medicine only seems to be doing the bare minimum because unlike the other two industries, we only need medicine when we're sick. We will always need energy and we will always need food, no matter our circumstance. Sad truth, but I don't think these stories are only smoke.
Imagineering.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Well, considering how cures and treatments are bought up and over-priced and the manufacturers are more concerned about profits than helping anyone I'd say there's a lot there to be suspicious of. It's extremely upsetting to see how people are being mistreated by pharmacies and certain offices when trying to get important, sometimes life-saving, prescriptions for their ailments. It's not fair to someone to have to make what they have stretch or risk losing their own life because they can't afford medicine or because it would be too difficult and tedious for them to jump through application hoops in order to receive procedural treatment.

I've actually studied a few different areas of the pharmaceutical industry, and most of what I find turns my stomach. It's disgusting to see how things have gotten so out of control, and how many people are being hurt by those who are supposed to be helping.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

If or not Big Pharma is real or a bunch of conspiracy theories, I cannot really tell. I know that this is a very relatable thing in our society today. I am African and I can attest to the fact that a lot of traditionalists have patented cures for strange and stubborn illnesses but we have been whitewashed to believe that their knowledge and practices are ancient and unfounded. It is true that the pharmaceutical industries and the government, run the health sectors and do the most they can to suffocate the efforts of these people
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

I believe there are aspects to Big Pharma we will never know about-- I do believe there is space for conspiracies.
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

In every story there is a grain of truth. It might be more comfortable to dismiss conspiracy theories as unfounded and ridiculous, but we see proof of human selfishness everyday. There must be some truth to these rumours floating around.
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I believe the struggles she went through are real and the big pharma is true.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

Big Pharma = big business obviously. However, I do believe that modern medicine has provided many useful treatments and should not be disregarded. But just like in most businesses, Big Pharma wants to sell its products and does not care about our individual opinions, feelings and doubts.
Shirley-Tome
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirley-tome.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Shirley-Tome »

Big Pharma is definitely real. The drugs and medicine industry is worth a lot and seeking of treatment by patients is a source of funds, as unethical as it sounds.
Reader-247
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-247.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Reader-247 »

Yes! Big pharma is a conspiracy, it is a business, they want people to be hooked on pills so that they need more pills to reduce the side effects of previous pills! If it is not a business than how are they able to fund doctor field trips and even full election campaigns!
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Effie Cherotich »

I do not understand the mindset of individuals in the pharmaceutical industry as shown in the book. I felt that they valued making profits over their lives. Don't they realize they are not immune to cancer? Remember Monod who had a huge ego about his research that he hated Beljanski for disputing him? Ironically, he died from cancer. That should have been a wake-up call to all the policy makers.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

Am not sure, abd i dont trust Big Pharma.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I do believe that Big Pharma is real. The number of ineffective drugs being produced on a mass scale and sold is startling.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”