What did you think of Ken?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Re: What did you think of Ken?

Post by Zora C Penter »

I almost wonder if Ken didn't cheat on Sylvie based on the interaction at the conference where she met the doctor from CIRIS. It did not seem like the first time that she had seen him chatting up other women.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The book does not major on Ken and it would be unfair to judge him based on Sylvie's opinions of him.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

According to me Ken is a good person. Slyvia's opinion on Ken is totally unacceptable.
---
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Faithmwangi wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 11:20 The book does not major on Ken and it would be unfair to judge him based on Sylvie's opinions of him.
I agree! That is overall biased.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

Although he did help Sylvie Beljanski start the Beljanski foundation, the author describes him as emotionally unavailable. While I do think it was nice of him to travel with her to various events and gatherings, I do not think that he offered the support that Beljanski clearly needed. He was rather annoyed when she woke up in the middle of the night to try and trademark her name, and he wasn’t there for her in the hospital. He failed to see that starting the foundation was her passion.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Sylvie has the right to opinion that ken was being emotionally available . We do not know all the details about their personal life and things like helping her start the foundation do not reflect his emotional availability.
KSaxer
Currently Reading: 24 Hours That Changed The World
Bookshelf Size: 615
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksaxer.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by KSaxer »

From the first interaction shared with us, something about his responses was off. He did help her get started, but he wasn't very encouraging while he did that. I felt she was better off without him. I did wonder why he wasn't at the hospital when she had her hemorrhage event.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html

Post by dreamthewilderness »

We don't get a very cleaf picture of Ken, do we? Afterall, his importance to the book is entirely dependent upon Sylvie's perspective of him. I wouldn't pretend to know anything about the real Ken.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I am not sure I learned enough to judge, and I also feel that Ken was not vital to the book, so I did not think too much about him.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

Some people are able to take supportive actions, but not express themselves well, maybe this is true for Ken. Also, it's possible there's more she didn't tell readers, either to protect his privacy or because it doesn't really relate to the main topic.
Zora C Penter
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html

Post by Zora C Penter »

fictaddict wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 20:57 Some people are able to take supportive actions, but not express themselves well, maybe this is true for Ken. Also, it's possible there's more she didn't tell readers, either to protect his privacy or because it doesn't really relate to the main topic.
I had this impression as well. I think that there was more to the story than was explicitly stated, particularly his actions around other women.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Alicia09 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 18:27 Ken helped Sylvie start her non-profit organization called the "Beljanski Foundation". He also traveled with her to numerous conventions to share her father's research. Yet in Chapter 9, Sylvie described him as "emotionally unavailable" and chose to file for divorce. What was your overall opinion of Ken?
It's not easy having a spouse that travels a lot. Ken tried to be there for her as much as he could. Sylvie to later describe him as being emotionally unavailable is weird. Even at that, it's not enough reason to divorce someone who has helped her achieve so much. Perhaps her work may not be a success by now if not for Ken. So, if he was emotionally unavailable, was divorce the right decision. This part was almost a killjoy. Good thing Sylvie and Ken's marriage wasn't the focus of the book.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I think it is clear Ken and Sylvie have different passions in life and are better off moving on in life without one another.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

Though Ken wasn't a major character I disagree with sylvie his is emotionally available and a great character.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

He did help Sylvie with the organization, so ,yes, he is a good person, but that has nothing to do with their relationship. I will take Sylvie's word for not being emotionally unavailable.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”