Fantasy/Paranormal Discussion

For January 2019, we'll be reading fantasy/paranormal books.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Fantasy/Paranormal Discussion

Post by AnnaKathleen »

Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 14:41
AnnaKathleen wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 13:43
Bianka Walter wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 12:56

I’m so jealous that you have so many still to read.
I’ve actually stayed away from ACOTAR because I found with Throne of Glass, with the year in between, I forgot a lot of stuff that was happening. So I wanna rather binge them all together.
If it’s anything like this series, though, I’m already in love.
I completely understand that! There are similarities here and there, enough that you can tell she was working on both at the same time. Some people I know were frustrated with some of the similar details but, overall, I thought they were both pretty different series. When you have spare time you might want to check it out, but ToG will forever be the best. The only thing I will warm you about it ACOTAR is a little more new adult than young adult so there are some intimacy scenes - I don't know if you mind that sort of thing.
Wait. You still have the rest of ToG to get through :) It gets super steamy.
Well, I guess I have even more to be excited for lol. Thank you for the heads up :)
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Tessa Morgan wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 06:52
Gravy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 02:44
Tessa Morgan wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 01:50

After seeing how exited you are over these books I am going to give them a go! I have been looking for a new book series to sink my teeth into, I have not been able to find one that I like yet. I will let you know what I think :-)
Awesome! :D
I'm glad my obsession is appreciated. :lol: :)

Just in case it's helpful...

There are currently 13 books (I just finished the latest one), so it's a good amount already available.
starts the series, and you can find the series order on the Bookshelves . (I just made sure that it is in the correct order.) :tiphat:
Ha! Awesome, I love long book series, especially if they are good. I bought the first one already can't wait to start reading :)

PS. Your obsession is appreciated by a fellow obsessive soul when it comes to books 8)
Good to hear. :lol:
I'd love to know if you enjoy them :D

And just to correct my little error, there are currently 12. Number 13 will be out in September. :tiphat:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 19:18
Gravy wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:47 Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

Very enjoyable. Full stars.

Literally anyone who thinks any of that sounds interesting. :lol:

I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
These all sound awesome! Thanks for sharing :tiphat:

So, would you recommend the October Daye series?
I forgot to clarify that, didn't I?

Anyway, YES! I can't recommend it enough. Urban fantasy fans? Yes. People who've enjoyed her other books? Yes! And anyone who enjoys faeries? Yes, yes, yes. :D
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I am still planning to read that book about shapeshifters going into an academy of their own! I like it when I read the sample because the characters are still young and still don't have a grasp of who or what they really capable of. I like how this paranormal/fantasy book feature shapeshifters and not vampires, and that it's more than a romance between these creatures.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
msbeautfl09
Currently Reading: Music Man
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by msbeautfl09 »

I don't normally choose fantasy/paranormal, but i'm open to reading one
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 14 Jan 2019, 02:52
hsimone wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 19:18
Gravy wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 20:47 Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

So...elements include fae, fae, and more fae. Including Tybalt, a King of Cats, who I can't easily describe without spoiling earlier books. But he is awesome.
Also, a little rose goblin (literally a living rose bush in the basic shape of a cat) named Spike.
Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a lot) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.
And The Sea Witch, mustn't forget The Sea Witch, The Luidaeg. No words for how much I love The Luidaeg.

I seriously don't know how Seanan McGuire does it. So many books a year, and all of them worth reading...
Toby is my favorite though, even above the Wayward Children, Toby and Tybalt and The Luidaeg and just.....yep. I think I have a Toby addiction. :shock:
These all sound awesome! Thanks for sharing :tiphat:

So, would you recommend the October Daye series?
I forgot to clarify that, didn't I?

Anyway, YES! I can't recommend it enough. Urban fantasy fans? Yes. People who've enjoyed her other books? Yes! And anyone who enjoys faeries? Yes, yes, yes. :D
Cool! I've added it to be TBR list! Sounds like a great series. :)
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Gnome
Currently Reading: Fly: Goose Girl Retold (Romance a Medieval Fairytale, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 297
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnome.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler
Reading Device: B00OSKREVG

Post by Gnome »

I just finished “The Enchanted Forest Chronicles” by Patricia C. Wrede. A 4 book series I found when I was 10 and have read it almost yearly since then (the completely trashed books I’ve been holding onto since 2000 or so). It was one of the first series I read that takes the traditional fairy tale and givens it a different spin. I can definitely say it’s a series that has influenced my life both with the idea of feminist retellings and generally adapting the tales for modern readers (like Herman, the dwarf that spins gold from straw. He cannot spin for himself or anyone in his care but has no other way to make a living.)

I’m currently trying to get into Neil Gaiman’s “Stardust” but am having issues with the font. I loved the movie but I know they left out a ton due to the constraints of the media
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If anyone is looking for a good fantasy paranormal book recommendation, I would say to try the House of Night series by PC Cast and Kristin Cast. It's fabulous. On a similar line, I just started the Academy of Ancients series. It's free on Kindle Unlimited, and it's similar to the House of Night series. It's by Avery Cross. A new magic user has just come into her powers; she didn't even know she had magic, nor that the world existed. She's got some tough fights ahead of her, though, and she also falls in love. I give it a 4 stars. Fabulous.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

[quote=Gravy post_id=1087144 time=1547171258 user_id=60847]
Well, I read the newest October Daye book and had a little meltdown over a huge revelation... :lol:

Also, also, all kinds of magic and kidnapping and blood (Toby bleeds a [i]lot[/i]) and fun hunts for rogue fae creatures with a giant bridge troll taxi driver.

[/quote]

This sounds like an amazing book! I'll have to add it to my list. Fantasy has such a propensity for creative creatures, and it always great when someone goes so effectively!

Return to “January 2019 Genre Discussion”