Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 03:05 I don't think humor was one of the major themes, but just an aspect of the book - and a good one at that. Jacko's character was superbly done to ease and lighten the major theme of the book which is war. And as for my favorite line of his, I don't think I have one that really got me cackling. I just like his humorous tone, especially when talking to Jamie.
I agree. I didn't see it as a major theme, more like a tool to make the major theme, war, more believeable. It seems odd to us now, but people didn't all of a sudden lose their sense of humour because of war.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:01 I have to agree with those who point out that humor was not a major/main theme in the book. It was more of a cherry on top. :wink2:

A little correction: the statement you mention was actually made by Jamie, not Jacko. Nonetheless, Jacko was definitely the comic relief in the book. One instance that comes to mind is after he teaches Jamie to hoot. Jamie hoots so well an owl in the distance answers him. Jacko then says, “See, Cap? You’ve got it. You’ve even attracted a sexy young lady owl who-oo is desperate to meet you.”
You just gotta love Jacko. :lol2:
I was going to mention exactly that moment! It was so funny, and they even returned to the owl jokes later on in the book.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Although I haven't read the book, I have been intrigued by many reviews and I would just like to say I am really pleased that the author was able to incorporate humor into such a story. I actually can't wait to read it.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

Oh, I agree!

Personally, my favorite kind of story to read is one in which (not to be over the top or too dramatic) the darkness and lightness of being are mixed together, and there is humor (I do dearly love to laugh ;) ). Even from the opening- you had the bullets, and the dirt/grime, the *insects.* And then in comes Jacko, and I'm laughing at the same time my blood is pumping. It was such a great beginning to a book in a genre that can sometimes be a tough sell to me, and it set the tone for the rest of the book incredibly well. This was one of my favorite things about the book!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I'm glad that although this book is about World War II, the author included comic relief and some sense of humor in its characters.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

KristyKhem wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:20 I don't think humor was a main theme in the book. War was the main theme, but I think humor was exclusive to Jacko's character. This definitely made him more interesting to read about!
Agreed! I think what made people think that humor was a major theme was because most of the readers are drawn to Jacko's wit and humor. We all liked him and that made him the center of the book, somehow.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

The book is centralised on espionage and war; such serious topics. So when the author throws in a statement or two that are humourous it's definitely a welcomed break.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I haven't read this book yet, but I did review Skills of the Warramunga and found Jacko to be the funniest character in it, too.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I am always attracted to someone with a great sense of humor and was immediately drawn to Jacko as a result. Any book that has humor written into it, will usually capture my attention and hold it. I love a serious book that can also make me smile or even laugh out loud.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Am glad to hear that the book has some sense of humor for it's my next read book. Can't wait to the read the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 1018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Dark and Lonely Road by Sean Gates

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Indeed, Jacko was funny. From the very first chapter, he displayed his humorous side. Even, in the midst of battle he made hilarious comments.
lotus784
Currently Reading: The Replacement
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotus784.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by lotus784 »

I also agree that while this certainly wasn't a comedy it did have very well done comedic vibes. I don't imagine anyone will be choosing anyone other than Jacko as their favorite "comedian" of the book.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

lotus784 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 22:13 I don't imagine anyone will be choosing anyone other than Jacko as their favorite "comedian" of the book.
His character is everyone's favorite, and he's everyone's pick as that one character who made them stay to read the book. :lol:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Itskai88 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 16:44 Although I haven't read the book, I have been intrigued by many reviews and I would just like to say I am really pleased that the author was able to incorporate humor into such a story. I actually can't wait to read it.
Such a story of twist and thrills. Get ready to devour the character's emotions.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

lotus784 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 22:13 I also agree that while this certainly wasn't a comedy it did have very well done comedic vibes. I don't imagine anyone will be choosing anyone other than Jacko as their favorite "comedian" of the book.
Yup, I can't forget the owl hoot comedy were Jacko said, you have a girl friend up there cap. Hahahaha

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”