Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by Prisallen »

I have not read this book yet. I wanted to see how others felt about it, and it sounds like it has a lot going for it. I will have to add it to my list of books to read.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Historical fiction has always been a favourite genre of mine, so getting into this book wasn't difficult. Though, to me the story really only started when James met Jack and the while atmosphere really took on a sort of lightness, giving the story an overall better mood than the war that rages around them. And things don't just stop there. The characters really drove this story, but their character development and humorous interchanges really kept me hooked all the way through.
For a war story, this one definitely impressed me and I can easily say that I'd recommend it to any adult reader. 4/4 for this one.
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

I think i would give it a 3/4, there were times when the language got a little esoteric for me, but I think that Kater was executing a very specific vision.
I would definitely encourage some of my friends to read it because it is well written and I have friends who like war novels quite a bit.
I liked the way the plot sort of weaves in and out of conflict, and often focuses on the small moments.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

The Warramunga's War is a great historical war fiction mixed with little romance in it. The book is well written with a great plot and so I give it 4 out of 4 stars.
Look where you want to go in life, not at where you don’t want to go.
Rob White
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I first read the sample and I thought that it was such a tedious book but later after getting the whole book my perspective changed, the book really is captivating and the characters are well polished well deserves a 4 out 4 rating
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

Hannahberry wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 17:19
Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:22 I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Krater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
:tiphat:
Fans of historical fiction should definitely check it out.
I've been considering reading this book after seeing it on her as BOTM! But I'm going to bump it up on my priority list now because your mini review makes it sound really cool. Shame that it drags at the end but I'll definitely give it a try! Thanks for sharing.
Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres so I'm reading this book, is definitely jumping up in my TBR list.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

At first,the book wasn't really atention-capturing. I started enjoying the book when James met Jack;the humorous conversation between the duo, despite the fact that the book revolve around war, is so interesting. The author perfected the art of using multiple literary skills that would appeal to anyone who enjoys quality literature. I'll give it 3 out of 4 stars
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

The story was great. It didn't have a compelling narrative style according to me but a good read nonetheless. I liked Jacko the most in the book . He was a complete meal. He was fun-loving, witty, intelligent, vigorous and terrific at what he did. His parts were fun to read. I totally recommend this book to everyone who loves reading historical fiction.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Warramunga's War is not another book about WWII. The book is great, it has everything from espionage to humor, romance, war and much more. The author does know what he is talking about. The characters are real and the historic events are also incredibly real. I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars. Best book i've read here so far.
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I loved this book so much, I bought the other two books in the series. I am always amazed by an authors ability to create so many different personalities. Greg Kater is a genius at this. There were so many secondary characters that had their own distinct personalities. I gave the Warramungus War, 4 Stars. This is historical fiction at its best and I can only imagine the Warramunga Aftermath of War and Skills of the Warramungu, will be just as great.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

This book was a well-written page-turner for a historical fiction novel. The way the author weaved humour and with into the story was undoubtedly refreshing.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

The only major flaw IMHO is that all baddies look like moronic guys. Villains are important in any book.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I really enjoyed this book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars in my review. It was well written and well edited and it had a lovely down-to-earth style of writing, with a great underlying sense of humour all the way through. I particularly enjoyed the "Australianisms" used by Jacko, which often had me chuckling and even laughing out loud, even in the middle of some tense scenes! I would recommend this to a wide range of readers - those who love historical fiction, and even those who just enjoy a good story.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

It is not everyday we find a story about war mixed with humor. Let's admit it, stories on war are boring and tedious to read. However, this is is a perfect book to readas it is not the usual kind of war stories that lulls you to sleep.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

I absolutely love this book and I gave it the perfect score 4 out of 4, Did I say I love this book? The only thing I love more than this book, at the moment; is booked two in the series. I love when Jacko and Jamie meet for the first time and I love how irritated Jamie got a Jacko calling him. My favorite thing about this book is that although, there are many races, religions and ethnicities represented in the book . Yet, everyone is treated with the amount of respect they deserve. I had no least favorite part and I would recommend this book to anyone who likes movies like pearl harbor or those who like war/spy movies or books in general. :tiphat:

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”