Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the February 2019 Book of the Month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Krater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
:tiphat:
Fans of historical fiction should definitely check it out.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I am such a fan of historical fiction, though some books need to work on their narrative to be able to capture a whole lot of audience; and this one was a perfect one. I really liked the humorous dialogues between Jack and James. At first, when I read the sample, I must say that I would've dropped it since I find it tedious to read through all the gun firing, but then when James met Jack, the atmosphere seemed to be a little lighter and the mood of the book was lifted. Overall though, the setting was interesting and superb. The facts about the military soldiers during and after the war were well-researched and a bit enjoyable to know and learn. The characters are the real hero here though, so it's a 4/4 for me. :tiphat: Would recommend to people who like to learn and read more about war and soldiers, especially ones who like a lot of action scenes in the book. However, I might also recommend it to everyone because the book is just excellent for any reader. It is an all-around book for adults! :techie-studyinggray:
Last edited by briellejee on 01 Feb 2019, 02:14, edited 1 time in total.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

As a true and ardent fan of historical fiction, this book is one of the best out there. My rating is 4 out of 4 stars. I heartily recommend it to others. What I loved most was character development. There is nothing I did not like in this book. It is worth being read by everyone.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

briellejee wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 02:12 I am such a fan of historical fiction, though some books need to work on their narrative to be able to capture a whole lot of audience; and this one was a perfect one. I really liked the humorous dialogues between Jack and James. At first, when I read the sample, I must say that I would've dropped it since I find it tedious to read through all the gun firing, but then when James met Jack, the atmosphere seemed to be a little lighter and the mood of the book was lifted. Overall though, the setting was interesting and superb. The facts about the military soldiers during and after the war were well-researched and a bit enjoyable to know and learn. The characters are the real hero here though, so it's a 4/4 for me. :tiphat: Would recommend to people who like to learn and read more about war and soldiers, especially ones who like a lot of action scenes in the book. However, I might also recommend it to everyone because the book is just excellent for any reader. It is an all-around book for adults! :techie-studyinggray:
This is true. At least I can see that we have the same opinion on character development.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Kibetious wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 02:15
briellejee wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 02:12 I am such a fan of historical fiction, though some books need to work on their narrative to be able to capture a whole lot of audience; and this one was a perfect one. I really liked the humorous dialogues between Jack and James. At first, when I read the sample, I must say that I would've dropped it since I find it tedious to read through all the gun firing, but then when James met Jack, the atmosphere seemed to be a little lighter and the mood of the book was lifted. Overall though, the setting was interesting and superb. The facts about the military soldiers during and after the war were well-researched and a bit enjoyable to know and learn. The characters are the real hero here though, so it's a 4/4 for me. :tiphat: Would recommend to people who like to learn and read more about war and soldiers, especially ones who like a lot of action scenes in the book. However, I might also recommend it to everyone because the book is just excellent for any reader. It is an all-around book for adults! :techie-studyinggray:
This is true. At least I can see that we have the same opinion on character development.
It's one of the things that I look for in the book. I just can't like a book without an interesting and growing character, to be honest. :)
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:22 I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Krater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
I think amongst the parts I enjoyed in this book was the visit to the pyramids. What transpired there and the events that followed including the relationship was something I never saw coming.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Ever_Reading wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 01:22 I read this book a while ago and absolutely loved it. It's well written and keeps one entertained from the first page until the last. I enjoyed the comedic approach the author took even though the book revolves around war. Krater has a way of pulling at your heart while at the same time consoling you with laughter. My only issue with the book is that it drags a little towards the end. Nonetheless, it's deserving of a 4/4 rating.
Historical fiction seasoned with humor and wit; can it get any better? I will add this book to my TBR list. Thanks for the eye-opening comment!
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

I've always enjoyed war movies but this is the first time that I actually read a book about it so I wasn't sure how it would translate. Going in to the story I knew it wasn't about the exchanging of bullets in a battlefield, but rather about the other strategies involved to win a war. That, I think, is what I like most about the book. It kept me interested and invested in the plot and the characters therefore I gave it 4 out of 4. I also like that I was introduced to a culture that I haven't heard before, and that it emphasized their skills. I would definitely recommend it to others who like war/ historical fiction stories.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

I enjoyed reading it because it refreshed my memory on history. I like different tactics of spying the enemies; it makes me atentive on reading more. 4 stars for Greg. I love sharing those scenes with my friends.

Raiding the oppenents' den somewhat intense and exciting. So far, I'm satisfied with the results.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I've read some of it and I am interested in reading the rest. Historical fiction isn't my forte but the inclusion of humor and the countless positive reviews balances that out. It also helps that the author responded to my comment a few months back when it was BotD. I love interacting with authors!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I enjoyed reading Greg Kater's entire series and i loved the characters in the book and their individual talents that somehow woke together perfectly. There is nothing i truly disliked in this book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
En1608
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-en1608.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by En1608 »

You sound like you were pretty enthusiastic about this book. I also love historical fiction, there is so much creativity that can be found in writing a story from a totally different era and location. I also have a lot of respect for the authors, given the heavy amount of research they usually have to do for books of this genre. Anyways, this description makes me a lot more inspired to give this book a try!
Olaoluwa_oso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olaoluwa-oso.html
Latest Review: The Misadventures Of Jimmy Crookshank by D.R. Blair

Post by Olaoluwa_oso »

I do not like books on war. But this much adds so much to it, it gets interesting. I know spies do not get attached most times especially during assignments, but this book has a romantic touch to it. I also loved the methods of spying. Although the book slows towards the ending, anyone that gets to read this book would love it. Mostly fans of historical fiction would enjoy this one. The book deserves the 4 of 4 stars it was rated.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:15 I enjoyed reading Greg Kater's entire series and i loved the characters in the book and their individual talents that somehow woke together perfectly. There is nothing i truly disliked in this book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Why give it a 3 stars though? Was it because of the somewhat draggy ending? :)

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”