Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by nbel »

This was the first time I read a book about war. At first, I wasn’t sure if I will enjoy the novel or not, but I absolutely loved it. I was very invested and interested in the story and the characters. I think this book is definitely worth a 4 out of 4 rating.
Townsend2316
Currently Reading: The Devil's Bones
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-townsend2316.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by Townsend2316 »

I enjoyed it because it was set in the Middle East during the war and that isn't written about very much in my experience. My favorite character is Jacko because he's unique and his humor is subtle and endearing. The only aspect I didn't like was how overly detailed the journey to capture the Nazi war criminals was. It just didn't seem necessary to write about every little town they stopped in. I think it was done to emphasize the lengths they went through to capture them but in turn it caused the towns and its people to blur together. I gave it 4 stars and continue to recommend it because its subject matter is well executed and it really is interesting.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I don't generally like war stories. This book kept the war in the background, and the story took the main stage. I loved it. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars, and I highly recommend it to anyone. The variety and interaction of the characters were good, the storyline was great, and it moved along without any dull spots. The only thing I didn't like was lack of depth in some of the characters. I loved the historical detail that the Australians were at that time still using the Imperial system and not yet using metric.
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I loved the book by Greg later, the way the narration enables one to form a vivid picture plus the comedy infused in the book, makes the book a worthy read.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Haven't read it yet but i would love to read and review it.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

This is a remarkable book. I was tempted to read it due to the nice official review I saw and I'm not even regretting it. The book is really a page turner as it keeps you addicted through out all the chapters. The character organizations was likewise brilliant.
Shruti Banik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shruti-banik.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Shruti Banik »

I love the context of the book and am looking forward to reading it. :D
sylviab98
Favorite Book: Storm and Silence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylviab98.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by sylviab98 »

I can agree with everything that has been said already. I really enjoyed the book, especially the characters and their friendship ! The mission in the first novel was very thrilling, and I absolutely loved that the two main characters were both equally important for the mission. I gave the novel 3 out of 4 stars, I had to "withdraw" 1 star because I was disappointed by the "open" ending, leaving me no choice but to read the second novel and because the " war fiction" is not really my genre. But I have to emphasize that the author did a great job in portraying the characters and the whole storyline in itself.
Check out my review and tell me if you enjoyed the novel as much as I did or if you had other thoughts about it. :)
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

As a bit of a war-buff, this book speaks to me. Sure, it lags in places, but it's satisfying overall.
Historical Fiction readers will dig it, as will anyone with a penchant for war stories told with a human voice.
Great read.
onemorechap
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 310
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onemorechap.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B014GCG150

Post by onemorechap »

I added the book in my tbr and From what I see I am going to like it a lot! :shock:
sylviab98
Favorite Book: Storm and Silence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylviab98.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by sylviab98 »

I loved the book ! It was very well written and it captured my heart. For more details, check out my review about it :)
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I would give it a 3 out of 4 for a rating. The deduction, really is because it got a bit long for me. I felt like the book was starting to drag along even while they were still in Cairo. I liked the relationship between Jacko and Monique that was formed, and Fifi’s little upsets about not being involved more in bigger spying missions was funny.

I didn’t care for the serial killer spoiler nor one of the more graphic scenes of that. I really would only recommend this book to those are okay with a novel about war that is pretty drawn out. I could tell I was losing interest when I began to check the percentage of pages read on my kindle and saw it was only about a quarter. It just seemed like too much was crammed into the book for my taste. Yet, it was well written, so I have to give the author credit for that.
Everything happens for a reason...
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I enjoyed the book, and really thought the characters were interesting. I definitely thought it was a shame that we didn't get to read about the girls from the first half as much, nor did we get any real insight on what Monique's life was like after the boys left. I also felt some of the book was a bit too exposition-heavy, which was a shame because otherwise it was really exciting and fun to read.
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

Personally I am not a big fan of war related novels, however, after reading a few sample pages and the rave reviews this book received, I feel like I need to dive deeper into this book and approach it with a more open minded stance. I will be adding this to my reading list 📚
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Judging from everyone else opinion, I think this is a book worth reading. History is never boring to me.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”