Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by srividyag1 »

Olaoluwa_oso wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 16:00 I do not like books on war. But this much adds so much to it, it gets interesting. I know spies do not get attached most times especially during assignments, but this book has a romantic touch to it. I also loved the methods of spying. Although the book slows towards the ending, anyone that gets to read this book would love it. Mostly fans of historical fiction would enjoy this one. The book deserves the 4 of 4 stars it was rated.
I don't like books on war either, but I'm intrigued after reading the reviews and the profusion of positive comments in this forum.. From this, I gather that there's good spy story with a touch of romance and humour thrown in . It makes me want to try this book. Adding it to my "Intrigued, hence to be read" pile :D
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

Have not read the book yet, came here first to see what everyone has to say about it... definitely looks to be a worthy read!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

To be honest, historical fiction is not really a genre I would prefer to read. However, the amazing reviews about this book encourgaed me to give it a shot :)
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

This book is full of wit in its plot line. I liked how the author was able to develop the characters of Jamie and Jacko. Right from the front line to the home front. The special place of indigenous culture in the book is also something unique about it.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

This book has been well-researched. It also has well fleshed out characters. I like it overall, but there were parts of the book that were a bit monotonous. Also, I felt that the first part of the book was more exciting than the latter part.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

I liked this book and found it well written. I did find some parts of the book rather slow since if felt like characters were just sitting around talking about things that didn't matter much to the plot. My biggest issue with the book was how clunky the rather shocking rape scene was handled. That very much didn't sit well with me.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I loved reading the entire series. The characters are very well developed, the action scenes are also enjoyable and not gross. The humor added makes the book very lively. The diversity of cultures, people, landforms etc brought in added to the reading experience. I will rate the book 4 out of 4 stars
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

Definitely a book worth reading. The story line was interesting, varied and intriguing. Not usually a reader of historical war novels, I was very pleased with this book. At times, the story did have a slower pace but overall a great read. A 4 out of 4 stars.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I rated The Warramunga’s War by Greg Kater 3 out of 4 stars. I found it to be well written and edited, but I took a star away because I found the story too miscellaneous and slightly confusing. The setting is interesting and well described and the attention to historical detail and nuance is remarkable – a noteworthy positive point. On the other hand, in my opinion, the narrative is a little fractured and lacks a sense of wholeness – a noteworthy negative point.
frowngoclownfish
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Favorite Book: Speaker for the Dead
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frowngoclownfish.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by frowngoclownfish »

The writing of the book is great. It made the book enjoyable since I don't really like historical fiction. My best friend really likes the genre, so I sent it over to him. Hopefully, he likes it.
"I lived in books more than I lived anywhere else."
― Neil Gaiman, The Ocean at The End of the Lane
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I am a huge fan of historical fiction. Add comedy to the mix, and you have me weak in my knees. I will, absolutely, have to read this book.
MA
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I've read so many reviews about this book, and so far, it seems like an interesting historical fiction. When I read it, I'll know if to fully recommend it personally but based on reviews, I'll recommend it to historical fiction lovers
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Wamakima »

The book became a favorite really quick. I enjoy historical fiction books. I really loved the introduction of Sarah, Jacko's half sister. She was portrayed to be faster and more alert than the guys, and when she finally manage to save her friends lives, my heart melted with joy. I disliked how some scenes seemed stretched as it became monotonous at the middle and towards the end. I gave it a 4 out 4 stars in my latest review because it was a really good read.
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Based on the review that I have seen of the book, it sure sounds like a pretty good read. The author clearly put in quite an effort to make the book great. Not big on war stories, but I can tell that this would be an exception.
Summer_Moon
Currently Reading: The Jurassic Chronicles (Future Chronicles #15)
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-moon.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin
Reading Device: 1400697565

Post by Summer_Moon »

I have never really read much historical fiction, but have been trying to branch out. Based on what I have read this seems to be a pretty good book for the genre.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”