Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by Charlie19 »

i have read the book and i liked that the author combined meaningfully history with fiction.. there were very great lessons i have learned from the book, one of which is to have a reliable friend in times of difficulties..
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I enjoy reading war stories and also espionage. I found it refreshing that in spite of the theme, the author did not make it a really thriller suspense kind. I mean its such a light read. Although in the last part I found it dragged a little.
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

This was the first book I reviewed on this site. I was most enthralled by the settings Kater created. The characters, storyline, the pace of the story are very enjoyable in the first half of the story, but the second was a drag. I could also not relate to the dialogue writing. It was very wooden. But the book was good enough that I read the second part in the series, The Warramunga's Aftermath of War. This was so much of an improvement over the first and I'd definitely read the third instalment the moment I get my hands on it!
I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

ma_mon28 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 04:33 I enjoyed reading it because it refreshed my memory on history. I like different tactics of spying the enemies; it makes me atentive on reading more. 4 stars for Greg. I love sharing those scenes with my friends.

Raiding the oppenents' den somewhat intense and exciting. So far, I'm satisfied with the results.
just the same. I am actually astonished I enjoyed this genre when I am not a fan of historical fiction etc.
Emmerdale
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmerdale.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Emmerdale »

The novel based on the friendship that developed between Jamie and Jack during the Syrian campaign against the Vichy french in world war2, the warramuga's war is the story of two unlikely soldiers who are together because of circumstances and they end up facing unpredicted challenges in the fight against their enemies,jacko had a good humanity and was also brave ,same thing applied to Jamie who is heroic and really liked how they friendship was growing strong .Greg kater really did a great job putting two stories together.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I loved the humour and historical fiction is one of my favorite type of story. I wish the ending was quicker.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

I had a chance to review the Warramunga`s aftermath of war by Greg Kater and I found the story not only thrilling but also captivating.The author not only adds twists and turns but also makes sure that the character`s development in terms of morphology and traits is greatly considered and found out that his favorite is Jacko.I enjoyed reading the tale from beginning to end.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I loved the humourous banter between Jacko and Jamie. Even further, the historical fiction genre is really hard to mess up. It seems Kater did his research as well, introducing readers to new terms and the espionage theme was exciting too. The book was seemingly absent of errors and the descriptions and settings were well thought out and vivid.
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

I find it a bit long and sometimes dragging. It was like cramming 3 plots in one novel. It would have been better if the author separated the story on the war, the kidnappings at the mountains, and the story on the warramunga people.
acopj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by acopj »

Honestly, i had to do a lot of google searches tp understand the full events of this book becuase it is based on history however, the story is quite interesting though especially when I found out that strangers helped out each other during tough times, it really made my emotions sink. Nice book over all.
Mikail Nurur-Rahman1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahman1.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Mikail Nurur-Rahman1 »

"The Warramunga's War" is a historical fiction novel set in the early 1940s during World War II. It follows the story of two Australian soldiers, Jamie Munro and Jack "Jacko" O'Brien, who are sent to the Middle East as part of the Australian Army. The two soldiers develop a close friendship and use their intelligence skills to gather crucial information for the Allied forces.

The book has received generally positive reviews for its historical accuracy, attention to detail, and well-developed characters. The author's writing style has been praised for its ability to transport readers to the setting of the novel and make them feel as if they are part of the story.

However, some readers have noted that the book can be slow-paced at times, particularly in the beginning as the characters are introduced and the setting is established. Additionally, some readers may find certain aspects of the book, such as the use of racial slurs, to be offensive or uncomfortable.

Overall, "The Warramunga's War" is a well-researched and engaging historical fiction novel that provides insight into the experiences of Australian soldiers during World War II. It may be a good recommendation for readers who enjoy historical fiction and have an interest in World War II history.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Historical war fiction, spiced up with humour...I loved it.
I got literally glued to the book. I rate it 4 out of 4.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”