The best spy

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Re: The best spy

Post by yeancha »

I haven't read the book, but from the comments, it sounds like a really great book
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I've seen a lot of people say Sarah and Jack, so I'm gonna point to the girls in Cairo as well, particularly Fifi and Yvette. They were able to evade detection up to the end of the MI6 mission, and Yvette was vital in getting them the information from the second team of Germans when all seemed lost.

I think best is subjective here, because everyone has the thing they're good at, and you have to define what you mean by spy a bit, in this case. As trackers, Jack and Sarah are definitely the best, but I think the best undercover skills we saw came from the aforementioned Fifi and Yvette.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I too think Jacko is the best spy. He just knows how to blend. He can feel it when they are being followed. But we can't forget all the ladies in this book, who were very skilled in collecting data against the enemies.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 03:13
Vscholz wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:13
briellejee wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 08:53 Same here! Jacko is very efficient and resourceful. And he's also that one spy that you can't imagine to be one; he can blend in easily.
People are more open when those around them appear aloof or harmless. The amount of information gained from simply being bland more than makes up for the lack of physical allure. That isnt to say that attractive people can't use other techniques to blend in. (I also think we tend to trust attractive people more, so double bonus.)
Yes! I think this is because people were made to believe that the cleaner looking the better - which should be eradicated in our human nature because it simply is judgmental and derogatory. Smooth-talkers are the best spies though. They can get out in any situation and play the master puppeteer to those around them. :D
Well, I agree that the best spies need not be clean-looking :D But, I don't think any of us can imagine a dirty-looking James Bond :D Also, I agree that spies need to be smooth talkers. But, if someone is a real smooth talker, won't he/she attract more attention? I think being the best spy is a clever blend of being good-looking and suave without being overly intimidating or conspicuous.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

srividyag1 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 13:07
Vscholz wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:13

People are more open when those around them appear aloof or harmless. The amount of information gained from simply being bland more than makes up for the lack of physical allure. That isnt to say that attractive people can't use other techniques to blend in. (I also think we tend to trust attractive people more, so double bonus.)
Yes! I think this is because people were made to believe that the cleaner looking the better - which should be eradicated in our human nature because it simply is judgmental and derogatory. Smooth-talkers are the best spies though. They can get out in any situation and play the master puppeteer to those around them. :D
Well, I agree that the best spies need not be clean-looking :D But, I don't think any of us can imagine a dirty-looking James Bond :D Also, I agree that spies need to be smooth talkers. But, if someone is a real smooth talker, won't he/she attract more attention? I think being the best spy is a clever blend of being good-looking and suave without being overly intimidating or conspicuous.
Adding to this, in addition to being suave, I think they should be "fast talking" as well. Not necessarily smooth like the above statements, but quick on their feet just in case they get caught.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

As per me Jacko is the best spy because he uses simple techniques but so useful.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

Nisha Ward wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 13:18
srividyag1 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 13:07

Adding to this, in addition to being suave, I think they should be "fast talking" as well. Not necessarily smooth like the above statements, but quick on their feet just in case they get caught.
Yeah, true. they should be able to think and act quickly. And their strategic thinking and reflexes must be excellent... :)
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

Jacko is the best spy, he has so much technique and is efficient. Plus I just really enjoyed reading his narrative, I am biased :)
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Jacko and Yvette are the evident winners. They both provided great insight and really had an interesting and intriguing plot line to devour
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Probably Fifi. I can only imagine the courage required to be a jewish female spy during the WWII.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

ma_mon28 wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 04:45 My bet is Sarah. I can't imagine how she cripts inside the cave taking the two ladies out from the hands of the kidnappers.Her sense of sight and smelling is pretty amazing, too.
I agree with this. Even Jacko admits several times that Sarah is better than him when it comes to creeping around and tracking trails, etc. I seriously enjoy Jack's skills, too, but I'm gonna have to go with Sarah as well.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

I would also agree that Jacko is the best spy because of his sharply trained skills, his razor sharp senses, his intelligence, and his ability to survive in any situation. He comes through the same way in the second book as well. There is nothing he can't do, or train himself to do in a very short time. Quite the Aborigine Bond, I must say, and someone 007 could learn a thing or two from. :D
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:26 My honest bet is on Jacko O'Brien. He blends quit easily and has the razor sharp wit of a spy to boot.
agreed! He is very smart and has very sharp senses.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

I agree wholeheartedly. Jacko is so versatile, from the advantage of his roots, to his easygoing character which makes it possible for him to blend in with his surroundings and his techniques and utter mastery when it comes on to espionage. I like Jamie but Jack is by far my favourite.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”