Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Re: Humor as a major theme? Jacko as a comedian?

Post by Radiant3 »

briellejee wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 03:11
Radiant3 wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 11:02 I don't think humor was a major theme but it was present several times throughout the story. It was more of a dry witty humor. Times like when Jacko and the female spies like Fifi met to discuss their plans. The humor during their meetings kept the conversations lively and interesting. Jacko also had a great sense of humor, perhaps to lighten the seriousness of what was really happening.
Speaking of which, I like it when Jacko wasn't the only one with witty humor. Some of the female spies have them too, making it not only a sole personality of Jacko. Also, it was indeed fun when some of them can counter Jacko's humor with another one. :techie-studyingbrown:
I'm sure Jacko and the guys enjoyed the conversations with the girls during the meetings. The banter among them was great.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Radiant3 wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 16:11
briellejee wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 03:11
Radiant3 wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 11:02 I don't think humor was a major theme but it was present several times throughout the story. It was more of a dry witty humor. Times like when Jacko and the female spies like Fifi met to discuss their plans. The humor during their meetings kept the conversations lively and interesting. Jacko also had a great sense of humor, perhaps to lighten the seriousness of what was really happening.
Speaking of which, I like it when Jacko wasn't the only one with witty humor. Some of the female spies have them too, making it not only a sole personality of Jacko. Also, it was indeed fun when some of them can counter Jacko's humor with another one. :techie-studyingbrown:
I'm sure Jacko and the guys enjoyed the conversations with the girls during the meetings. The banter among them was great.
Theu sure did. As a reader, I liked how that part was well-executed. Funny how such small things like these humorous conversations can lighten the whole mood and make the characters likable.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Misael wrote: 01 Mar 2019, 04:02 It takes talent to be funny and humorous, much more to have it written. And to inject humour in a very serious theme is amazing.
Agreed that being funny is an innate trait. Once cannot simply be just that humorous and witty overnight. Injecting humor in a very serious theme could fall in either two ways: good or bad. Luckily, the author has the talent to make it a good one. Also, as his friend on Facebook, he often posts witty anecdotes and punchlines - which I find funny. I guess that explains the humor in this book. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Not really a fan of historical fictions bit the humor in this book is the only reason I want to read it. I hope I enjoy it.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by hala-elnagy »

It is great when the author is able to ease the reader's mood with some comicality mixed with the seriousness of the subject.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I didn't feel humour was a huge part of the book but it was great when it did pop up, the different phrases Jacko came out with were very funny!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

I wouldn't know as I am yet to read the book. It sure sounds like a good read, though.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Of course, Jacko is the clown among both men, and he quickly piqued my interest when he absolutely refused to call Jamie "Cap" and nothing else. I always enjoy it when it appears Jamie's talking to himself when he tries to get Jacko to quit with the nickname; the man just goes on with whatever it is he was on about.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

This book main theme is actually that of war but the author did a good job gaining more audience by adding some comedy along side. Jacko definitely did it for me
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

Jacko was my favourite character due to how funny he was. The author's ability to infuse humour in a tense war situation was so epic.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

I haven't read this book as yet, but this thread piqued my interest in reading it because I love humour as a theme. Character's sense of humour tells a lot about them, so it is always interesting to see it being incorporated into novels...
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Humor is something that never fades. It doesn't die, no matter how old the book maybe. I like this book, personally.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I actually felt that Fifi was the funniest character, though I did appreciate Jacko's personality. She was very over-the-top and dramatic, and always had something charming and funny to say to the boys. I particularly enjoyed the parts where she'd dramatically threaten to shoot the boys over things like boredom, and how she would keep bringing up the 'loony bin'.
I really appreciated the humour as it made the story feel more real, as people often joked to deal with the difficulties of war. Definitely the female spy characters had some of the funniest lines!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

An history book full of humor! That sounds like a good combination. I hope I get to read this book soon.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

this book really sounds like a very funny one. I have to add it to my bookshelf