Women Characters as Spies

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Women Characters as Spies

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Using women as spies is smart. Problem is, there wasn't great character development. It is this that made them uneffective.
MA
DALINTON
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by DALINTON »

Though the women may be depicted as smart, there could still be an improvement in regard to their role and their character development. Women deserve more than stereotype roles, even if such roles seem to intend to show their strength or intelligence
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Spying seemed to be secondary, to feminine wiles. I don't like it.
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

The women didn't seem much like spies. The way their looks and bodies were displayed, brushed over any other real commentary I think.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I personally did not find a problem of how the women were portrayed. I found that it was necessary for the women to be manipulative in order to archive there tasks.
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

Even though the girls were described as being smart and beautiful and they each had their personal reasons for choosing to be spies, it was clear that because of their line of work, they were able to get close to their targets. I did not like the way they were portrayed. Women can accomplish just about anything a man can do without using her body. At least the girls could of been provided with some self defense classes.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

For me, I was looking at the time period. I think that women’s roles in books have changed. I didn’t find any of it offensive because my focus was more on Jacko and Jamie as the main characters. The roles of the women had a “classic/ old” feel which lends to the time period of the book.
Everything happens for a reason...
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

Out of all the females, Yasmina stands out the most for me because of her smartness and sharp wit. Despite this, I think the females are quite gullible and disposable as spies.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 17:18 This is a theme I notice more and more as I get older, and don't necessarily see improving in many of the newer books released. And my patience with it is a lot thinner than it used to be. Women as "strong" is great but it seems to be a substitute for women as people, especially among male authors. I agree with the comments made here about Yasmina, Fahmy, Fifi, and Yvette.

That being said, I wasn't necessarily expecting much since historical fiction war books written by men tend to be really terrible at this, and I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. But I think its a weakness in this book and in the genre, and I'm kind of sick of excusing it. (And I'm torn about that because many otherwise good books have that as a flaw, and I'm never sure how harsh its fair to be about it.)

Thank you for this topic, I think it's something we need to talk about more!
I really llike how you have put this and I do agree with you. I also do believe that women themselves need to pave a way on how this is to be addressed by making better stories. I felt like I was missing something but you actiually put a finger on it. Thanks a bunch.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I feel that the role of the female spies in this book was only subservient to that of the male characters and thus the way they were portrayed was less than complementary to their intelligence.However without doubt they acted out their roles fearlessly considering the risk involved with spying during such a tumultuous period.
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by nbel »

This is a very interesting topic. I think that every person interprets it differently. I thought that the role of the female spies in this book was only subservient to the male characters.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

Charlyt wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 10:36 In your opinion, how were the women portrayed in the story? The German spies used belly dancers like Yasmina and Fahmy, and our main characters used prostitutes like Fifi and Yvette, all to spy for their side's advantage.

Were the women portrayed to be independent and brave to be working as important assets to help win the war? Or were they depicted as easily manipulated and useful for their physical capabilities and characteristics?

Did you find them smart and fearless, or deceitful and manipulative?
I found the women in this book to be smart and fearless. Regardless of whether they were belly dancers or prostitutes, they were spies. They went undercover and gained information from the opposing sides. If men were to do that, then they would be praised, and their bravery would not be questioned. Should it not be the same for Yasmina and Fahmy, or Fifi and Yvette?
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I think that they sound fierce, athough I don't like the portraying of the girls as prostitutes because it doesn't sound so good.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

Even though the characters are portrayed as strong women, it is evident that their looks are given more importance. but it isn't demeaning. They use their beauty as a distraction. It obviously works. Where men are allowed to gawk at women, I don't think there is anything wrong with women using it to their advantage.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I'm half and half on the matter. Many of the women voiced reasons to want the nazi's out, and were so acting in their own interests when assisting the protagonists in the war. This would have been very risky for them as one slip up could potentially have them killed. I think a lot of the women characters were interesting, brave, and especially in the case of Sarah very independent.
I do however feel that from a writing standpoint, none of the women seemed to have interests outside of what they could do for men nor did we get much insight into the female frienships as we did male friendships. More could have been done to develop them as people.
Good and interesting characters, but a lot of wasted potential.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”