Women Characters as Spies

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Re: Women Characters as Spies

Post by ayomie »

Its a world where women are commonly taken advantage of. The physical attributes of these women largely contributed to their success as spies.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Wow guys! Interesting comments. I am new and haven't read this book yet but plan to do so. After reading your comments I am anxious to get at it! I'll post my opinion of the women when I'm done!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

I agree with you
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
ShaniaG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShaniaG »

In my option they were portrayed as prostitutes but were still brave because we live in a world where they still think women are the lesser species. So being able to use their bodies but still gather information as spies was amazing
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think this one's a double edged sword for me. On the one hand, the women got much less character development than the men, but on the other, I think them being belly dancers and prostitutes did play a large role in why they were so successful in their spying endeavours. It is a tired trope, but given that it's still a thing that happens in the real world, apparently, I have a slightly more forgiving view of this specific novel.

Not to mention, the women who weren't spies, aside from the murder and kidnap victims, weren't either of these things, but were sort of elevated at times, like Jacko's sister, Sarah, being much better at tracking than he was.

I also think it's a side effect of having the point of view be so close to the men, so it doesn't give much development to characters they don't interact with on a frequent basis.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Prostitutes and dancers are the typical ways male authors depict women. They are supporting characters to the male lead, and thus, less important.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

The women played their roles smartly and fearlessly and with their talent were successful in deceiving and manipulating the mindsets of the opponents.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
scrivoio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrivoio.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by scrivoio »

Ever_Reading wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 14:15 I am glad you brought this up. I didn't like how women were generally portrayed in the book. In my opinion, most of the female spies were easily disposable. Out of all of them, Yasmina was the most well-developed. I couldn't tell the rest apart from one another. It felt like they were simply included to benefit and help Jamie, Jacko and the other lead male characters.

While they came across as smart, it was clear their looks and bodies did most of the work for them. They were effective in their roles but I wish more work could have been done to make their personalities shine through.
Dude, I totally agree. It was like the women were objectified even as they were being (supposedly) “empowered”. Almost as if they were dehumanized and deconstructed and washed-out to be the bare minimum of a plot-driven character. There wasn’t any pathos. Like you said, it felt like they were easily disposable, just complimentary to the male characters. Almost like they were accessories rather than people.
scrivoio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrivoio.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by scrivoio »

Itskai88 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 16:52 From what I have noticed, the female characters in the story were portrayed as strong but the only problem probably stems from the fact that character development wasn't evident.
Bad character development totally kills a story, honestly. The plot can be great, but if the characters suck, the story will suck, too. Good characters can carry a lame plot, but even a dope plot can’t support poorly written characters.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

They were strong and fearless. But I felt that they were used and manipulated. The only female character who was not manipulated appeared to be Jacko's sister, Sarah and she was not directly related to the war.
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

I think the problem with women in the book isn't that they're incapable, it's that they're all basically the same kind of capable. They're almost completely interchangeable- they're all smart, flirty, courageous...
They are all too much alike, so there's basically no difference between them. Thus, they become weirdly uninteresting.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Philip LoPresti wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 18:24 I think the problem with women in the book isn't that they're incapable, it's that they're all basically the same kind of capable. They're almost completely interchangeable- they're all smart, flirty, courageous...
They are all too much alike, so there's basically no difference between them. Thus, they become weirdly uninteresting.
You raise an excellent point here, though I do have to wonder. Is it that it was done because of a lack of interest in developing extended points of view for them, or is it because the author chose not to focus on things that did not directly contribute to the overall character arcs for Jack and Jamie?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Wilkister94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wilkister94.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Wilkister94 »

The far I have read this book I must confess that the women characters as spies were portrayed as strong creatures. The likes of Fifi and Yvette.
Philip LoPresti
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Favorite Book: The Sparrow
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-lopresti.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by Philip LoPresti »

I'm not sure, but I think it's part of an overall pattern. The people Jacko and Jamie encounter in the Outback are all eerily similar as well. Perhaps the writer felt that one he had a character type he liked to write, that's what he stuck with.
I don't think any of the women are poorly characterized per se, but they definitely are all alike.
I think it undercuts how strong the female characters are, or should be.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

I think that the women presented in this piece were intelligent, strong, and cunning. The women used their bodies, minds and skills to their advantage. That being said, they were somewhat stereotypical, and it would have been interesting to see the female characters developed a bit more. The focus in this book was on the main male characters, not the females, which is not unusual for this genre.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”