Jacko's roots

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Re: Jacko's roots

Post by DC Brown »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:11 Jacko's roots definitely helped with getting the mission done. This is further emphasized when Sarah comes into the picture. It's clear to see that it's the skills that they learned from a young age that makes survival almost intrinsic to them.
I have to agree that Jacko and Sarah were invaluable to their missions. I'm glad the author included them. Definitely would have been a much duller book without them!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Jacko was certainly their biggest asset in this mission.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

I think the author intentionally uses Jacko as a character because of his Aborigine roots. In most cases, it ended up being a blessing to their mission.
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

Jack's roots played a massive role in their mission being a success. From saving Jamie from the machine gun shooter in the desert, to blending in with the local Egyptian and being able to get them to trust him enough to talk to him. The mission probably would have been successful without him but it definitely would have been much more difficult.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

It's possible, but it would have been much slower and more complicated to achieve. Jacko is a really interesting character who can do a lot, and so was a huge part of a lot of their success. Maybe they could have achieved the same things, but without him there with his amazing reflexes and unique skills it probably would have gone badly. I almost expected him to have more problems just because he spends so much of the book being almost like a superhero. I think not just his skills, but his attitude helps a lot as well - he's a likeable guy.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I think Jacko’s role is established early on when he saves Jamie on the battlefield. His physical skills and abilities have made him a force to be reckoned with. He makes a great spy and the book would have lacked depth without his character. While Jamie is ok in his own right, the two working together is a good match.
Everything happens for a reason...
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

Without Jacko, it would be very difficult if not impossible. He was a great asset.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Jamie, Jacko, and Sarah are all indispensable characters, and so supportive of each other, you need someone you can rely on utterly in times like war and rousting the enemy. I love the Aussie slang and the pidgin English which completely enliven the dialogue and make the characters so real.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I'd say so. Though I am more familiar with Jacko and Jamie in the sequel, Jacko's knack for the wildlife and charming charisma was an advantage both in the war and out. I sometimes think that Jacko and Jamie's friendship relies on Jacko's good humor, and honestly who wouldn't? In war, everyone needs a good laugh if only to forget their shared trauma.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

No, I don't. Jacko was able to blend in with the natives and he was aware of his surroundings more than the others in his group.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I think the book makes a point of bending its narrative around Jacko's, and Sarah's by extension, abilities. It would definitely be a different story of Jacko wasn't there and much more complicated. Jacko's abilities made the mission go more smoothly than not in Egypt but it wouldn't be impossible without him. It's just that it focuses on him because he's a main character.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

ma_mon28 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 04:24
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:54 His roots were a big part of the story, even the book's title should be informative in who to follow most.
Yah, I noticed it, too. I'm even confused who is the main character because Jamie was introduced first, but Jacko's background seems to be the main character as warramunga.
So right. As per the title, Jacko was/should have been the main character yet Jamie was the "main man" - probably because of his rank? I really enjoyed the way Jacko's Aboriginal roots played such a big role and I found the use of his skills thrilling.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I agree, it s human instinct to trust those that look like us as we feel closer to them and find them easier to relate to even if they have nothing in common. It is also instinct to reject that which is foreign to us. Based on this, without Jacko it would have been much harder for them to blend in; their association with him made them more credible.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Jacko was easily the key role who helped to win the war in a major manner. his roots were the sole cause he was so talented and he never shied away from displaying it. his immense versatility helped them a great deal to win their part of the war
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I think that Jacko played a crucial role in their success, and his origins and special abilities enhanced his importance.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”