Jacko's roots

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Jacko's roots

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I was just wondering whether the mission in Egypt would have been successful if it weren't for Jacko's aboriginal roots. I think non of the others could blend in as easily. Also, his unique abilities played a big role. Do you think they could have helped in winning the desert war as much as they did had Jacko not been a part of the team?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:57 I was just wondering whether the mission in Egypt would have been successful if it weren't for Jacko's aboriginal roots. I think non of the others could blend in as easily. Also, his unique abilities played a big role. Do you think they could have helped in winning the desert war as much as they did had Jacko not been a part of the team?
I like Jamie as the main character but I do believe the book centers more on Jacko's character. And yes, I really like to think that Jacko was the key to their victories. If it weren't for him, I think they would have not been as successful as they were.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

His roots played an important part of the book even his romantic life; he's the star. For Jamie- might be in the next sequel.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Jacko was definitely a huge asset in their mission especially the fact that he can blend in easily. But in the instance that Jacko didn't bacome part of their team, I think they still would have found a successful way to spy on the enemies to help win the war. Jaime also had good abilities, and they would've probably relied more on the girls they hired.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Jacko really played a huge role as it was easy for the locals to relate with him. He didn't stand out and this helped form relations that helped in attaining their success.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Charlyt wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 01:15 Jacko was definitely a huge asset in their mission especially the fact that he can blend in easily. But in the instance that Jacko didn't bacome part of their team, I think they still would have found a successful way to spy on the enemies to help win the war. Jaime also had good abilities, and they would've probably relied more on the girls they hired.
Ah, very true, the girls probably would have been more involved, as they would blend in much easier.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

DorcasToo wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 02:20 Jacko really played a huge role as it was easy for the locals to relate with him. He didn't stand out and this helped form relations that helped in attaining their success.
My thoughts, exactly. The locals opened up more because Jacko could blend in with them.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Jacko's roots definitely helped with getting the mission done. This is further emphasized when Sarah comes into the picture. It's clear to see that it's the skills that they learned from a young age that makes survival almost intrinsic to them.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Charlyt wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 01:15 Jacko was definitely a huge asset in their mission especially the fact that he can blend in easily. But in the instance that Jacko didn't bacome part of their team, I think they still would have found a successful way to spy on the enemies to help win the war. Jaime also had good abilities, and they would've probably relied more on the girls they hired.
I get what you mean. But think about it... If Jacko hadn't saved Jamie in the beginning, Jamie would have probably died. The team would have lacked both of them in the end. Johnny would have never been able to make it without their help.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Kajori50 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 15:08
DorcasToo wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 02:20 Jacko really played a huge role as it was easy for the locals to relate with him. He didn't stand out and this helped form relations that helped in attaining their success.
My thoughts, exactly. The locals opened up more because Jacko could blend in with them.
I'm with you on this one. I guess it's human nature to be drawn to and trust most those who look like our own.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:16
I get what you mean. But think about it... If Jacko hadn't saved Jamie in the beginning, Jamie would have probably died. The team would have lacked both of them in the end. Johnny would have never been able to make it without their help.
That’s true. But I was thinking ahead when they were already in Egypt, like in the probability that Jamie didn’t choose Jacko to go with him. But you’re right as well. :)
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Charlyt wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:26
Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:16
That’s true. But I was thinking ahead when they were already in Egypt, like in the probability that Jamie didn’t choose Jacko to go with him. But you’re right as well. :)
Ohh, when you put it like that, I see what you mean. Jamie would have definitely been able to hold his own without Jacko.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

His roots were a big part of the story, even the book's title should be informative in who to follow most.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:54 His roots were a big part of the story, even the book's title should be informative in who to follow most.
Yah, I noticed it, too. I'm even confused who is the main character because Jamie was introduced first, but Jacko's background seems to be the main character as warramunga.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:11 Jacko's roots definitely helped with getting the mission done. This is further emphasized when Sarah comes into the picture. It's clear to see that it's the skills that they learned from a young age that makes survival almost intrinsic to them.
Their race and culture seems their bet as fighters.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”