Jacko's roots

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Jacko's roots

Post by briellejee »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:11 Jacko's roots definitely helped with getting the mission done. This is further emphasized when Sarah comes into the picture. It's clear to see that it's the skills that they learned from a young age that makes survival almost intrinsic to them.
I agree that Sarah's entrance in the book made it all clear that their skills and abilities are innate and are very useful in the mission.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:54 His roots were a big part of the story, even the book's title should be informative in who to follow most.
Yes I agree, though Jamie seems to be the main character, I think the whole book tries to highlight Jacko's roots. Even in the second book, it is still Jacko's origins that are being portrayed.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Jacko's greatest asset is his ability to blend in. That's the greatest reason why the locals opened up to him so easily.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Jacko's roots definitely played a major role in the war: he was easily able to blend in with the locals in Egypt, and his tracking skills and those of his sister were pivotal in locating the criminals at the end. The book's title underlines his importance in the story.
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

Charlyt wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 01:15 Jacko was definitely a huge asset in their mission especially the fact that he can blend in easily. But in the instance that Jacko didn't bacome part of their team, I think they still would have found a successful way to spy on the enemies to help win the war. Jaime also had good abilities, and they would've probably relied more on the girls they hired.
Oh, good point! While I understand the book being Jacko's story, the ladies would definitely have been an asset if he hadn't been involved.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:57 I was just wondering whether the mission in Egypt would have been successful if it weren't for Jacko's aboriginal roots. I think non of the others could blend in as easily. Also, his unique abilities played a big role. Do you think they could have helped in winning the desert war as much as they did had Jacko not been a part of the team?
It is said that there are several ways to kill a rat.
Even though Jacko's aboriginal roots and abilities contributed greatly to their success, I think they would have found another way to get the victory if he wasn't in the team. His presence only made their success come easier and faster.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Natural gifts always help the spies. But if you are a spy, you know how to manipulate what you have got, and get the same advantage that another spy with a natural gift might get
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The ability to bond quickly and form connections with the local was a nice strategy which I believe led to the eventual success of the war. Jacko's presence, therefore, meant much. However, I am sure that even in his absence, other strategies would have been employed that would have led to victory.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I do not want to spoil any of the other books of this series for anyone. But to answer the question in this book I do not believe that the mission would have been successful without Jacko. But, each character does their own significants in this as well as throughout the other stories/missions arise.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

As well as blending in with the locals, Jacko's roots would have equipped him with some finely tuned instincts that are quite unknown to Westerners and I think the author used this to great effect when writing this book. Jacko's efforts, as well as the help received from Sarah, gave the war effort an added dimension in literary terms. It must be said that with or without these characters, I believe the final result would have been the same but not quite as interesting!
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

Samy Lax wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 23:00 Jacko's greatest asset is his ability to blend in. That's the greatest reason why the locals opened up to him so easily.
His character helps the team very well. No wonder why Jamie made him his companion going to Cairo. Jamie might knew that his buddy perfectly fits in.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Miercoles wrote: 09 Feb 2019, 00:08 Jacko's roots definitely played a major role in the war: he was easily able to blend in with the locals in Egypt, and his tracking skills and those of his sister were pivotal in locating the criminals at the end. The book's title underlines his importance in the story.
Very well said! His root makes the title more interesting. I thought the story flows more on Jamie as the introductory character is. A very big help in the history; fighting those Germans a character like Jacko.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Kibetious wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 04:58 The ability to bond quickly and form connections with the local was a nice strategy which I believe led to the eventual success of the war. Jacko's presence, therefore, meant much. However, I am sure that even in his absence, other strategies would have been employed that would have led to victory.
👍👍👍👍👍
A character like him helps the dreadful war in halt; we are now experiencing freedom. Hoping for no WWIII will arise, the story seems kindling nowadays.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Sushan wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 02:34 Natural gifts always help the spies. But if you are a spy, you know how to manipulate what you have got, and get the same advantage that another spy with a natural gift might get
I guess even without the natural gifts, a spy could learn them just by being manupulative. It would take years of experience before mastering these natural skills.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think the author added Jacko's character in order to make the book have more depth and a touch of humor. Although Jamie is the protagonist, Jacko definintly takes a lead role in my opinion.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”