The killer SPOILER

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Re: The killer SPOILER

Post by NicholsC97 »

I'm throwing my bet on Matt. He was way too shift at the start to not be involved somehow, even if it isn't just him, he was involved somehow.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I think books are great that you can't see who's the bad guy before it is revealed. Both are super shady.
DottyC
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dottyc.html
Latest Review: Forgiven by Geoff Lawson

Post by DottyC »

janinewesterweel wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 04:56 I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
I completely agree! I normally work it out pretty quickly but didn't this time so I was also shocked. I didn't have suspicions it was him but I think it was mainly because I was focussed on the espionage which I found really interesting. I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I thought something was off with Matt from the beginning. But, I never thought he'd be the rapist murderer. That's why I was so confused about what he said about the departure of the
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I thought something was off with Matt from the beginning. But, I never thought he'd be the rapist murderer. That's why I was so confused about what he said about the sudden departure of Farida.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Crazyreader01 wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 09:58 I've never really thought to predict the events of a story. Sure some characters give off certain vibes that you just know that they'll be the villain or whatever, but I usually tend to just go along with the story and not try to think about what might happen. Maybe that's why I always get really annoyed with authors when they kill off a character or a character that I really liked turns out to be the evil one. Maybe I should start trying to predict what will happen.
My philosophy exactly! Just read and enjoy - and if there's a real "ah hah!" moment, even better. 😀
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

DottyC wrote: 11 Apr 2019, 03:57
janinewesterweel wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 04:56 I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
I completely agree! I normally work it out pretty quickly but didn't this time so I was also shocked. I didn't have suspicions it was him but I think it was mainly because I was focussed on the espionage which I found really interesting. I'm glad I wasn't the only one!
Haha...and ditto! I think that was it - he was so much a part of the interesting espionage that we were completely sidetracked and didn't see the subplot coming at all!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Leean12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leean12.html

Post by Leean12 »

I recently finished reading this book. I enjoyed most of it, however I must say that it was way too obvious who the killer was. I was expecting a nice twist at the end! :D But anyway, it was still a great read.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Leean12 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 08:45 I recently finished reading this book. I enjoyed most of it, however I must say that it was way too obvious who the killer was. I was expecting a nice twist at the end! :D But anyway, it was still a great read.
It very much was. If I may, what made you suspect him?
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

It was not predictable from the beginning but it clearly started to show when the rape cases got more importance as the story progressed. It was definitely Matt as we've seen his diabolical nature in the book.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

All clues pointed to Max and at first I thought that was just a misleading element the author used to head into a major plot twist. When it ended up being him after all I felt simultaneously disappointed and vindicated. On the other hand, had Kater not given any clues at all, any hint that Matt was more than me the eye, it would have been shocking and downright absurd when the novel concluded with him as the antagonist. Authors should maintain a balance so that the villain isn't so easy to discern.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”