The killer SPOILER

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: The killer SPOILER

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:12
Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:00
briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
I know right! When it seems a bit obvious who the culprit is, I usually assume the author is trying to trick me. :lol2:
Hahaha, yeah, but then again, the author might make him look suspicious, to make you think it's too obvious and mislead you, just to reveal it was actually him all along. Does that make sense?
That too!! I mean this is one of the cons of reading too much spy novels and detective stories, it makes your mind suspicious of everything the author has written. It's like playing mind games while reading, i hate it and like it sometimes :lol2:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Vlinstry wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 14:26 I always assumed Matt much like most people here but I am so bad at this that I assume I am wrong and have missed some background character who is obviously the killer!
I know that feeling! Sometimes i have to reread the book because of it. Ahhhh. Follow the intuition! :wink:
Taylor Danvers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-danvers.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Taylor Danvers »

I think it was Matt and Johnny asking that question is only a diversion.
:happy-cheerleaderkid: :text-feedback: :text-welcomeconfetti:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
I know right! When it seems a bit obvious who the culprit is, I usually assume the author is trying to trick me. :lol2:
Hahaha, yeah, but then again, the author might make him look suspicious, to make you think it's too obvious and mislead you, just to reveal it was actually him all along. Does that make sense?
YES, exactly! That way you think it must be everyone else but the obvious suspect. :eusa-think:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

briellejee wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 20:06

That too!! I mean this is one of the cons of reading too much spy novels and detective stories, it makes your mind suspicious of everything the author has written. It's like playing mind games while reading, i hate it and like it sometimes :lol2:
Say it louder for the people at the back! :lol2: It's a love-hate kind of relationship.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:09
Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:58 At one point, I suspected Johnny. But, I always had a bad feeling about Matt. Oddly enough, it was how he easily charmed Fanny that raised a red flag for me. Granted, Fanny was in a bad space after her husband's death. But still, Matt was a bit too smooth for my liking.
Weird, I never really had a red flag moment, I just didn't trust the guy. But I guess you are right, for such a shy bloke to chat up a girl like that, he must have sensed a victim type in her. Only now did it get me thinking, why he never hurt Fanny? Do you think he was in love? No, or do you? Or was she just a cover to maybe push any suspisions away from himself?
Mmm, you are onto something. I never actually thought about that. I think he was in it for the thrill in the beginning but fell for her eventually. The care and respect he showed her is one you cannot easily fake.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 01:08
briellejee wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 20:06

Say it louder for the people at the back! :lol2: It's a love-hate kind of relationship.
We're making things complicated and it sometimes fun but also makes ng your mind go in circles :lol2:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It was always Matt. The story about the face scars was fishy from the very start.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:09 Weird, I never really had a red flag moment, I just didn't trust the guy. But I guess you are right, for such a shy bloke to chat up a girl like that, he must have sensed a victim type in her. Only now did it get me thinking, why he never hurt Fanny? Do you think he was in love? No, or do you? Or was she just a cover to maybe push any suspisions away from himself?
I thought initially that she was just a cover to puh any suspicions but then he really fell for her. Can't really cover those caring gestures up. :wink2:
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I agree, Matt was the obvious choice. He seemed to be that "too suspicious" character, but with the style of the book I didn't look too deeply at that like I normally would have done.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
Chikari
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chikari.html
Latest Review: The Talking Baobab Tree by Nelda LaTeef
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by Chikari »

This is a really great question! It was super hard to tell. My money was on Matt for sure though! Very well written characters.
**Always happy to go on a new adventure!**
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I knew it was Matt from the beginning. At the end my prediction was actually right.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

I always thought it was Matt, I never even considered Johnny. I guess I liked Johnny too much and Matt just rubbed me the wrong way, as they say.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

janinewesterweel wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 04:56 I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
What made you think he wasn't the one? :D

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”