The diversity of the characters

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The diversity of the characters

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Melissa Breen wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 15:03 I loved the diversity and the inclusion of the accents and native languages. I didn't understand a few sentences here and there but it added to the experience and it was nice for a change.
I also got confused a couple of times throughout the book, especially when Sarah was speaking. Nonetheless, it made reading the book unique. :mrgreen:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Morgan Jones wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 06:49 I love diversity in books where travelling is a constant theme. It's just unnatural to find people speaking English all throughout the world with perfect accents.
Right? It often feels like we just took Americans and simply transported them to a different part of the world. Capturing the nuances of different destinations and people often makes a book relatable and enjoyable to read!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 07:38 This enhanced my reading experience.
This was most definitely the case for me. It's one of the aspects that made the book memorable for me.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 07:39 The range did have the desired effect of making me look at the characters differently. Their origin and background was a welcoming addition in these new locations.
Most definitely. Kater's attention to detail definitely paid off with this one. For me, it felt like I was there with the characters. :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

KitabuKizuri wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 13:02 I had ignored this book for a while, but seeing the comments here makes me feel like I'm missing out...
You most definitely are missing out, my friend! :lol2: Especially if you are a fan of historical fiction.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

mamilla93 wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 16:24 I love the diversity of characters. Makes the book a very interesting read and definitely contributes to making the story more engaging.
I totally agree. It's like a breath of fresh air!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 18:16 I admire the author for taking the challenge of diversity in his writings. Yes, sometimes the change in dialogue rhythm slowed down my reading pace, but it was worth it to me. Very interesting!
Indeed. At times, I had to reread lines twice over to understand. But, that's the beauty of life right? We don't always understand each other perfectly in real time. This made the book a lot more realistic for me.
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Rayasaurus wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 13:42 I like the diversity! Seeing different cultures and nationalities in a book really makes it better for me, because I cannot afford to travel and see as many places and peoples as I would like.
Oh yes! Books are definitely the cheapest vacation you can buy! Lucky for me, I got this one for free! :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Ever_Reading wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 10:37
Indeed. At times, I had to reread lines twice over to understand. But, that's the beauty of life right? We don't always understand each other perfectly in real time. This made the book a lot more realistic for me.
Didn't see it this way that rereading a line is equal to making it realistic situations until you mentioned it. Come to think of it, sometimes we really don't understand each other at once. :eusa-think:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Kater brought in the diversity of different cultures very efficiently. The dialect used in between did not distract me from enjoying the book. In fact it helped to imbibe the essence of each culture in the story
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

Ever_Reading wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 10:34
KitabuKizuri wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 13:02 I had ignored this book for a while, but seeing the comments here makes me feel like I'm missing out...
You most definitely are missing out, my friend! :lol2: Especially if you are a fan of historical fiction.
Fair dinkum, been reading it and its definitely an adventure!
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

I thought that the diversity of characters enhanced the book. Also, when some of the characters spoke in their native tongue it helped to add authenticity to the book.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I did enjoy the diversity of characters in the book. Everything seems very well researched and credible. Kudos to the author! He portrays so many ethnicities and nationalities. I felt like I actually traveled to these places and spoke to the people there.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

fictaddict wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 16:00 It always irks me when characters go to another country (especially in a historical novel), and meet people who talk and act just like modern-day Americans. It makes me think the author has never traveled.
Right?! And all of a sudden they all speak perfect English. I understand it's the language you write in, but it's so much nicer to read some words and phrases in other languages. And then again, how much effort does the author have to make nowadays to find some words, even if he doesn't travel.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 03:46 I like the diversity, it exposes the reader to other cultures which is a great ingredient for improving tolerance among people.
Well said! I didn't really think of that, but you're so right! If only more people read actual books, not just facebook comments :wink:

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”