Who do you think the title refers to?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Who do you think the title refers to?

Post by 56lives »

I think that the initial reaction to this question would be to identify Jacko as the person being referred to. However, the story continues in the outback of Australia where he and Jamie hunt down criminals and war criminals who escaped from Egypt. The Aborigines or Warramungas helped them both in this endeavour so I would say that the title includes his sister, his people as well as himself.
I have read a sample of the book only but from the quote above, I think the title refers to the battles Jacko and Jamie were engaged in back in Australia, with the assistance of the Warramunga tribesmen against some criminals. It all started in Syria where Jamie was impressed by Jacko's marksmanship.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I agree that the title refers to Jacko and his Aboriginal heritage.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

I actually had to look up what that word meant when I was reading the sequel (The Warramunga's Aftermath of War) and I thought they were talking about Australia in general. But after reading the comments on here, I'm pretty sure they are talking about Jacko and his heritage...
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

i think it refers to the warramunga themselves, the Australian natives who have fought with all their might during the world war
Gracedscribe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracedscribe.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Gracedscribe »

I felt the title was ambiguous. Yes, Jacko is the Warramunga in the story, the tribe is depicted in full blood by the end of the story, Jamie does get initiated into the tribe as a Warramunga brother, but in no way did I feel that any of these events centralised the Warramunga enough to justify the title.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

briellejee wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 11:39 To be honest, the title reminded me of a warship. It's more like a "what" instead of a "who" for me. Warramunga is a name of navy ship used for war and that was my first impression of the title of the book. But after reading, I think I realized that it actually referred to Jacko and his skills as a half-Warramunga aboriginal and how such a native may have won the war due to his inborn qualities and sharing them with Jamie as well. This is further expanded too in the second book of the series entitled "The Skills of the Warramunga". So I believed the book, and the rest of the series is centered on the Warramunga tribe. :tiphat:
I didn't know about the navy ship thing. Thankyou for the info.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

The title seems pretty singular to me, as in one individual and not a group, meaning Jacko and to a further extent Jaime, considering he was accepted as the Warramunga's brother. The novel centers around them and the missions they go on, so it seems relatively straightforward to me. The relationship between the novel and the title is abundantly clear as the novel progresses.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

I also failed to make sense of the title at first. After Jacko's origins were explained, I then thought that the title referred to him. However, the author puts Jaime at the forefront of the story most times, thus I came to the conclusion that the story refers to him since he becomes initiated as a brother of the Warramunga tribe.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”